F240 PV-1 Ventura

Doccur

Update 1: As I cannot find a suitable replacement for the ventral canopy, I have ordered the squadron vac form set (meant for minicraft but will fettle to fit). Also, I have ordered a DK decals set, not the RAAF one as this is indefinitely out of stock :( This does have a wide variety of options however : https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72048?&currency_id=8 as above, I am tempted by the TSS scheme! 

Onto the build! I have put together the wings, and as I was missing most of the interior, I used bits from a Frog Skua I ruined a few years ago...! This was given a couple of coats of acrylic model master Zinc Chromate and a pilot stuck in to fill up the space.  Fit isn’t excellent but not too bad. A lot of filling and sanding to come! I am off on my holibobs on Saturday so trying to get as much of this build done before that! 

48587674237_2bf3e6382e_b.jpg

Watch this space!

Cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 8

Shame the RAAF sheet is OOS at Hannants, however there's a good selection of nice schemes on DK's other Ventura sheet. I am always quite surprised why photos of everyone else's Zinc Chromate Green always look better than what I can achieve.  I'm wondering if this colour varies quite a bit under photographic conditions and is actually quite different when viewed with the naked eye? Either way, good seeing this kit getting assembled and moving on. Enjoy the holidays when they arrive. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Thanks Dave :) 

I reckon there are still some good schemes on there despite them not being RAAF 😅

With regards to the Zinc Chromate, I reckon it’s partially to do with the camera and also how every manufacturer has a slightly different shade? If I used my Humbrol authentic tin it looks a lot darker than this one. 

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 2

My Humbrol Authentic Chromate is bright yellow. There is a good article on interior colours on the IPMS Stockholm site and it describles the various shades of chromate from yellow to green - apparently the manufactures often mixed their own variant. Looking good Ash.

Pete

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2019 at 4:38 PM, Doccur said:

DK decals set, not the RAAF one as this is indefinitely out of stock :( This does have a wide variety of options however : https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/DKD72048?&currency_id=8 as above, I am tempted by the TSS scheme! 

In descending order of choices if i could pick I like 7, 11,12,13, and 8 in that order. Its your kit and build of course, but these would be my choices if i were to build it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

In descending order of choices if i could pick I like 7, 11,12,13, and 8 in that order. Its your kit and build of course, but these would be my choices if i were to build it. 

Cheers Dennis! 11 and 15 are currently the front runners!  Thanks @stevehnz, I have already ordered the alternative decal sheet, and now as above I am seriously considering a faded NZ Blue Sea Grey... as here http://www.kiwimodeller.com/~kmodel/index.php/forum/38-follow-as-i-build/29534-revell-1-48-ventura-mk-ii-raf-or-b-34-ventura-rnzaf?start=12

With the actual build I am steaming ahead nicely: the fuselage halves don’t line up particularly well... neither does the wing to fuselage join! The wings are too wide for the wing root 🤦🏻‍♂️ But if I didn’t have to use copious amounts of filler would this be a Frog Squad Build? 😂 If I had the patience  I would describe the raised details but alas I don’t! I’m not looking forward to fitting the cowlings as they leave a huge gap despite my fettling them.  They come in a weird configuration where the bulk is moulded with the wing and only the Nose ring cowlings come separately. 

48595227417_c78010d892_b.jpg

48595091786_343eb5be7a_b.jpg

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Works for me. :) I'll be looking forward to seeing it come together,

Steve.

Thanks Steve :)

Any chance I can get an assist in terms of colours? I’m struggling to find a match with any of my usual brands. 

Cheers,

Ash

I'm just heading to bed now, early start in the  morning, but if someone like @LDSModeller doesn't chip in, perhaps you can find some info from this page, I'll look up the humbrol mix he mentions on the colours & marking page when I'm home tomorrow evening.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

@stevehnz Thanks mate :) I have just got my decals and it gives a mix of Humbrol 96 4 parts and Humbrol 134 1 part for the Sea Blue grey. It also suggests Humbrol 64 for the undersides. I look forward to hearing your suggestions. 

Enjoy your early start! 

Cheers,

Ash

• Sad 1

Hi Ash,

Interesting colour. The chap building that one refers to USN  Blue Grey which is one of those colours that is subject to some debate. I got a tin from Hannants (Xtracolour X162) a while back for my Vought Vindicator (aka Vibrator), and thought it was a bit dark so added a bit of light grey. This chap mentions a greener tint so you could experiment with that. Sovereign Colourcoats also do it though I have not tried that. An alternative might be playing around with Intermediate blue, adding grey and perhaps a touch of green. It also looks a bit like some versions of Ocean Grey - the ones with the bluish tint.

Unless Steve can give you a "definitive" colour it looks like it is going to be a repeat of the pink for your FD2 - mix it yourself!

