1/72 BOAC Mosquito G-AGGG

Straight from the box models are like lotteries when compared to the big projects I do. Making a quick model of an old Airfix Mossie into a BOAC plane, G-AGGG. I'll be using Liveries Unlimited decals. The model will have no mods done. These were unarmed so the gun holes are all filled in. The wings were very stubburn, they went into the fuselage recces until I put glue in them. The large rivets I sanded them down till almost gone.

G-AGGG-wip-May-27-2019.jpg

I had to fight with the landing gear. The mudguard mounts didn't want to line up, made a new piece and both axles broke off. Even the wheels wouldn't point parallel. I put a small piece of plastic in behind where the prop shaft is so I can put the props on after it's painted. I had to modify the mounting of the mud guard fenders to fit the mounting.

G-AGGG-wip-May-28-2019.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Good job so far. I’ve made three over the years and the undercarriage was a ‘mare on all of them - even when the mould was new.

Trevor

Thanks, is this the same mold as on the nest reissue? I built a Matchbox one years ago and it was nicer.

Nest???

The mould is pretty much the same from over the years, even the marking options are the same. The type of plastic seems to have changed to a horrible hard type.

Time for a new mould methinks.

Trevor

• Like 1

I built this kit when it came out at first (1965 or thereabouts). It was a kit I desperately wanting because of the Mossie's regular features in comics like Eagle, Lion and Valiant, and those little war comic like Commando etc (I was adicted to them!). I thought it was brilliant, but to this day I can still remember being annoyed at the wonky wheels.

I''ve just finished Airfix's original Dak, which someone referred to as a 'nostalgia' build. Must follow it up with an Airfix Mosquito, and this time get the wheels straight!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Nest???

The mould is pretty much the same from over the years, even the marking options are the same. The type of plastic seems to have changed to a horrible hard type.

Time for a new mould methinks.

Trevor

Missed the dubya, newest. I have the Hasegawa kit and looking for a Tamiya kit for myself. This one was given to me to build.

12 hours ago, alancmlaird said:

I built this kit when it came out at first (1965 or thereabouts). It was a kit I desperately wanting because of the Mossie's regular features in comics like Eagle, Lion and Valiant, and those little war comic like Commando etc (I was adicted to them!). I thought it was brilliant, but to this day I can still remember being annoyed at the wonky wheels.

I''ve just finished Airfix's original Dak, which someone referred to as a 'nostalgia' build. Must follow it up with an Airfix Mosquito, and this time get the wheels straight!

I found the axle breaking a good thing. I also glued the wheels and flat spotted the tyres. Going to pin them down to a base later. Nostalgia builds are good now and them, makes you appreciate the good kits.

11 hours ago, Moa said:

Looking forward to see in all the splendour of its civil registration!

A bit of hard work it seems

I was wondering if the area where the roundels and markings used to be would be different since they would have been painted over. Most pictures of the model online show it all uniformly painted.

11 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Hi There,

Really looking forward to this one. What a fantastic idea.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice start, I have the same decals and same kit to finish one day :thumbsup: :popcorn:

My procrastination club always has an opening, still working on the meeting date.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

My procrastination club always has an opening, still working on the meeting date.

Club motto...."Tempus est iam consules mora exacerbaverant" (The time for procrastination is now)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, alancmlaird said:

Club motto...."Tempus est iam consules mora exacerbaverant" (The time for procrastination is now)

I'm trying to procrastinate from procrastinating, doesn't seem to work.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I'm trying to procrastinate from procrastinating, doesn't seem to work.

Maybe you should leave it for a bit. Sleep on it. Try again at the end of the month. Maybe.

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, StephenCJ said:

Beginning of the next month.  Is it finished yet?

Procrastinating is a horrible disease.

If I could bottle it, it would make drugs obselete instantly.

2 hours ago, bombercommand said:

For some more information check out M J Hardy's book " the de Havilland mosquito " available on eBay for less than £5. This airfix kit first hit the hobby shops in 1972 

I'll see what I can find on it. thanks.

It is possible to assemble the undercart & paint it before adding it to the  wing nacelles. I did this with my entry to the DH GB a couple of years back & was able to insert & remove the U/C  from below at will so after checking for alignment, I left it out till after decalling & clear coating. 

Sing out if any further explanation required.

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It is possible to assemble the undercart & paint it before adding it to the  wing nacelles. I did this with my entry to the DH GB a couple of years back & was able to insert & remove the U/C  from below at will so after checking for alignment, I left it out till after decalling & clear coating. 

Sing out if any further explanation required.

Steve.

Exact kit I have here. The extension of the nacelle that goes between the landing gear struts I had to trim, they just didn't work around the landing gear. I'll touch up the landing gear after painting. The colours are on now, just need to clear it and wait for the decals. Think I put a bit much thinner in the sky because it's taking forever to dry and a bit thin.

• Like 1

I'll be following this with interest. This'll be one of the mosquitos registered to BOAC for the "ball bearing runs" between Leuchars and Sweden (Bromma). Passengers were sometimes accommodated in the bomb bay on the return leg. Niels Bohr the Danish physicist was smuggled out on one of the flights, though there seems to be some confusion amongst sources as to whether he was carried on G-AGGG or G-AGGC. Other passengers included conductor Malcolm Sargent. I grew up near Leuchars and hope to do one of these mossies sometime, so I'll watch with great interest. 

Quack.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Quack said:

I'll be following this with interest. This'll be one of the mosquitos registered to BOAC for the "ball bearing runs" between Leuchars and Sweden (Bromma). Passengers were sometimes accommodated in the bomb bay on the return leg. Niels Bohr the Danish physicist was smuggled out on one of the flights, though there seems to be some confusion amongst sources as to whether he was carried on G-AGGG or G-AGGC. Other passengers included conductor Malcolm Sargent. I grew up near Leuchars and hope to do one of these mossies sometime, so I'll watch with great interest. 

Quack.

The one I ‘m  doing is AGGG. It has a connection to sir William Stevenson.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 8:31 AM, busnproplinerfan said:

was wondering if the area where the roundels and markings used to be would be different since they would have been painted over. Most pictures of the model online show it all uniformly painted.

I understand that these aircraft were delivered direct from the factory so probably would not have roundels overpainted. Happy to be corrected by others more knowledgeable.

Quack.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

The one I ‘m  doing is AGGG. It has a connection to sir William Stevenson.

Sir William Stephenson, Canadian head of British Security Coordination???

I'd be fascinated to hear any background story. Always makes a build so much more interesting. BSC was effectively part of MI6 and associated with other well known names such as Ian Fleming and Road Dahl.

Curious Quack.