F333 Fairey Delta 2 - COMPLETE

Doccur

Update 2: 

Filled in the incorrectly positioned windows and cut some new ones in by chain drilling and filing. 

71F4867B-98AB-40F6-90BC-E12AABB3B7B7

Furthermore, is there an award for most detailed cockpit in this GB? If so I think I may have nailed it with this one😂:

A93CBC95-E603-4516-8031-E359322741BC

Cheers,

ash 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

I like that Ash. Funnily enough I just picked up a Novo version of this kit at a recent swap meet and the first thing I noticed was a lack of kit windows besides the front curved glazing. I didn’t know about these window inaccuracies so this WIP will now be even better to watch as a learning exercise as well. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I didn’t know about these window inaccuracies so this WIP will now be even better to watch as a learning exercise as well. 

Hi Dave,

as you can see from the image below, the windows on the aircraft are much further forwards than as depicated on the kit! The side windows consist of one larger and one smaller, although at this scale i might struggle to get the smaller ones right...

Cheers,

Ash

spacer.png

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Doccur said:

most detailed cockpit

Luxury! When we were lads an’ built the Gannet, the ‘eads were moulded in one piece wi’t’cockpit!

Nice work on moving the window to give us a better view of all the detail!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I assume you know that this aircraft still exists (albeit with a modified wing as part of the development of Concorde).  It’s at the FAA Museum in Yeovilton - if you need any reference shots...

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

It’s at the FAA Museum in Yeovilton

Ah, that explains why the hall at Cosford was a bit emptier when I went there last summer. Did Yeovilton get the SR53 as well?

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Luxury! When we were lads an’ built the Gannet, the ‘eads were moulded in one piece wi’t’cockpit!

Nice work on moving the window to give us a better view of all the detail!

Regards,

Adrian

Ditto the Attacker. By all accounts not very accurate but it was all there was for many a year, like the Gannet and FD2

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I assume you know that this aircraft still exists (albeit with a modified wing as part of the development of Concorde).  It’s at the FAA Museum in Yeovilton - if you need any reference shots...

Last time I went to Yeovilton (many years ago) they had a display of Concorde related aircraft set out around their prototype - The modified FD2 with the ogival wing for high speed research and the one with the triangular wing and the engine on top of the fuselage for low speed research - HP 115 I think. Are they both still there?

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 12:58 PM, AdrianMF said:

Ah, that explains why the hall at Cosford was a bit emptier when I went there last summer. Did Yeovilton get the SR53 as well?

Regards,

Adrian

Two different aeroplanes. WG777 is at Cosford, and has the original wing. WG774 is at Yeovilton and has the ogival wing making it the one and only BAC 221. I've seen both of them first hand within the last couple of months.

• 2 weeks later...

Update 3:

Nearly 3 weeks since my last update! Unfortunately rugby sevens and a university reunion have stood in the way of progress. 

I have left the updates few and far between purely because of the simplicity of the kit. I completed final assembly fairly quickly. Try as I might, getting the damn thing to fit properly was nigh on impossible... so I turned to my two trusty friends; filler and sandpaper. As you can see from the below photos, a lot was required! 

FD2 FD2

FD2

Now, onwards to priming, where I am trying the much famed Halfords grey primer. I am hoping to get the coats of ‘mauve/pink’ on at the weekend. This is what I have mixed using Humbrol 58 Magenta as a base with small amounts of 60 Scarlet and 34 White. 

48147379132_22bb4c78a5_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 10

Update 4: These are coming thick and fast tonight! 

And the grey primer is on. 

48147379526_4fb7654c0d_b.jpg

Apart from a couple of adhesive marks which I will deal with once the primer has cured, I’m fairly happy with the job I have done. 

Thanks again,

Ash

• Like 11

58 minutes ago, TonyW said:

That's not the FROG kit I know, everything fits!

The colour is going to make it stand out a bit I think. Nice work.

Tony.

Thanks Tony. However, this kit did anything but fit. It fought me at every turn and the amount of filling and sanding I’ve had to do has been excessive 😂

Cheers,

Ash 

Update 5:

I had a slight disaster with the paint job, I mistook touch dry for completely cured and when I put the second coat on, it completely buggered everything up! 

So so I had to sand everything back and re-prime: now after being a bit more patient, I have applied two coats of the pink/mauve, it will just require one more extremely thin coat i reckon! Then it’s time. To polish and varnish to attempt to replicate the high gloss finish this bird had! (P.s anyone have any tips for polishing? I’m planning on lightly wet polishing with Tamiya 6000 grit ‘lapping film’.)

48177677636_460b95738b_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 12

Tamiya polishing compound [finish] has done a great job on my Beriev Be-200.

Just don't get it mixed up with Tamiya putty the tube with the orange cap]. Ask me how I know.........!

hth,

Rog

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is looking so cool and if I could find suitable decals I’d paint mine the same (at least the wife would approve for once)! 

Now I generally use a soft cloth (like a jewellers cloth) and rub my clear coat in small rigorous circles. This tends to polish up the clear coat nice and smoothly without the need to resort to other products. I suppose it depends on the final sheen you’re after but this basic technique does actually work. 

Either way, this build is ticking plenty of boxes for me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Looking good in its mauve paint, I was tempted to build one of these for the GB as I have found  a couple of Novo kits in the stash, a blue and mauve one with a white SR 53 would look nice though I was a rather disappointed with the A-Z SR 53 kit, still got an Airfix one though. :whistle:

• Like 1

Looking good - I normally polish with micromesh, starting with 4000 then 8000, then 12000. I use enamels mostly, which are quite tough once they have cured. Not sure if this method would work for acrylics..

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, roginoz said:

Just don't get it mixed up with Tamiya putty the tube with the orange cap]. Ask me how I know.........!

@roginoz story time? 😂

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

if I could find suitable decals I’d paint mine the same 

@Rabbit Leader if you were interested I could put you in touch with the chap who printed mine for me :) 

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking forward to seeing it flying on a stand!

@AdrianMF

I am definitely going to have to pinch a sky base stand from my dad for this! 

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was a rather disappointed with the A-Z SR 53 kit, still got an Airfix one though. :whistle:

I might have to acquire one of these for a Whif build 👀

2 hours ago, Dermo245 said:

I think my F-4 will run you close 😂

Go team ‘flying heads’ 😂

Thanks all for your kind comments, building in a forum such as this is making my build even more enjoyable 😋

Cheers,

Ash 

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 2

Update 6: I polished the upper wing surfaces as they seemed to suffer from a serious case of hairy brush streaking but the rest of the paint job seemed ok. I have then applied two heavily thinned coats of some old Humbrol gloss cote and it’s looks shiny enough to me! On to decals and finishing this beaut. 

48199741002_3c30f95911_b.jpg

(Due to the time of the evening the light wasn’t very good so the colour appears somewhat more red than in reality)

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 11