1/48 - Lockheed (C)F-104C/G/J/S-ASA/M & TF-104G/DJ Starfighter by Kinetic - released - new Hypersonic Models F-104B/D conv. set - new CF-104D boxing in 2024

Homebee

I really don't want to sound negative, but Xtradecal should also release some decent stencil sheets to go with those Starfighter decals.  I'm not saying necessarily a 'Daco style' triple sheet, more something like they did for the Tornado Gr.1.

For subjects like the Hunter and Meteor, Xtradecal gives you squadron markings and they have you use the kit stencils, which is fair enough for those particular planes. But Starfighters had quite different stencilling from one operator/camouflage to another, so should be provided imho (at least the large, most visible ones)

I still pray for an up to date and correct (size and color) sheet for the Italian Starfighters.  Tauro is getting long in the tooth and SkyDecals are oversized.  I had secretly hoped Daco would have continued after their German and Belgian sheets, but I guess all their efforts are in the 1/32 Fouga Magister for the foreseeable future...

G

• Like 3

On 8/3/2019 at 1:39 PM, Homebee said:

A bunch of 1/48th Starfighter decals sheets announced by Xtradecals

The errors are most likely Xtradecals, but I do have some mainly Dutch nits to pick. 

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, 'D-8288' of 322 Squadron, Commando Luchtverdedinging, Koninkijke Luchtmacht, (Royal Netherlands Air Force), based at Leeuwarden, Netherlands, 1970's.

It's Luchtverdediging (lit. Air Defence), not Luchtverdedinging.

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, 'JA+124', of Jadgeshwader 'Richthofen' (JG 71), Luftwaffe, (German Air Force), based at Wittmund, West Germany, 1965

It's Jagdgeschwader, not Jadgeshwader.

Lockheed F-104G Starfighter, 'D-8331' of 312 Squadron, Commando Luchtverdedinging, Koninkijke Luchtmacht, (Royal Netherlands Air Force), based at Volkel, Netherlands, 1983..

The Volkel Wing was dedicated to recce (306 Sqn) and strike / attack (311 / 312 Sqns), and so the Volkel units did not fall under the Commando Luchtverdediging but were with the Commando Tactische Luchtstrijdkrachten (TacAir). 

Psst... Mr Hannants! Will spellcheck for decals.  ;) 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

It looks like an awesome kit. And I will definitely get a few!  But then I don’t see any reason to sell my Hasegawa and Daco correction sets.  I even bet it will be hard to tell the difference once both are finished next to each other...

An improvement over the Hasegawa? Most likely yes.... But calling it a “massive improvement over the two decades old Hasegawa” like Brett Green does, just by a cursory look at the sprues is maybe slightly over the top.  But then, he gets the kits for free... 

If I find the Hasegawa kit at a fair price at a model expo for example, I would still snatch them up, no doubt!

37 minutes ago, guillaume320 said:

It looks like an awesome kit. And I will definitely get a few!  But then I don’t see any reason to sell my Hasegawa and Daco correction sets.  I even bet it will be hard to tell the difference once both are finished next to each other...

An improvement over the Hasegawa? Most likely yes.... But calling it a “massive improvement over the two decades old Hasegawa” like Brett Green does, just by a cursory look at the sprues is maybe slightly over the top.  But then, he gets the kits for free... 

If I find the Hasegawa kit at a fair price at a model expo for example, I would still snatch them up, no doubt!

I take all his "reviews" with more than a grain of salt-in fact do not consider them reviews at all, still remember buying Eduard's Bf 109E-1 in 32nd.scale upon his more than favourable "review" 

I will hold my judgement after my kit arrives, but just looking from the sprues(as G.B does) I see some areas where Hasegawa is still better....

Wheels, exhaust...for now, comparing Daco sets to the new Kinetic, they did not copy the sets-detail is different, now what I will say is highly non objective but to me seems like copy of Hasegawa with added avionics bay...will see in few days. 

Edited by Thomas V.
  • Like 1

I have to say I’m disappointed by the decal sheets - agree with the comments others have made, not enough stencils. I was looking forward to this kit but having just finished a Hasegawa kit (without using a Daco set) I’m in two minds - I think the Hasegawa kit is pretty good for 20 years old and for the price I paid for it! 

HLJ has the J as a future release at over $80 (in Aussie dollars) and when they have the Hasegawa kit in stock it’s usually around $25. The kinetic kit will probably be in the $70-80 range when it hits the shelves here. I’m starting to think I’m going to take some convincing that it’s worth the money when I can get two or three Hasegawa kits for the same price.

20 hours ago, mr_stomach said:

No stencils in both releases. Very bad. It maybe not so important for luftwaffe lizard and JASDF Aggressor but very important for luftwaffe splinter, marine and usual JASDF scheme.

Actually, I don't mind the lack of stencils. I hate the things and, usually bin them immediately (apart from the bright coloured/prominent ones!). 

About 70% of the stencils on my recently bought Airfix Phantoms met that fate! Funny lot modellers! 😀

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

Actually, I don't mind the lack of stencils. I hate the things and, usually bin them immediately (apart from the bright coloured/prominent ones!). 

About 70% of the stencils on my recently bought Airfix Phantoms met that fate! Funny lot modellers! 😀

Allan

On many F-104 schemes however stencils are very visible, and a company should supply them, more so when the kit features a price tag of that kind. It would be like buying a 50k car and not having air conditioning...

• Like 4

Definitely going to get one but will wait for a UK landing and a bit of a price drop. I still have a Hasegawa C with all the CMK bells and whistles and an FG which I'd like to build as a Luftwaffe bird. I'd like to build the Kinetic in one of the special schemes using the decals I liberated from my old Italeri kit.  

And how many with dozens of decal sheets in their stash will have enough to complete without having to use kit decals. Buying aftermarket decals is just a given for some.

On 8/7/2019 at 3:04 PM, mr_stomach said:

No stencils in both releases. Very bad. It maybe not so important for luftwaffe lizard and JASDF Aggressor but very important for luftwaffe splinter, marine and usual JASDF scheme.

The stencils of the real ones are transfers, applied in a similar (time consuming) process like our model - decals. On the last repainted Luftwaffe and Marine Starfighter in old camouflage scheme only the most important stencils are applied. 22+39 and 26+60 on the sheet have this feature.

Example: 26+60 MFG2

But there is a slight mistake:  For 26+60 under the German flag it should be  "Marine Starfighter XXXX", not "Luftwaffe Starfighter XXXX" And the pylons under the wings are always painted in RAL 6014 for both schemes.

7 minutes ago, Boman said:

What color is RAL 6014? Not too familiar with RAL's unfortunatelly ;)

"Gelbolive" (Yellow Olive) The same color is painted on the top of the splinter scheme in conjunction with RAL 7012 Basalt Grey

Two just crash landed in my front garden (sorry, could not resist...), but I've had a quick look inside the box and I like what I see. OK, more stencils would have been nice to at least provide a choice, but I'm sure the end result will be something that will leave me more than happy. I want to start build right away, but find myself wanting an Eduard interior etch set to add more life to the cockpit, something that I am sure will be on the market soon enough.