BA Landor colours and wing flex?

Hey all,

I'm about to start on a classic BA Landor scheme for my Revell 777-300ER and I was wondering, what are the correct colours for this scheme? I've read around and Xtracolour seems to come up, but some doubt the accuracy of this colour?

Also,I'm planning to use the current 777-2 decals from hannants. Tail-wise it should be the same size, other parts will have to be drawn in, but any detail I should be aware of to make it as realistic as possible?

Any tips are welcome!

Also, any tutorials on how to wing-flex a model? I know hot water works, but I'm unsure how to design the jig for a realistic depiction of the wing flex for the 77W.

Cheers!

• Like 1

I can't wait to see that finished!  The Landor livery is the most elegant, and I'm glad they've brought it back on the 747-400.

I imagine it's going to look pretty sleek on the 77W!

I've built a couple of Airfix kits in Landor: a 737 and 747.

I sort of followed the paint guides.  I used Humbrol 15 midnight blue spray for the belly, and Halford's appliance gloss white for the upper fuselage.  

I can't mix paints anymore because I've lost some parts of my airbrush, but Airfix instructions for the 747-100 say the upper fuselage is a mix of 50% gloss white (Humbrol 22), and 50% pale grey gloss (Humbrol 40), with the blue belly as midnight blue (Humbrol 15).

I've got an unbuilt Revell 747-400 in Landor to build, and Revell's instructions for the Landor 747-400 say that the upper fuselage is light grey silk (Revell 371), and the blue belly is a mix of 85% Lufthansa blue (Revell 350) and 15% black silk (Revell 302).

This is how my two turned out:

IMG_7460

IMG_4173

• Like 3

Xtracolor BA Pearl Grey (X304) is too dark and needs probably 30-50% white added. The last time I built a Landor model I just did it by eye.

For the blue I've always used a mix given to me by a modelling friend who was a BA flight dispatcher in the Landor era - 50% Oxford Blue (X023) and 50% US Airways Dark Blue (X357)

Humbrol 15 is a decent-ish match for the earlier Negus blue but to my eyes it's not quite right for Landor. Kit painting instructions should always be viewed with scepticism particularly when they're trying to sell their own brand of paint! However, it's your model and your decision how to finish it.

I've never deliberately flexed the wings of a model but I once did the opposite and straightened the wings of a Minicraft DC-8 which are moulded with an incorrect downward bend. I used a hairdryer VERY carefully on the parts before the wings were assembled, aiming just to render the plastic slightly flexible but not melt(!) it. I got there in the end but it was pretty heart-in-mouth stuff.

Dave G

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think A BA 777-300 Landor livery would be absolutely beautiful and most elegant, and a wonderful addition to any collection...however...when I began to inquire as to the accuracy of such a build, I was informed that BA did not paint the Landor livery on their -300s. Here’s to hoping you prove that report wrong. 

• Like 1

That’s a good point which I missed earlier. The World Images replaced Landor in 1997 and delivery of the 773ERs didn’t start until 2010 so no BA 773ER can have flown in Landor although several of the older 772s did. That said, it’s up to the OP how to finish his model and if he wants to do a flight of fancy Landor 773 good luck to him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

That said, it’s up to the OP how to finish his model and if he wants to do a flight of fancy Landor 773 good luck to him.

Agreed with enthusiasm!!! I'm still NOT convinced NOT to build a B777-300 in the Landor livery as a flight of fancy.

Whatever you decide, I am looking forward to seeing the process and the finished model! All the best as you proceed!

10 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Agreed with enthusiasm!!! I'm still NOT convinced NOT to build a B777-300 in the Landor livery as a flight of fancy.

Whatever you decide, I am looking forward to seeing the process and the finished model! All the best as you proceed!

Just to be clear, it's Jetblast787 who is planning/building the 773, not me. :)

• Like 1

Hello @jetblast787 and :welcome:

Having cross referenced my revell BA Landor 747, Lufthansa 747-400 and 747-8i instructions which list 371 as the grey to use. I have been told by fellow Britmodellers to take a trip to Halfords and buy some 'racking grey' RAL7035 as this is generally considered the best option. 

