1/48 - Lockheed (C)F-104C/G/J/S-ASA/M & TF-104G/DJ Starfighter by Kinetic - released - new Hypersonic Models F-104B/D conv. set - new CF-104D boxing in 2024

Homebee

Won´t be too long before we have the plastic in our hands, so speculation about the new kit doesn´t make too much sense.

The Hasegawa was  - and is still -  is a good kit. Some issues were addressed with Danny´s correction kit. From my view the main issue is the fuselage cross section in the mid wing area and aft. Wondering how kinetic translated it.

8 hours ago, ABeck said:

Only hope that Pucara is still on the list

Raymond said that the Pucará project was temporarily pushed back but not forgotten, and that he would keep up with it in future.

Or else, "it's goooooooonna hurt" :fight: Ya hear, Mr Chung...?

5 hours ago, Laurent said:

Perhaps because you're on the demand-side not on the supply-side ? Customer votes with his wallet. He buys the kit or he doesn't, he takes no risk. The kit producer takes the risks, he pays the wages and the contractors, he knows how many kits he's sold to its distributors and at what price (which is far from the retail price).

Uh-huh... I concur. :hmmm:

Now, there's something peculiar about the kits I first built which were manufactured by Esci, and then were released by Kinetic - 1/48 scale. I thought the Esci Kfir was bad until I built it; same as with the Esci F-104 kit. Now I've been blessed by both Kinetic examples.

Hope Kinetic release a 1/48 Aermacchi MB 326 in the near future.

It's about this strange feeling you get after you've burnt yer finger with a hot kettle and it still hurts the same the next day, and the next, and next, until it doesn't hurt anymore, all of the sudden. I've got my Indian Pale Ale pint right next to me.

:cheers:

Unc2   

• Like 1

Hi mates

To be honest, i am really excited about the new F-104. The Hasegawa one was very good, i built several of them, but not really perfect. And KINETIC  was in the past not always perfect too with their kits. So i dont expecting too much, but if they make a good job, then we can send the Hasegawa ones into retired time.

In my eyes a F-104 is always very welcome, of course more than a rarely MB-326 whats already on the market ( Italeri). Much more wished is a Fiat G-91 or an Alpha -Jet.

• Like 1

To the question: why a One-O-Four?

Read the Kinetic boss, Raymond Chung, answer herebelow.

Source: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/308379-148-lockheed-f-104g-j-starfighter-by-kinetic-box-art3d-rendersschemes-release-june-2019/&do=findComment&comment=2961590

In the past 10 years we have made a lot of unique aircraft that no other maker did before like E-2, S-2, M-346.... and also try to make a balance between price quality and subject. 

But after when we upgrade our tooling quality, our choice of subjects would become narrowed. As we need more quantity sold to offset the cost for higher quality tooling. For example, when everyone is excited with our Su-33 release and look down on the F-18 release. The F-18 selling result is way better than the Su-33. And we have the figures forecast the F-18 is 8 times more than Su-33 in 5 years time selling period.

So in order to offer some niche item we need to do some mainstream subject to keep our book balance. 

The bottom line is we are running a business and we need profit to drive the operation. We do not want to be a modeller crazy brand but we never able to keep afloat or deliver the product. 

Raymond

Q:

As for this kit: will there be non-bulged MLG doors and different wheel options (i.e. RCAF, JASDF...) as well as two nozzle options?

A:

The kit come with both wheel and door as the F-104J need it (for japan market) but we do not offer both nozzle as the mold space not enough and we believe aftermarket supply will offer it if enough consumer demand it. 

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think sanding down bulged doors would be of any benefit . One would end up with just a frame Easier to fashion one from plastic card . But better still would be to include the right wheels and doors as an option  Early German 104s surely had them??

Will still buy one though.

2 hours ago, Homebee said:

You absolutely can't argue with any of what Raymond says there. The F-18 sales tells you everything you need to know and also answers why every manufacturer wants an F-14 in their portfolio. Irrespective of opinions on accuracy and detail, Kinetic have been brilliant for this hobby.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Filler said:

You absolutely can't argue with any of what Raymond says there. The F-18 sales tells you everything you need to know and also answers why every manufacturer wants an F-14 in their portfolio. Irrespective of opinions on accuracy and detail, Kinetic have been brilliant for this hobby.

Indeed! I thought he was spot on and as with all of their other kits that I have managed to hoard I am really looking forward to this one. One thing that really grinds though is the sheer weight of negative comments from 'arm-chair' designers looking to criticise the smallest of deviations or some minor surface detail. Kit manufacturers are selling a product and it is for consumers to decide whether or not to buy it. The manufacturers are not a public service; they 'owe' us nothing. Yet their dedication to producing a stunning array of sophisticated and detailed models over recent years is without fault. We really 'have' never had it so good. My concern around shape issues started and stopped with the Airfix Eagle Transporter. And rather than gripe about it I learnt how to use CAD and Adobe applications and created my own in 3D resin and PE until someone else came along with a better, and IM, version (thanks to Round 2 for doing just that). Otherwise with the wealth of tools, materials and aftermarket available there is nothing on a kit that I cannot modify or 'correct' to create my preferred version of what was never intended to be, nor could ever be (without a molecular miniaturisation device) an exact scale replica, but which is in fact an 'artistic representation' of a real world vehicle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

One thing that really grinds though is the sheer weight of negative comments from 'arm-chair' designers looking to criticise the

smallest of deviations or some minor surface detail.

