10.5cm leFH 18 (Sf.) auf Geschützwagen 39H(f) - tracking along

Don't expect me to pronounce that correctly ...

It is one of these ... a German gun on a French (Hotchkiss) chassis.

lefh-000.jpg

The Germans made about 24 of these and lost them all in the Falaise Pocket.

There is a film of Rommel inspecting a group of these here:

Note: That film shows various H-39 chassis with three different guns.

I think the crews in this movie are wearing Sumpfmuster 44 camouflage tops.   Wish I knew, how to reproduce that?

• Like 6

10 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

A cute little dual-purpose make-do machine! That 10,5 cm field gun performed well as an anti-tank weapon too. :popcorn:. V-P

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Now that IS something different!

A very ungainly combination of massive gun and tiny tank chassis, it will make for a very interesting model.

3 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Oh yes! This will be worth watching

Thanks guys, yes it is small, and different.  Apart from the tracks (which I may replace) the kit looks like a nice, friendly exercise.

• Like 2

Hi Robert. This looks like a very interesting project in prospect. I don't think I have ever seen one of these before! :popcorn:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

I think this is the most excited I’ve been for a GB and for those that know me I do get excited for most. The fact we are kicking off midweek to mark the very day is just great as well. I’m trying not to commit to building 5 or 6 models...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I’m trying not to commit to building 5 or 6 models...

Thanks Stix.

It did take a bit of research to come up with something unusual, appropriate, and (I hope) buildable.

I think this is the most excited I’ve been for a GB and for those that know me I do get excited for most. The fact we are kicking off midweek to mark the very day is just great as well.

Thank-you Valkyrie,

I've seen some your other replies this forum (very constructive replies too, saving me a LOT of typing :) ).

I’m trying not to commit to building 5 or 6 models... 

There is a four letter word to answer that ... "Enzo"

You know what he'd say ....

(Poor guy, he comes in for a lot of schtick)

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Robert Stuart said:

There is a four letter word to answer that ... "Enzo"

You know what he'd say ....

(Poor guy, he comes in for a lot of schtick)

I'm going to get a t shirt made with WWES? on so when I'm at shows and the like fellow BMers will recognise me as one of their own :D 

Andy

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Foxbat said:

I'm going to get a t shirt made with WWES? on so when I'm at shows and the like fellow BMers will recognise me as one of their own :D 

Andy

LOL, just one T-shirt Andy? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And now, the sea is full of ships ...

Sprue shots:

lefh-003.jpg

lefh-002.jpg

lefh-001.jpg

lefh-004.jpg

The kit comes with a little sheet of etch, a turned aluminium barrel, and some springs for the suspension.

I've seen build logs showing the Trumperter kit can be built, but It is the little details that attracted me to the Bronco version over the older kit.

That track is a worry, and I may wind up using the metal alternative.

• Like 3

Nice work. I really want to try some German armour one day. I’ve only just noticed this now....The GB banner has the 5 invasion stripes going into the 5 D-Day beaches! I really need to pay attention...

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

Nice work. I really want to try some German armour one day.

German armour can be fun.

If you move away from the Pz III, IV, Panther and Tiger crowd, there are some weird and wonderful oddities.

Something similar could be said for British armour too.

22 minutes ago, Valkyrie said:

I’ve only just noticed this now....The GB banner has the 5 invasion stripes going into the 5 D-Day beaches! I really need to pay attention...

Well done, you are the first to mention it Valkyrie, so may be the first to notice too :)

I might be a mile or so off with those stripes, but I did try to cover the invasion front. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Nice to see some glue on plastic.

I seem to remember seeing one of these on last weeks D-Day footage rumbling along a French road on it's way to become a target for a marauding typhoon or Thunderbolt.

Thanks modelling minion.

Maybe this video.  It should start at the 37 seconds mark, after which you can see one of these flash past ...

https://youtu.be/fwYchb7vRhE?t=37

There are other types with the H39 chassis in there.

• Like 1

Once paint starts going on at any point you are well underway I feel. Looks like a lot of parts, you will be busy! I want to try my hand at one of these...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

I want to try my hand at one of these...

Give it a go - for a first build, I'd start with something with a closed turret and vinyl (flexible) tracks, 'cause making tracks can be a pain.

• Thanks 1