Early WW II RAF vehicle colours

stever219

CcThis subject has probably been done to death several times, so I’ll apologise now for giving it the Lazarus treatment.  I want to model a typical early-war bomb train using the David Brown tractor and early type bomb trolleys from the Airfix Bomber Command Support Set, but I’m uncertain when the RAF changed from pre-war dark blue grey to the early wartime camouflage and which colour(s) were used for that camouflage.  If anyone could give me some clues and/or pointers I’d be very grateful.

Edited by stever219
*&£#@% auto-incorrect!
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The answer to your colour question depends on how early you wish to be.  From 1940 the basic colour became Khaki Green 3.  There would be no need for any disruptive colour over that but would be on refuellers.  From mid 1941 SCC.2 (brown) replaced the KG3 shade but only on new and repainted equipments.  Thus the older colours prevailed for long periods since wastage was not heavy.  I have 1943 coloured images of a Seafire with the tractor still RAF Blue-grey.  Might I suggest a Blue-Grey tractor with KG3 trollies and Light Buff bombs

A couple of possible niggles.

You'd still have to find early war bombs - are you sure that the kit contains early bomb trolleys?  (Do I hear someone mumbling about Airfix Stirlings?)

If that's a Seafire, then the tractor may well not be in any RAF colour at all but some Navy dark blue - as seen on other Navy vehicles such as a Matador (of unknown to me date!)