Steve's third -F100 Sabre.****Finished*******

stevej60

Hi folk's for number three I went looking for something not yet entered,I feel a bit of a cheat as I know this is Hasegawa's kit as opposed to a true Frog original

but I think it's important as an early example of co-operation between what really were rival companies.If the decal's are duff I have a nice shark mouth scheme

which will please a certain Zimbabwe based fellow member!

SABRE

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 9

When I was a kid I was inspired by that artwork.  I think I bought this kit from a shop in Lowestoft in 1972-3 (would that be Hannants?) I Ialways considered the "Hun" to be one of the best looking jets around.

I now have several if the original ESCI kits in the stash awaiting the nerve to tackle a nmf. Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out at the hands of a more capable modeller than I'll ever be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dad's lad said:

I now have several if the original ESCI kits in the stash awaiting the nerve to tackle a nmf.

The Esci kit still build's well,like you I am not a lover of doing NM finishes but you can hide a multitude of sin;s with the sabre as they can get

very grubby here's Esci's kit as a Danish machine.

DSC01127

• Like 8

Great choice Steve

I had forgotten all about this one !

This GB is certainly bringing out a superb variety of kits.

So nice to see everyone helping to keep @Rabbit Leader busy with his build list !

Good luck will all your builds.

cheers Pat

• Like 2

Three, Steve... this seems to be the new standard for GB builds here, @PeterB aside of course! 

Have always loved the Hun and also have an Esci and Itateri kit still waiting in the long build queue. 

The box art and decal choices are quite apt for the European market, I'm sure this was a popular kit in its heyday. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Three, Steve... this seems to be the new standard for GB builds here, @PeterB aside of course! 

Have always loved the Hun and also have an Esci and Itateri kit still waiting in the long build queue. 

The box art and decal choices are quite apt for the European market, I'm sure this was a popular kit in its heyday. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave. 

Steve,

Nice kit. Built 2 of these, first in Vietnam and 2nd NMF, which I too am not a great fan of - just a quick squirt of silver car paint from a rattle can and a bit of contrasting shades from tins does me. Mind I do envy the people with the patience to do umpteen shades , but when I did my B58 in about 5 shades I thought that was looking a bit fussy - probably my painting! If I was to do the Hun again I would probably do something about the underwing pylon for the Sidewinders as it is a bit crude.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, PeterB said:

Nice kit. Built 2 of these, first in Vietnam and 2nd NMF, which I too am not a great fan of - just a quick squirt of silver car paint from a rattle can and a bit of contrasting shades from tins does me. Mind I do envy the people with the patience to do umpteen shades , but when I did my B58 in about 5 shades I thought that was looking a bit fussy - probably my painting! If I was to do the Hun again I would probably do something about the underwing pylon for the Sidewinders as it is a bit crude.

Pete

Edited 9 hours ago by PeterB

Hi Peter I use rattle can silver on my rare foray's into silver finishes  too,all that masking different shade's is beyond my patience!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

Hi Peter I use rattle can silver on my rare foray's into silver finishes  too,all that masking different shade's is beyond my patience!

Would be interested to know which ones. I used Halford's Nissan Silver on a P-51 that I built and that didn't look too bad.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dad's lad said:

Would be interested to know which ones. I used Halford's Nissan Silver on a P-51 that I built and that didn't look too bad.

Hi DL,Humbrol silver on the Sabre and recent C-47.

20190504_112014

9 hours ago, spaddad said:

Hi Steve, what patience is that?

Haven't you met the Missus Dave?

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 1:55 PM, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's for number three I went looking for something not yet entered,I feel a bit of a cheat as I know this is Hasegawa's kit as opposed to a true Frog original

but I think it's important as an early example of co-operation between what really were rival companies.If the decal's are duff I have a nice shark mouth scheme

which will please a certain Zimbabwe based fellow member!

SABRE

Hi Steve,

I am pleased, very pleased!

You won't regret it. What a look your F-100  will have.

The great thing is that a brand new shark mouth was painted on airframes that were not only near the end of their potential, but that were roasting under the Djibouti sun... The contrast is quite striking. Of course you can ignore the faded look on the plane. Nobody will mind and it will still look glorious!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jean said:

The great thing is that a brand new shark mouth was painted on airframes that were not only near the end of their potential, but that were roasting under the Djibouti sun... The contrast is quite striking. Of course you can ignore the faded look on the plane. Nobody will mind and it will still look glorious!

Probably have a go at the faded worn look anyway Jean,my local air museum has an ex French F-100 in the same scheme I had a sit in the cockpit a few year's ago.

Years ago there was a sort of "museum" in a field outside Cardiff Airport here in Wales. Long gone but the above reminded me of the very faded green F100 they had - must see if I can find the pics but I suspect a Scandinavian user ( Denmark or Norway) - does that make sense?

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Years ago there was a sort of "museum" in a field outside Cardiff Airport here in Wales. Long gone but the above reminded me of the very faded green F100 they had - must see if I can find the pics but I suspect a Scandinavian user ( Denmark or Norway) - does that make sense?

Pete

Yes Pete,Danish I would guess,they went all green in their latter year's which faded badly while still in service.

Often wondered what happened to the planes at Rhoose after BA expanded their maintenance depot and they were moved off site. There was a Vulcan, a Hastings, a couple of Gannets, the Danish Hun and several more, all badly faded and in some cases in pretty poor condition. Anybody know where they went if not for scrap? Must dig out my photos.

Incidentally I seem to recall a Vulcan at Blackpool when I went up for the lights years ago but that seems to have gone too.

Pete

Edited by PeterB

Oooooo a Hun . It's a very sleek looking machine. I didn't realize it was a collaborative effort between Frog and Hasegawa. I had the colourful Hasegawa boxing as a youngster. Probably made a mess of it with Humbrol silver as I am not great with NMF myself.

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo a Hun . It's a very sleek looking machine. I didn't realize it was a collaborative effort between Frog and Hasegawa. I had the colourful Hasegawa boxing as a youngster. Probably made a mess of it with Humbrol silver as I am not great with NMF myself.

Good luck with your build.

All the best

Chris

Thank's Chris,as far as can tell Frog imported the bagged Hasegawa kit's and re-boxed them much the same as Tamiya do with Italeri mold's today,pity Frog

didn't continue trading it would have been interesting to see if Hasegawa's detailing would have influenced them.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Probably have a go at the faded worn look anyway Jean,my local air museum has an ex French F-100 in the same scheme I had a sit in the cockpit a few year's ago.

Lucky you!!!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folk's,back at the bench after a week away and rather than pick up the Maryland which is well underway I thought I'd make a start on the Sabre.Cockpit painted

tape belt's added and fuselage joined.I Don't see any real issue's going forward dry fit is good,cockpit glazing seem's fine and the chosen scheme should cover the

raised detail with ease.

20190614_193535

• Like 8

Afternoon folk's.couple of hours throughout the day spent on this one and good progress again,thought I'd give her a coat of primer and see what's to fill.

Got to say for it's age fit has been great just a little clean up of edges here and there.

20190615_163035

20190615_163835

• Like 7

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm keen to see how you go with this Steve, I'm toying with doing the same scheme in the Sharkmouth GB but with a Tamiya reboxed Italeri kit.

Steve.

These aircraft were well worn looking at the few photos out there Steve,I'm pondering how to go about the weathering  but as Jean pointed out to me the sharkmouth

was freshly painted so need to be left as is.

• Like 1