Martlet VI interior colors

Eduardo Soler

Could you clarify a doubt? I need to know what was the color of the inside of the main gear well on Martlet IV: Interior green (USA or RAF) Sky ....other color... And the color of the cockpit. British or American paints?

IV, or VI?  It is likely to make a difference.

Post 6 on this thread is a start for what I would consider reliable information.  The Mk.IV is a variation on F4F-4 (not directly the same), but therefore is Grumman built.  The FM-1 mentioned in the link is the first Eastern Aircraft production version, which is the Mk.V, and the FM-2 (also Eastern Aircraft) is the Mk.VI.  So not only does it depend on which factory, it also depends on timeframe.

bob

p.s. @Dana Bell is a member here, too, so perhaps now I've drawn his attention to this thread.  (Hi Dana!)

Edited by gingerbob
  • Like 1

The dished recessed area of the rear wheel well, where the tire rested, was typically in the underside camouflage color. Most photos appear to show the firewall painted in a darker protective color, but I don’t know what that was. 

Dana Bell’s recent Wildcat book for Classic Warships Publishing agrees with his post linked above. All Grumman-built Wildcats (Martlet Mks I, II, III, and IV) had Bronze Green cockpits.  This changed to Dull Dark Green early during FM-1 (Martlet V) production, then changed again to Interior Green during FM-2 (Martlet VI) production. I don’t know where Martlet serials fall in respect to those changes though.

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 2

MD,

Have you dodged all the severe weather where you are? My sister lives in Seymour, and they've had just about enough of all the rain- that's what she gets for leaving Texas, I keep telling her!😜

Mike

Yes, thanks! I’m in west Knoxville, about 20 miles from Seymour.

Been pretty quiet here the last few days, hot and sunny. Had some hard rain a few days ago, but we are well-removed from the current rash of tornadoes in the Midwest.