Pete

• Like 2

Cheers @PeterB!

I fully suspect mixing my own will be the way forward! That greeny blue is what I want to aim for, especially as I’ll be experimenting with fading the paint, i think it just looks marvellous! 

Ash 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm just heading to bed now, early start in the  morning, but if someone like @LDSModeller doesn't chip in, perhaps you can find some info from this page, I'll look up the humbrol mix he mentions on the colours & marking page when I'm home tomorrow evening.

Steve.

Hi Folks,

Sorry I have to disagree with the modeller Wally on Kiwi Modeller, and his call out on RNZAF NZ Sea Blue Grey

I have had discussion with him previous and lets just say he has an interesting (though not necessarily accurate) take

on things RNZAF.

This is a link to a photo taken by Dave Homewood at the RNZAF Museum some years ago,

which features a P40E in RNZAF NZ Sea Blue Grey

NZ Sea Blue Grey

As you can see it's not a Green Blue colour or anything like Wally's call outs in the Kiwi Modeller link above

I mixed some NZ Sea Blue Grey for a P40K build as in link below, which I faded some what

RNZAF P40K

I looked for my Humbrol mix, but it's gone walk about.

Basically Hu 25 with some Hu 164 and a touch of Hu 130

Hopefully it will give you some idea?

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

@LDSModeller, Hi Alan, thanks for quoting me & alerting me to a glitch in my post, I know it appears to refer to Wally's post on KM, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt & blame lighting, the "this page" I was referring to was 'sposed to be a link to Pete Mossong's Ventura page which mentions Warren Russell's mix for the NZ Blue Grey. Being a bit tired as I was, I then omitted the link. :( l'll rectify things after tea when I'm home. Work is so bloody inconvenient at times but it pays better than modelling. :D

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The link I omitted to give above was this one, for Peter Mossong's pages on Hobbyvista, a treasury of useful RNZAF stuff, this particular being for the Ventura. One page linked from that is the one on Ventura colours & markings. the colour in question is one known by several names, Blue grey, Pacific Blue but correctly Ocean blue, which has a BS381c identity, namely #636, also known as RAF PRU Blue. Warren Russel in his seminal book on RNZAF colour schemes gives it as a 1:1 mix of Humbrol Hu5 to Hunbrol Hu34, in modern parlance Hu96/34 but I would imagine Hu 230 PRU Blue would suffice. Bearing in mind, such factors as weathering & fading, a little lightning would likely not go astray, the underside colour Sky grey is a mid greenish grey, rather than describe the mixes for that. I'll link to a page of New Zealand colours which appear to take their mixes from the Russell books, and a page from the IPMS web site which gives modern equivalents to the Humbrol Authentic shades quoted in the preceding link. Enjoy. :) 

This BSC381 chart has patches for 631 Light grey aka Sky grey & 636 PRU Blue aka Ocean Blue, nearly half way down on the right side.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As far as can see Hu 134 Satin Blue has been out of production  for a while so that could have been a problem. I have painted the underside of my old refurbished Hornet in Humbrol Acrylic 230 PRU Blue and it is a greyish blue - was going to send a pic but can't get the colour anywhere near - looks far too blue.  I think Steve is right abd it will be about correct though you may want to make it very slightly greyer.

DSC01031

I used Xtracolour PRU Blue on my Spit XI above and this pic looks fairly close to the kit colour. The Mk VIII has a bluish Ocean Grey which might also be worth considering - I believe it is Tamiya XF82.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 4

Blimey and I thought the paint pickle I got into with my Japanese trainer orange vs yellow was complicated !

I guess life would be boring if we went for the easy option, although that Coastal Command version did look very nice.....

cheers Pat

• Like 4

Looking good Ash, and I am sure it will look great whatever scheme you do. I built the Academy kit a couple of years ago and did one of the colourful RCAF machines, which was very enjoyable modelling.  

Can't believe your Dad's luck in finding the box of Frogs, fantastic.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

Yes, Tamiya Ocean Grey with a touch of PRU blue might be pretty close - I have an old Airfix Blenheim IV I use as a test bed for both paint and decs and I imagine you have something similar. I will be using it to test the paint for my Folgore later today. 

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another update after a busy couple of weeks! The first week back from a holiday is always tough eh? 

I am still getting on with putting this together. It’s a right *#!* to get to fit... lots of filling and sanding again! 

Discovered that Sovereign hobbies has added RNZAF colours to their range so I ordered those for this. Can’t wait to get some painting done and experimenting with a faded paint job. 

Also very glad we have an extra few days to get our Fantastic Frog kits completed! 

48688887101_cbe8b135d6_b.jpg

48689057067_f7593986e8_b.jpg

Cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 6