The last Frog F312 Anatra DS Anasal

Doccur

Hi Ash,

That looks very nice. Yes, the gloss Xtracolour can take up to 2 days to dry, but I find that if I give it a really good stir it dries faster - however some colours seem to be better than others in that respect, and it may be my imagination but newer tins seem to be drying faster than old stock so perhaps they have made some changes to the formula? You might want to leave the wing roundels off until you decide if you are rigging it, as they could get damaged with all the handling and superglue required.

Just a thought.

Pete

• Thanks 1

@PeterB

I was quite worried about the paint, but with a good base coat and a heavy thinning using humbrol thinners it has performed fantastically! Considering I used to exclusively use acrylics I think I have been converted to an enamel Man!

As for the rigging I think you are probably right, I’ve already had to deal with a black thumb print I managed to smear on the fuselage! I’d hate to bugger the model up at this late stage. 

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Penultimate update:

Anatra

I have added the undercarriage and attempted rigging... I have given up and I am disappointed in myself for doing so. However, looking on the bright side, this kit was a pig to line up all the struts and radiator assy with the top wing. Plus it’s my first bipe. So small victories eh? Next up to add the spinney thing and those lovely big roundels and she should be finished (what could possibly go wrong?).

Cheers

Ash 

• Like 7

And here it is! The moment you’ve all been waiting for! She’s all done :) I knew this kit would be a challenge, but I’ve built newer kits with worse issues, so I can safely recommend giving this one a crack (it’s only about £6?). 

48538298721_42d1083f50_b.jpg 48538445787_049ee19c13_b.jpg

48538445962_ba975d8ea9_b.jpg

Any questions, tips or comments are welcome :) 

Cheers,

Ash

onto the Ventura!

• Like 10

Well done Ash, your first Bipe you say... congratulations on a mighty fine build. I still haven't completed one since I made the Matchbox Sea Fox as a 16 year old, so it's certainly something I need to muster the strength to tackle again one day. You have done this kit proud and it looks fabulous. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

Hi Ash 

Wow this turned out very well and looks absolutely stunning. Great work. I can understand the rigging issue it can seem quite scary still to me and I have made a few biplanes now (scariest was a 1/72 Airfix Avro 504), but if I can do it, anyone can !!!

Great work on your first Biplane, I hope it's not going to be your last one.

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

A great result, lovely job! 

It was a good idea to give up on the rigging. If you plan to rig a biplane you have to think ahead, and drill all the rigging holes before painting and attaching the wings. Then, once everything is in place, it's a simple matter of threading it all. 

Ian

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...