Bladeslap. Adventures in Chinookery

Part of the reason I bought and built the Lynx (RFI coming soon, honest) was to get my head in to the right space for building helicopters and hopefully do a better job of the Chinook as a result. 

I have the Italeri HC.2 / CH-47F kit which is a bit of a weird thing even before the get go, because (if I understand it)  the HC.2 was the UK version of the D. Except for the Netherlands D, they had the analogue cockpit instruments. The CH-47F in contrast was the basis for the HC mk 6, which had the glass cockpit.

I guess you could build either ( but not both!) from this kit, although it only comes with decals for the analogue cockpit so...

Anyway

The plan is to build ZA-712 ER of 7 squadron during its green HC2 phase. It features in the superb model alliance decals as an HC1 in 1991 / op Granby, but I want to make an HC-2 and I don't think I could pull off the black "scribbling" over desert pink camouflage. So I'm going to model the same aircraft, but from a later date when it was painted green, which means that I'll be using a combination of kit and Model Alliance decals. The reason I picked this aircraft is because 7 squadron is part of JSFAW which supports the UK special forces, meaning that I can include the beautiful miniguns that I bought from Live Resin. 

So, onwards. 

Cockpit first. The rear wall of the cockpit needs some detail removing and slightly bulking out the area where the PE goes as it doesn't quite look big enough. You can see it here.

IMG_20190525_171955

I added some PE to the cabin bulkhead, but I've read / seen that mostly the LHS is covered by soundproofing and often the RHS is too. I've ordered some clay "stuff" to make the sound proofing. In some of the pictures I saw the heater is partially exposed on the right, so I might go for something like that. 

2019-05-29_10-24-19

More PE. It looks quite smart before it's painted black

IMG_20190526_111112

However, after painting it loses some of the detail. I tried to help by picking some of it out in a semi-gloss...

2019-05-29_10-33-21

Also, being all black makes it double-hard to photograph. Apparently.

The PE instrument panel came out ok though

2019-05-29_10-36-20

Lastly it was on to the cargo floor which I did with the usual 2 shades of grey and a dirt wash. 

2019-05-29_10-37-17

I'm hoping the wash will settle down a bit when I give it a coat of clear matt because I think I went a little bit over the top.

Anyway, that's everything for now.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 6

A bit of progress this weekend. The instructions for the pe require that the sides are cut from the overhead panel before being attached to the replacement. Not a great pic but you can see them here ready for painting.

IMG_20190531_212710

So then, on to the seats. I have seen some cockpit pictures that look like there's a sheepskin on top of the seat base, so I cut a couple of pieces of microfiber 

IMG_20190531_210659

I painted the seats matt black and the frames s-g black, again to help some of the details stand out in what has to be the most Goth cockpit I've ever modelled.

IMG_20190602_140144

IMG_20190602_140354

Attached the overhead panel and the rest of the pe to the bulkhead.

IMG_20190602_140000

And then it all came together

IMG_20190602_162155

So with the cockpit done is on to the seats in the cargo area.

IMG_20190603_112101

This is just balanced in place to see how it looks. I need to do some corrections and decide what I'm doing for the seatbelts. No PE options here, so either I'm going to go with the moulded plastic, or I'm going to make them out of fabric. 

Thanks for looking

Chris

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

It's been a while but I finally have a moment to write an update. 

I tried to make some sound proofing out of a light air drying clay. As far as I remember from someone else's thread, the short corridor between the cargo area and the cockpit is usually covered with the stuff so...

IMG_20190607_135358

And also the avionics / electronics on the shelves are often converted.

IMG_20190607_155034

One of my reference photos shows the cover over the heater only half attached with a bit of sag and a couple of straps.

Not entirely happy with the LHS so that was summarily ripped off. I decided to show the shelves exposed, but the panels just to the right covered

IMG_20190614_215158

happier with that.

IMG_20190615_195019

So that was fitted

IMG_20190615_195304

Next job was the sides of the cargo area.

Italeri have done a half decent job of the sound proofing, it's contoured and kind of irregular, but I didn't think it was quite there in terms of the billowy appearance, so I decided to see if I could give it a hand with some light / dark shading. Easier and quicker than replacing it all with the light clay, but would it be as good? I think this pic shows best what I was going for:

IMG_20190614_215018

I think, when viewed through the open cargo door, it'll be close enough, especially as most of it is hidden behind the seats.

Ah. The seats. At this point I want sure how to move forward so I lost myself in seats for a while...

