Bladeslap. Adventures in Chinookery

Hello you lot. Just a quick update today. 

First job was to make a shelf in the rather empty space where the heater is, and then create some kind of comms kit to sit on it.

I used some old kit parts and decals for the comms kit.

IMG_20190901_112634

Which meant that everything I had on the list for the interior was done...

IMG_20190901_114604

And I could put the roof on...

IMG_20190901_120100

Happy days!

In secret, I've added the glazing to the outer halves, filled holes that need filling, drilled holes that need drilling and painted sections of the inner surface that might be visible later.

Hopefully another update soon!

• Like 5

Oh! What's happened here?

IMG_20190902_195539

Finally something that's starting to look like a Chinook!

After lots of trial fitting, I glued the right side on first. It wasn't a great fit along the top, so doing it and letting it cure allowed me to tape it in place in a way that I couldn't have done, if I'd done both sides together. 

Left it taped up for 24 hours and then tonight fitted the left side. So far the joins are reasonable. Doesn't look like too much correction is necessary, although I haven't fitted the underside yet so there's still time for heartache.

I was worried when i've read other people's experience of Italeri kits, but so far it fits in the places that matter.

Laters gators

• Like 2

On 9/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, chrislowe said:

it fits in the places that matter.

Does it 'eck!

On 9/2/2019 at 9:47 PM, perdu said:

I have 'em crossed for you Chris

Even your crossed digits couldn't save me from the inevitable, Bill. I can't upload pictures to Flikr at the moment, but believe me the gaps between the sides and the underside are large enough to fall through, and the engine nacelles, don't even really belong, let alone fit in.

I spoke too soon and the Italeri was ready to prove me wrong.

While I gather myself for dealing with the gaps, I'm cutting away all the bits and bobs that my RAF subject doesn't need, or that Eduard says I need to remove. 

My favourite bit so far is the 4 lumps toward the rear of the left hand side. The instructions say they should be removed, but not only do 3 of em intersect with panel lines that need scribing, when you remove the lumps, there's a hole straight through to the other side!

Surprise!

One false move could bring disaster....

Edited by chrislowe

Tube glue, tube glue and Berna(?) clamps

And tube glue

My Matchbox Wokka now has zero underside detail but will be getting reinstated detail soon(ish) for exactly the same reason as yours

I may use this very useful underside view of yours to make the now missing detail for mine

Remember  Berna clamps

And thick tube glue

If you use enough you'll put enough fileable material to avoid excess fillering

I feel your pain

And the humour

😠

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On to the pe for the engine cowls. Having been told by both Andy and Bill that these should be recessed, I set about it with the micro chisel. It was alarmingly easy to remove plastic, and I used the moulded grilles for positioning, which, now I look at reference photos might've been a mistake. 

IMG_20190905_212739

Balanced in place

IMG_20190905_224303

Glued

IMG_20190905_212838

And then these two on the underside

IMG_20190905_224247

I was worried that if I hacked the hole through it'd just look like an empty cowling behind the grille, so I cut enough away to recess the pe, and then painted a black background. Not sure how it'll look, so we'll see.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, perdu said:

Looks good with them on it, racing ahead again now Chris

Thanks Bill. I started playing about with this because the instructions were a little confusing

IMG_20190912_214403

Basically cut everything original away, throw most of our away and then stick it back together. 

This engine cowl was finished until I saw the picture and realised that it needs more work.

IMG_20190912_214335

And then the glass went on

IMG_20190912_214312

I left the nose off, for later thinking that if I have to fill some gaps at the front of the floor, I might be able to use that hole to paint any filler that's visible on the inside.

And then... Well as the Irish would say, I lost the run of m'self. 

I got excited because with a bit of trimming and a lot of test fitting and even more sanding, I could get the floor to fit (ish) and not only fit, but all the panel lines line up...

IMG_20190912_214252

You can see there's still a big 'ole at the front that needs filling but this is so much better than it threatened to be, the first time I offered it up.

You can also see that I made the ramp and remembered to put it in the right place. So what's wrong, you might wonder? What disaster did I stumble into in my giddy rush?

