Josef Priller's Focke Wulf FW190A-8 (Dragon 1:48)

Awesome!  I have the Accurate Miniatures boxing of Priller's FW...but sadly no decals.  I'll be watching this one with interest.  :popcorn:

• Like 1

Glad to see Priller's famous FW-190 being built, couldn't really have a D-Day GB without it.

I know the kit has a few fit issues (nothing like a Revell Tornado though!) but I have no doubt you will do a cracking job on it Nigel so I'm definitely along for the ride.

• Like 2

On 29/05/2019 at 22:46, helios16v said:

Awesome!  I have the Accurate Miniatures boxing of Priller's FW...but sadly no decals.  I'll be watching this one with interest.  :popcorn:

Great choice nigel, and a nice kit to boot, Chris you may get some replacement priller decals from peddinghause decals, the site takes some searching but I'm sure I saw some a while back, they print to sell so if I'm right, and they're on the Web site they'll reel a set off

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Hewy said:

Great choice nigel, and a nice kit to boot, Chris you may get some replacement priller decals from peddinghause decals, the site takes some searching but I'm sure I saw some a while back, they print to sell so if I'm right, and they're on the Web site they'll reel a set off

Thanks Hewy, bookmarking the site now.  Cheers.  :cheers:

• Like 2

Think i will move the conversation to your build thread. Not the best but photo is dated 05/44. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-JG26-(B13-+-)-Josef-Priller-Rambuillet-France-1944-05.html

Perfect shot of Priller in June ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-JG26-(B13-+-)-Josef-Priller-Rambuillet-France-1944-06.html

All the info from here ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab.html

I will keep looking for more info, let ne know what else i can help you look for ? 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Nigel. Looking forward to seeing this one in progres. I have made only one 1/48 Fw190 kit before - an A3 - but it was the Tamiya kit. Great looking aircraft!

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:21 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Think i will move the conversation to your build thread. Not the best but photo is dated 05/44. 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-JG26-(B13-+-)-Josef-Priller-Rambuillet-France-1944-05.html

Perfect shot of Priller in June ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8-JG26-(B13-+-)-Josef-Priller-Rambuillet-France-1944-06.html

All the info from here ? 

https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG26-Stab.html

I will keep looking for more info, let ne know what else i can help you look for ? 

Dennis

Thank you for the links, Dennis. I'll have a read through when I have some quiet time. Much appreciated! :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Looking forward to seeing this one in progres. I have made only one 1/48 Fw190 kit before - an A3 - but it was the Tamiya kit. Great looking aircraft!

Kind regards,

Stix

Hi Stix, Hope you're well? Good to have you along for the build!! :happy:

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 12:50 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Big fan of "Pips" Priller so i will be following. 

Hi Dennis, Nice to have you along :happy:

On 5/30/2019 at 1:11 PM, Brad said:

The engine cowlings are tricky so take your time there. Also, the kits under carriage make the aircraft tip toed. You can fix the problem by lengthening the strut like in this article.

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/fw190landinggear_2.htm

Hi Brad, Thanks for the tips and link. Much appreciated :smile:

On 5/30/2019 at 3:59 PM, modelling minion said:

Glad to see Priller's famous FW-190 being built, couldn't really have a D-Day GB without it.

I know the kit has a few fit issues (nothing like a Revell Tornado though!) but I have no doubt you will do a cracking job on it Nigel so I'm definitely along for the ride.

Hi Craig, Looking at the kit, I don't believe it's as good as Dragon 'armour' but I'll have a good bash!! :unsure:

On 6/2/2019 at 8:36 PM, Hewy said:

Hi Glynn, I chose it as I needed an excuse to build my first German aircraft. Fingers crossed it turns out a good choice 🤞

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, wimbledon99 said:

Looking at the kit, I don't believe it's as good as Dragon 'armour' but I'll have a good bash!!

I think they're based on the old Tri-Master molds. Which in the late 80's were the top of bunch. They should still be decent but not as easy as say Eduard or Tamiya ? 

• Like 1

nice to see this model being built. The last Fw-190A model I built was a really early Fujimi model. 

This one is based on an older model but at the time was one of the best around...still would count as a very good model, maybe not quite so easy to build. But hey, where's the fun in building an easy model!

Again it's nice to see another Axis aircraft in the build.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

nice to see this model being built. The last Fw-190A model I built was a really early Fujimi model. 

This one is based on an older model but at the time was one of the best around...still would count as a very good model, maybe not quite so easy to build. But hey, where's the fun in building an easy model!

Again it's nice to see another Axis aircraft in the build.

Hi Rich, Thanks for the info. Personally:

• Easy = :headphones:

• Not so = :headbang:

I like the head-phones version so am hoping for no head-banging :laugh:

• Haha 1

OK - So thought it would be good to start on day 1 of the build. Brad's warning re. the cowling was spot on. The fit is very poor with large gaps but some filler will sort that :wink:

48014830721_227c807021_k.jpg

• Like 3

Magnificent start, that instrument panel looks fab. I’m doing the sister ac of Prillers so be good to see your Sword beach famous one 

Id like to see how this one comes together 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 8:22 PM, Valkyrie said:

Magnificent start, that instrument panel looks fab. I’m doing the sister ac of Prillers so be good to see your Sword beach famous one 

Id like to see how this one comes together 

Thanks Valkyrie. The etch provided with the kit is certainly a nice touch. Glad to have you along :happy:

On 6/6/2019 at 8:29 PM, mick said:

good start

Thanks Mick. Here's a little more progress.

The instructions aren't very clear and after a dry fit, I realised I had to remove a section of the lower wing part. What I did like was the option to drill the holes required for the different build version.

48051200827_a6ea217d50_k.jpg

48051118021_d35ee0b31a_k.jpg

48051117931_c7ebde2ec0_k.jpg

• Like 5

14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Coming along nicely Nigel.

You certainly have a lot of holes to choose from, I hope the instructions are clear about which ones to open up.

There certainly are Craig but the instructions are good in this respect :smile:

14 hours ago, Valkyrie said:

Looks like a good 190 shape, pity about the instructions, nothing worse!! 

Hi Valkyrie, The shape it what's bothering be at the moment. The cowling / fus / wing joint is proving rather challenging during the the dry fit stage but I'm hoping once liquid is applied, things look better. I can see some filling and sanding in the pipeline!!

Anyhow, here's the cockpit with a little colour. It's ready to be installed so the next images will hopefully look more like an aircraft 🤞Just for info, the chest straps will have to go in later as they attach to a plate which can't be fitted until the fus is joined!

No more updates for a few days as I'm taking a trip to Rome with the Mrs. Have also decided to take the train to Anzio on Sunday for some lunch by the sea and soak up a bit of WW2 history with the sun  :nerdy:

48054764152_612c98860e_k.jpg

• Like 6