The only difference is that we have asked to form a reviewer group before we start any project. Within the research period, the shape detail are review over 6-9 months before we start the detail design. But we do it in a very low profile way, we do not put it public.

Armchair experts put to use ?

Looks like a great kit to me at a better pricing then Hasegawa..and the Hasegawa kits are also somewhere hard to find regarding the one o four and the scooter..

so it gets a warm welcome from me ..

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

What's wrong with Italeri MB-326? Put in the Neomega pit and it's a beauty.

For starters; the nose profile is off (way too much flat on the top). If you've got the Esci/Italeri kit, compare the upper shape of the nose to these piccies.

spacer.png

spacer.png

This is an excellent drawing to use as a correction

spacer.png

Check the angle how the upper nose slopes down; this is what it's off in the kit. Then the wingtip tanks are undersize - something is wrong with the nose gear strut as well, as I've seen there's a correction from OzMods regarding these two last issues.

Edited by Uncle Uncool
Well, somehow forgot uploading "they're" piccies...
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Looks like a great kit to me at a better pricing then Hasegawa..and the Hasegawa kits are also somewhere hard to find regarding the one o four and the scooter..

cheers, Jan

i can never quite understand hasegawa's release policy, they tool some much wanted kits and never re-issue them which makes it attractive for other companies to release their own rival tooling which hurts hasegawas marketability, they didn't  release the beaufighter for over a decade so airfix did one and now the starfighter has been covered by another company , i cant understand why they dont do a general re-release of their f-111's, they must not want the money .

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Laurent said:

Armchair experts put to use ?

If their contribution is offered constructively and with a mind to the bigger picture - the aim of the exercise to produce a 'model kit' against the limitations imposed by scaling, materials and the capability of current technologies - then yes. And Raymond's considered approach was clearly not what my comments related to.

14 hours ago, Homebee said:

And we have the figures forecast the F-18 is 8 times more than Su-33 in 5 years time selling period.

Pretty much illustrates why certain aircraft are kitted and others aren't doesn't it? [if I am reading Raymond's words correctly].

Welcome news from my point of view, despite have a fair few Hasegawa F-104s and the Daco set, this is a great announcement.

Hopefully one of the future Kinetic boxings is a Marineflieger issue, with appropriate weapons etc...one can only wish.

8 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

I doubt that, as an MFG2 option is already in the box. 

Yeah just saw the pics on the LM page, hopefully some Kormorans in this boxing then.

Was about to write that Eduard has a nice set of Kormoran... and realised it's listed as discontinued... 🙄

So, also here, one can only hope. 

Edit: Only the K1 + K2 Set is discontinued. The Starfighter Set with two K1 + pylons is still available!

Edited by Ka-Efka
  • Like 2

Yes, I already have the Eduard Kormorans, and the Daco set does have Kormoran in it too. Just be good to see the Kinetic boxing with all the bits in it. Not long to wait to see I guess. Kinetic kits have tended to be pretty generous in terms of ordnance provided in many of their kits.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:29 AM, janneman36 said:

cheers, Jan

How can you think this a great kit when all they've shown is boxart and CAD images? At 40$ for the F-104G and 6500 Yen ($60) for the announced F-104J plus 12$ shipping they are at least as expensive as Hase.

Don't get me wrong: I really hope this will be a good kit that blows the Hasegawa one out of the water. But for now holding on to my Hase ones!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pollie said:

How can you think this a great kit when all they've shown is boxart and CAD images? At 40$ for the F-104G and 6500 Yen ($60) for the announced F-104J plus 12$ shipping they are at least as expensive as Hase.

Don't get me wrong: I really hope this will be a good kit that blows the Hasegawa one out of the water. But for now holding on to my Hase ones!

You maybe right about the J version as i didn’t take a look at that price, but you must confess that these kits from Hasegawa are hard to find at a decent price ..

Even when Hasegawa do a repop they manage to have a silly price tag with in my humble opinion bad decals..

Not saying the Hasegawa kit itself is bad , do think that one is also great...

Some repops have very good printed ones but their own quality isn’t my standard as they are mostly to thick with a horrible white print wich looks more yellowed then should be ...

If i even buy a Hasegawa kit i always decal them with aftermarket decals..

A man can better buy the Italeri/Hasegawa repop..

Even the aviationmegastore in Amsterdam hasn’t one in stock at the moment except for a limited edition for over 80 dollars..

You are also taking the shipping in account as i don’t  because that isn’t relevant at all as you compare the one without shipping as a cheaper one with shipping...

And i said it looks like great kit is not the same as thinking it is a great kit, therefore i must see one in the flesh.

But to be able too see one they must produce one, so bring it on..

cheers and hold on to the hase’s as they are worth gold..

• Like 4

On 6/1/2019 at 8:24 PM, Ka-Efka said:

Was about to write that Eduard has a nice set of Kormoran... and realised it's listed as discontinued... 🙄

So, also here, one can only hope. 

Edit: Only the K1 + K2 Set is discontinued. The Starfighter Set with two K1 + pylons is still available!

Thanks, yes both the Eduard sets are still available  648195 / 648249, but I was more interested in being able to buy a Marineflieger specific Kinetic boxing with all the bits needed/multiple marking options in a box without having to go AM for bits. This first boxing is a good start. From the sources I usually buy from, Marineflieger boxings of the Hasegawa F-104g have been few and far between :(

Hopefully then, this is an improvement on the Hase kit; and Kinetic issue many more boxings.....?

Edited by azzaob