Hawker Hunter intake colours

Timmas

Hi all

Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I'm currently building the Revell 1/72 Hunter FGA.9 (it's going together beautifully and I'm delighted with it so far) and want to know what colour(s) to paint the air intakes? There's nothing indicated on the instructions and I've looked at dozens of images online but can't see anything conclusive.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

Tim

I'm making a 1/48 FGA9 and used these for references, if they're any help?

Others may have a more accurate answer but I believe the camo colour extends part way in, then the interiors of the intakes are white. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

I have seen two different finishes on Hunter intakes, an offish satin white and natural metal finish.  I think the white finish was used on later Hunters, but I've never been intimate with an FGA.9.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Riot said:

I'm making a 1/48 FGA9 and used these for references, if they're any help?

Others may have a more accurate answer but I believe the camo colour extends part way in, then the interiors of the intakes are white. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Many thanks. They do help. I've seen some similar images, others with (what looks like) black insides and others in aluminium but it's looking like white is the way to go. While on the subject, I see the leading edges of the intakes on the lower pic are white too...I'll have to check that out. Cheers 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I have seen two different finishes on Hunter intakes, an offish satin white and natural metal finish.  I think the white finish was used on later Hunters, but I've never been intimate with an FGA.9.

Thanks James. I'll be doing a UK scheme from the late 60s and I think from what David says below, and from what else I've gleaned from the web since, white will probably be the way to go. 😉

I checked the Hunter F.6A at Duxford today and got close in to the intake. Having checked the phone pictures I took I would say the nearest match is a matt version of Humbrol 41 - gloss ivory. The fence just inside the intake is silver.

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2019 at 17:53, Timmas said:

Thanks James. I'll be doing a UK scheme from the late 60s and I think from what David says below, and from what else I've gleaned from the web since, white will probably be the way to go. 😉

Sorry to spoil your day @Timmas but white intakes for a late 60's aircraft will not be the way to go.  The white intakes and leading edges did not come in until the very late 70's/early eighties and then was very slow to appear due to the amount of work involved.  

Late sixties aircraft had the upper surface camo scheme curve around and in to the intake by about 3 to four inches.  On the intake wall, the fuselage colour extended back into the intake up to the boundary layer spill intake approx eighteen inches inside the intake, it exhausted above and below the intake..  From those positions aft, the intake was dull natural metal up to the engine face.

HTH

Dennis

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

Sorry to spoil your day @Timmas but white intakes for a late 60's aircraft will not be the way to go.  The white intakes and leading edges did not come in until the very late 70's/early eighties and then was very slow to appear due to the amount of work involved.  

Late sixties aircraft had the upper surface camo scheme curve around and in to the intake by about 3 to four inches.  On the intake wall, the fuselage colour extended back into the intake up to the boundary layer spill intake approx eighteen inches inside the intake, it exhausted above and below the intake..  From those positions aft, the intake was dull natural metal up to the engine face.

HTH

Dennis

Oh. Thanks for that (I think) 🤔 I haven't put any paint on yet as it's on order so I'll re-assess the situation when it arrives.