Dee Howard 500

72modeler

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I would like a 1/72 model of the 2x Howard 500s that I have flown. If anyone has had success of making a reasonable model of this aircraft I would be pleased to hear about what kits they used and what was needed to convert them? Any photos of the finished model would also be good to see. 

thanks,

Jon. 

Hi Jon @FL200 I hope you have success with the project.

It's not an easy thing to do. Have you got photo references for the planes? 

Here's what I have to offer...... 

I've done the Academy PV1 Ventura in 1.72 and civilianised it in a what if way.. 

IMG_20210514_221241

Scratch built windows and door (port side) and the bulge under the back end is still there. 

Also done the MPM Lodestar in 1.72 which is a better shape, but the engines + nacelles etc are all wrong for the Howard. 

IMG_20210514_221327

So I'm wondering...... And this is just off the top of my head...... about the possibility of bashing the 2 kits, Lodestar fuselage married to the Ventura wings with the P&W Double Wasps and Bay doors. 

There could be some heavy going with kits from 2 different manufacturers. 

Howard basically made a whole other fuselage, and I'm wondering if the Lodestar fuselage would get you started on the right track. I've never really got a handle on what the differences are with the Howard. Longer nose? Window count? Panoramic windows? 

I think they did away with the wing trailing edge extension pieces that make the dogleg shape along the wing shape. 

Any photos and references you have of the aircraft in question might help you decide what is going to be required. 

That's the best I can come up with 👍

• Like 1

The 2 aircraft are N500LN and N500HP. There are plenty of photos on Google of both of them showing the aircraft shape and configuration. 

I wonder if anyone has considered converting a Flight Sim 3D model into a 3D printable model?

Edited by FL200
Error in aircraft registration
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, FL200 said:

I wonder if anyone has considered converting a Flight Sim 3D model into a 3D printable model?

That is all way out of my zone but there is more activity all the time with this kind of model developing. I have a feeling that BM has set up a 3D print area on here somewhere. Might be worth chatting to the "boffins". 

I looked through some of the online info on 500LN. If you want to stay in 1.72 scale the Academy PV1 will get you to the starting line. The dorsal gunners bulge needs to be faired, Windows and door, 4 blade props,, bomb bay door joints, and the flaps /trailing edges looks like they are modified a bit. But the shape is there including the tail extension out behind the tailplanes. 

But a good dedicated 3D print fuselage would be very nice! 👍😎

After seeing and drooling over the Howard at Oshkosh,I too wanted a model, when Home Bargains was selling the Revell Ventura kits for what seemed like pennies a few years back I bought one and took it back home to Perth to start the conversion, gathering as many references as I could I found such a conversion was beyond my modelling skill level.. I'll have a look to see if I kept the references  to assist anyone, but am not hopeful