IMG_20190707_220532

After a while I realised that I needed to focus on the side again so I did my best to pick out the details that are moulded in and add something here and there.

IMG_20190707_220627

I'm still learning how to do this kinda thing

IMG_20190707_220653

So that's it.

I balanced some of the seats in place

IMG_20190707_220809

If you're interested, this is the reference pic I've been using for the cargo area. It's not mine. I'll remove it, if it's a problem.

za705-odiham-26th-november-2010-no-1_edi

Chris

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 6

Chris - great start; I particularly love that sagging soundproofing - I’m not a Chinook man, but a lot of service helos end up sagging like that inside [Comes to us all eventually, I guess!], so why should the Chinook be any different?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To my mind, not as its much of a mind but it's mine, the interior looks bang on

That interior shot

Im having that for mine too

Doesn't seem very different to the US Army CH-47 I flew in back in 77, the kind of things that tie you to a particular type huh?

Enjoying your model, thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking good so far, liking the home made sound proofing and the floor weathering looks about right.

Been asked by a former Chinook techie to build one for him (and a Tornado F3!), so following with interest your build and the updates you're doing

• Thanks 1

Just when I thought I might have done a passable job, I find this pic... In our own walk around section 😱

ArmyShow2011071.jpg

So much more to be added. For starters, the thing that I suspect is a fire extinguisher just to the left of the ramp hydraulics. Can anyone confirm that's what it is? 

Also, while I'm asking questions, the undercarriage seems to be painted a similar colour to the fuselage? Or grey? But definitely not the off white of the RAF's fixed wings.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 1

Quick update for you lovely lot.

As and when life allows I've been adding my version of some of the cables visible in that picture from the walk-around.

IMG_20190715_221833

I'll tidy the ends up when the roof is added, so I've left them long enough to do something with them later.

The view up the length of the cargo area as you'll see it when it's closed up...

IMG_20190715_222027

Seats just balanced in place for now as I have some pe to go in along the side still. I think I'm happy enough with this side of the tail end so I'm going to move to the front where I need an arm on which to mount a minigun. 

Exciting times ahead!

Back soon

• Like 5

Lucky you, you got seats

And they make it look awfully good

I am using your views of the model innards to modify the innards on my Matchbox one, getting really useful and useable info from this

Nice one Chris

By the way I will be copying your minigun arm too, I've a pair of miniguns from Italeri's MH47 to play with  ;)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Lucky you, you got seats

Luxury.  We used to dream o’ livin’ in t’ corridor...

[Apologies to any passing non-Python fans, who are now entirely baffled]

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Oh WE had to live in a 'ole in t'road...

No really missis, we really shouldn't ought to

😇

'ole in t'road?

We were evicted from our 'ole in t'road, we had to go live in a lake.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Luxury.  We used to dream o’ livin’ in t’ corridor...

[Apologies to any passing non-Python fans, who are now entirely baffled]

Passing?

Passsinnng?

I hope so

What the heck would justify anyone who isn't a fan hanging around a helicopter thread based on TWO, count 'em fans on the roof?

And what kind of lunatic is not a Python-arist?

😨

• Haha 2

So I promised an attempt at the minigun mount...

The 1:48 live resin minigun is a thing of beauty, detailed and delicate, but it's made for the uh-60 so it comes with a door mount for that, as you can see in their picture...

phoca_thumb_l_LRE48001-instr.jpg

The arm sticks right out and the gun mounts directly above it.

In contrast, the arm in the Chinook is mounted across the doorway, attached at both ends, and features a gun mount that is extended so that the pivot is outside the aircraft.

You can see that here in a picture that live resin have as reference for the 1:35 Chinook mount that they make...

phoca_thumb_l_6384178805_51c3f72db3_o.jp

As you can see, there are actually 2 uh-60 arms supplied with each minigun...

IMG_20190717_215416

So, by using one of them whole and chopping the other for parts, is it possible to make one Chinook style arm and mounting point?

First step was to cut the mount out, rotate it 90 degrees and fix it to the piece that's staying whole. Shape it with a curve, and a taper on the underside to get this...

IMG_20190717_222052

And the underside

IMG_20190717_222245

Photos aren't great, but hopefully you get the idea.

This piece was then extended with the shorter end that I'd cut off, and to the longer end, I added some plasticard drilled a hole and used a bit of wire to create the thicker end with the hinge from the pic.

IMG_20190717_225226

You can't see the wire, poking very slightly out of the top and bottom of the hinge, but it is there.

The next thing I need to do is shape and trim the ends to make them look like they're attached to hard points. 