IMG_20190912_215758

I forgot it wasn't painted!

The only thing that might save my bacon is that most of it is covered by a sheet of PE, so I can paint that and keep everything crossed in the hope it's a good fit.

• Sad 1

Well, as much as the underside looked like a good fit, with my basic skills it's taken me what feels like a life-time of sanding, filling and sanding again to get something close to tidy.

IMG_20190920_172757

IMG_20190920_173017

IMG_20190920_172909

When is painted I'll probably wish I'd spent more time on it, but I'm tired of it now so I'm going to tidy up the join around the canopy and then start sticking on all the bits and bobs. 

To that end, I've added the electrical and hydraulic connectors for the winch. They look better irl than in the pictures where they all look a bit squiffy.

IMG_20190915_222828

Thanks for coming along. Hopefully the pace will pick up a little, now.

• Like 3

So, having decided that I'm not doing anything more on the underside or the canopy, I'm fitting the pe mesh to the other engine nacelle. I'm somewhat better now with the micro chisel so this is a better job than the first one.

Top...

IMG_20190922_113512

Lower

IMG_20190922_171147

More later.

• Like 2

The third  and final piece of PE.

IMG_20190924_110702

The poor fit that I mentioned in a previous post was mostly due to excess plastic on the underside. Once I'd removed it all, the fit was not as bad as I feared.

IMG_20190924_115126

It still needs some tidying up, but we now have engines!

IMG_20190924_115223

• Like 3

Quick update. This is definitely more fun than sanding and filling the underside!

Still slow progress though

IMG_20190925_223007

Especially when I think of all the other bits that need to go on, and for the most part should probably be flush. 

Trudginly,

• Like 1

A bit more progress.

I was concerned about my ability to make this PE look convincing. So far, I'm surprised that they seem to be square and well spaced, hopefully they'll still look ok when there's paint.

IMG_20190927_224022

The next bit I was worried about was the PE grille forward of the port door. I realised that my hydraulic point weren't right either, so they were chiseled off and replaced.

IMG_20190928_151720

To finish the morning, I started on some of the other gubbins down that port side.

IMG_20190928_154152

Resin gubbins are from the cmk set.

Precious gubbinses

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 1

The starboard side has these 'sockets' for the antennas. 

IMG_20190929_095432

Every version in the box has something that goes along here. The Japanese version uses every one of them. For the British and US versions some have to be removed as mentioned occasionally in the instructions...

IMG_20190929_095531

What the instructions don't mention though is that they're both the wrong shape and in the wrong place for the UK version.

Here's the UK antenna on the sprue (at the top)

IMG_20190929_095611

You can see that the spacing isn't anything like the regular spaces of the sockets, and even if it was, the square outline of the sockets is the wrong shape.

The upshot of all that is that my next job is removing every single one of the sockets, and of course each one of them is on a panel line. 

New no.11 blade at the ready!

Edited by chrislowe

Aren't the ones on the kit the original mast and wire antenna fit?

The 7 Sqn bird I am making has posts for two rows of them, not just the single row the kit gives us

I think the post bases should be round not square but I cannot check it out because I'm away from my PC

To return to your problem I would suggest whipping all of them off  

😦

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, perdu said:

whipping all of them off  

😦

Well, I'm not great at scribing panel lines, but this model is giving me plenty of chance to practice. 

IMG_20191002_210222

I need to spray a coat of primer to check that it's all ok, but it's better than it was...

I have a question for the BM collective... 

In this picture from the walk around section, you can clearly see a 'ole in the side of the pylon (?), under the rotor head

chin%2006.JPG

It looks like there's a number of fixings around the hole, but I can't see if it's mesh, or just an opening. Does anyone know? Unsurprisingly the Italeri version shows nothing of the sort.

Now I look at that picture it's also very clear that the front of the concave curve around the top of the pylon blends in as it curves around to the front. Unlike this one where it continues across the front to the other side. Looks like more filler in my future...

IMG_20191002_212426

The more I look at it, the further away from a Chinook it looks...