Edited by Abandoned Project
Typo

Just to be clear (again!) Halfords Racking Grey is indeed an excellent match for Boeing Grey, i.e. the grey used on wings, tailplanes, engine pylons etc. However the Pearl Grey used on the upper fuselage of the Landor livery is a completely different colour.

Revell 374 is a relatively dark grey - it matches RAL7004. It's good for replicating Aeroflex, the paint Airbus now use in place of coroguard, but for the former Lufthansa grey it needs to be lightened a little bit, at least to my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Thanks for the reply's! I've been busy this month hence I haven't managed to work on my model. I have however attempted to assembly the engine casing to the fan case but it won't fit! I've tried multiple ways of getting it to marry up but I'm having no luck. I've watched a few youtube videos which show it's possible but the fan casing seems bigger than the engine cover. Anyone else have a similar problem?

On 6/7/2019 at 4:55 PM, Skodadriver said:

That’s a good point which I missed earlier. The World Images replaced Landor in 1997 and delivery of the 773ERs didn’t start until 2010 so no BA 773ER can have flown in Landor although several of the older 772s did. That said, it’s up to the OP how to finish his model and if he wants to do a flight of fancy Landor 773 good luck to him.

I found an image on Airliners.net dated 21 Jun 2010 taken at 'Everett - Snohomish County / Paine Field (PAE / KPAE) ' with the caption: "The very first BA 77W is about to land after its very first flight. Big thank you to Bill and Krisz, my friends who made this shot possible."

No sign of the Landor scheme I am afraid.

• 1 month later...
On 08/06/2019 at 09:24, Skodadriver said:

Just to be clear (again!) Halfords Racking Grey is indeed an excellent match for Boeing Grey, i.e. the grey used on wings, tailplanes, engine pylons etc. However the Pearl Grey used on the upper fuselage of the Landor livery is a completely different colour.

Revell 374 is a relatively dark grey - it matches RAL7004. It's good for replicating Aeroflex, the paint Airbus now use in place of coroguard, but for the former Lufthansa grey it needs to be lightened a little bit, at least to my eyes.

I just saw this photo on Airliners.net, and it shows how different the pearl grey is compared to the white on the Chatham jets:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/British-Airways/Boeing-747-436/5639125/L

^ And in that photo, you can also see the difference between the old creamier white and the current brighter white. The brighter white ones had the BA crest by the title added during their repaints. The B777 towards the top of the picture is one a relatively few number of aircraft that had the crest applied while still in the older white.

I don't know if it is of interest but the Xtradecal Landor 777 sheet is listed on my Sale post https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235059459-172-aircraft-items-air-britain-other-books-plans/

Sorry for using your thread to advertise but it's my only 1/144 item so probably won't get noticed unless I plug it!

On 8/28/2019 at 9:47 AM, buzz said:

^ And in that photo, you can also see the difference between the old creamier white and the current brighter white. The brighter white ones had the BA crest by the title added during their repaints. The B777 towards the top of the picture is one a relatively few number of aircraft that had the crest applied while still in the older white.

It's also quite common to see a "creamy" white aircraft with a "bright" white nose cone and vice versa - guess they often get swapped between aircraft during maintenance.

IIRC the BA Source website has a comprehensive list of which version of white a particular aircraft carries and also if the crest has been applied.

Mike

• 8 months later...

Hey all! With the lockdown I've had some time to go back to this project! I'm currently installing SMD LED lights at the wingtip but I noticed that the light bleeds through the plastic model. How do I overcome this?

20 hours ago, jetblast787 said:

Hey all! With the lockdown I've had some time to go back to this project! I'm currently installing SMD LED lights at the wingtip but I noticed that the light bleeds through the plastic model. How do I overcome this?

Is it bare plastic, or is it primed?

You might find with a dark primer, it doesn't bleed through because the plastic is no longer translucent.