A few things to mention about live resin. Firstly, their site is a great source of reference photos. Secondly their resin is the softest most delicate resin I've come across. It's fantastic to work with and terrifying at the same time.

• Like 1

Well, wouldn't you know it, when I needed a left-hand one, what I made was a right-hand one. Ho hum. Time to make another. 

This time I didn't stop at the arm, but went on to include the fixings. One end, the end that attaches near the bulkhead seems to have a bolt that is mostly covered by a curved cover. 

At the other end, the arm gets thicker and attaches to a bracket that sticks out of the wall.

IMG_20190719_234050

IMG_20190720_125903

IMG_20190719_234040

The plan is to fix it something like this

IMG_20190719_233954

A cost of primer reveals some tidying up to do

IMG_20190720_125849

I have to go out and do something useful. Hopefully later I'll get a coat of paint on it.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 2

Looks rather tasty, I don't suppose, just whilst practising you made a couple in 72th scale

Just for practice...

That you are about to throw away...

Maybe

Mind you I may be having second thoughts about the miniguns, have you seen the dross Italeri put in their MH47s to pop into the windows

And I can find no-one making decent ones, nor the M60s for the ramp in 72th scale

Oh well I'm off to make some more soundproofer for mine

And feeling very happy to have seen you making real progress, the gun mounts are splendid

• Thanks 1

Bit of a late session last night, but I made a little progress. The arm is painted and fixed in place

IMG_20190720_210611

So next came the placards which was a mixture of pe and kit decals, and then finally the seats.

IMG_20190721_001036

I remember something in @simmerit's build about the seat hangers being disconnected in front of the windows, so I've cut them away from the affected seats, leaving just the far left and right ones in place. Unfortunately with the seats in place, you can't see the shading that I hoped would make the soundproofing look saggy.

I've seen pictures of the minigun, where it's been swung back in the aircraft, and in that case there are no seats visible. I assume that when the guns are fitted, the first group of 3 seats is removed?

Anyway, next is the magazine, the power supply and some other bits and bobs.

Thanks for coming along

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok. Who's ready for a bumper update? I certainty am. First step was to put in the ammo case and belt for the minigun.

IMG_20190726_191243

Followed by what I think is a power supply and the window, which has to go somewhere so is stowed against the wall.

IMG_20190726_191759

And knowing how high everyone's standards are around these ere parts, I thought I'd better have a crack at the ladder. 

IMG_20190805_100153

So here it is, strapped in place.

IMG_20190808_215406

I made a little water can too. Tried to add some shading to the lower half as if it's not completely empty. Ironically I couldn't make it look as plastic as I wanted it to.

Some reference pictures show an extinguisher stowed high on that bulkhead. Maybe that's what the ladder was for?

IMG_20190810_150931

As before the body of the extinguisher was donated by a scrap sidewinder and the lever on top made from spare PE.

On to the other side... If already painted it and used the same technique to try to emphasise the billowing sound proofing,. So it was on to the uncovered rear section with its grubby exposed pipework and a control panel that I added.

IMG_20190731_224030

Added some more of the visible plumbing. Reference pictures for this came from outer own excellent walk around section.

IMG_20190802_221949

And then got totally side tracked with the pe on the internal roof

IMG_20190730_135448

Some panel line wash and a bit of zink oxide later...

IMG_20190730_212832

There was nothing really stopping me from gluing the RHS on, so I did that and left it taped up to set firm while I went out of the country for work.

A week later...

IMG_20190818_214246

I'll be happy never to paint any more of those seats.

IMG_20190818_214329

Inevitably I wasted time putting the roof on to see how dark it's gonna be

IMG_20190818_214440

I mean, there's details in there that will probably never be noticed, but the important thing is that we know they're there. Right? RIGHT?

Now we've got that straight,, we can move on to the minigun arm, the ammo and power supply. The arm was made at the same time as the one for the LHS, so they're as identical as I can make them

IMG_20190823_222443

So I'm getting closer to closing it up, but before I do that, the moulded lights in the roof are replaced with 2mm foil backed lights. Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

2019-08-24_10-08-45

So that's us, all caught up. Next job is the top half of the door, in its open position on the roof, some rails for it and before I close up, I need to do something about the right hand side where the heater is. It needs to look busier.

Hope you like it.

Edited by chrislowe
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, perdu said:

Looking pretty damned marvellous, a fabulous interior

Thanks. I'm looking forward to closing it up and getting on with the outside. Still loads to do. At this rate, I'll be lucky if it's finished by Christmas 🎅