F240 PV-1 Ventura

Doccur

Good morning,

In this group build I have decided to embark on building 3 kits, which all started life as part of Frog. All 3 however, are Frog Spawn! As a relative youngster in the community (23!!!), I was not about when these kits were widely available. My fascination with these kits started when I was ten or so and I came home from school to find my dad rooting through a huge cardboard box full of Frog and Frogspawn... long story short he drove past a couple of ladies chucking a big box out and he saw something that caught his eye. Turns out these ladies were clearing out their late father's house and thought the treasure trove of kits were worthless! Apparently if he had come by sooner there were a couple of other boxes full of kits which had already gone... alas there are most likely on the big scrap pile in the sky 😂 Anyway, so instead of spending my pre-teens building airfix and the like, I spent it building various Frog kits! Stuff like the Spitfire and flying bomb combination spring to mind.

On to the kits at hand though! The first of the three kits is the PV-1 Ventura, which as you can see below has just come in a clear bag with no instructions and a missing canopy part. This kit is interesting as it was never boxed and sold as a Frog kit before they went bust, the moulds were shipped out to Russia when this happened. Furthermore,  As I have heard about the unreliabilty of these old decals I invested the measly sum of 6 pounds in some aftermarket decals from 'Colorado decals' which provide a wealth of options. I am still very unsure of which to depict but I am tempted by NZ4600 of the RNZAF (technically a b34 Lexington), which is painted in Olive Drab and Neutral Grey and is currently on display at the Museum of Transport and Technology in New Zealand. We shall see!

Happy building

Ash

A3438C2C-6DD1-407F-890B-1D1A774EDD6C

NZ4600 Lockheed Ventura MOTAT Auckland 10Mar09

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Doccur said:

but I am tempted by NZ4600 of the RNZAF (technically a b34 Lexington), which is painted in Olive Drab and Neutral Grey and is currently on display at the Museum of Transport and Technology in New Zealand. We shall see!

Always nice to see an RNZAF aircraft - Just an FYI, WWII RNZAF aircraft

never wore Roundels on their wings with yellow surrounds.

Not sure why manufacturers keep printing these and in the that non existent

light blue too

If you decide on NZ4600, look forward to seeing your progress :)

I did a Frog RNZAF F4U-1 in an earlier GB, and Frog had the decals

totally on point colour wise

8d93a1cb-0b41-49b0-837d-0dc017025b7c.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Always nice to see an RNZAF aircraft - Just an FYI, WWII RNZAF aircraft

never wore Roundels on their wings with yellow surrounds.

Not sure why manufacturers keep printing these and in the that non existent

light blue too

If you decide on NZ4600, look forward to seeing your progress :)

I did a Frog RNZAF F4U-1 in an earlier GB, and Frog had the decals

totally on point colour wise

8d93a1cb-0b41-49b0-837d-0dc017025b7c.jpg

Regards

Alan

Looks good Alan! Love the US Gloss Sea Blue.

As for the roundels, I may have to source some accurate ones if i do choose to do this scheme.

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Doccur said:

As for the roundels, I may have to source some accurate ones if i do choose to do this scheme.

Hi Ash,

Hannants have some Ventura decals for an RNZAF PV-1 if you look to

go the RNZAF route.

Ventura RNZAF PV-1 decals

Regards

Alan

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Ash,

Hannants have some Ventura decals for an RNZAF PV-1 if you look to

go the RNZAF route.

Ventura RNZAF PV-1 decals

Regards

Alan

I'm wondering if those are an older printing of these decals, this set as advertised on Ventura's website has some additional roundels that would work better for the B-34, & as shown on the website the colour looks better too, though I'm not sure how reliable that is. Another consideration might be that the B-34 had nose glass rather like the RAF Venturas & so would take some work to replicate, so, much as I hate to suggest it, it would look good in the RAAF scheme as in the kit decals, someone on here did one in the last year or so, maybe @AdrianMF or @stevej60 or even someone else. :unsure:  I thought it looked pretty good, for an Aussie aircraft. ;) :D  I can't find the thread but here is a photo of an Academy PV.1 with the Frog decals'

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

I'm wondering if those are an older printing of these decals, this set as advertised on Ventura's website has some additional roundels that would work better for the B-34, & as shown on the website the colour looks better too, though I'm not sure how reliable that is. Another consideration might be that the B-34 had nose glass rather like the RAF Venturas & so would take some work to replicate, so, much as I hate to suggest it, it would look good in the RAAF scheme as in the kit decals, someone on here did one in the last year or so, maybe @AdrianMF or @stevej60 or even someone else. :unsure:  I thought it looked pretty good, for an Aussie aircraft. ;) :D  I can't find the thread but here is a photo of an Academy PV.1 with the Frog decals'

Steve.

Hi Ash,

I have a couple of sheets of Frog decs for the Ventura, and from the above it seems they should include RNZAF or RAAF markings  - I will check.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Ash,

As this is one of the relatively few kits on the Frog Cocardes site that is not actually reviewed, I had no idea what decs were provided, but as you can see they are French and Australian and in good nick. Should have guessed from your pic of the kit but have to admit I am wooly on the difference between RAAF and RNZAF markings.

ventdec

If you want them they are yours, just let me know.

Looking forward to the other build we have discussed.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Hi Ash

Great choice and one of the Twin engined bombers that everyone forgets about. Delighted to see it here, really looking forward to seeing you complete it, good luck.

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Another consideration might be that the B-34 had nose glass rather like the RAF Venturas & so would take some work to replicate 

Ah drat! Might have to reconsider my options... I might even be tempted to do the example with yellow and black stripes 🤨

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Ash,

As this is one of the relatively few kits on the Frog Cocardes site that is not actually reviewed, I had no idea what decs were provided, but as you can see they are French and Australian and in good nick. Should have guessed from your pic of the kit but have to admit I am wooly on the difference between RAAF and RNZAF markings.

ventdec

If you want them they are yours, just let me know.

Looking forward to the other build we have discussed.

Pete

Thanks very much @PeterB! I shall let you know :) 

If you need spare parts, you can always get an Academy Ventura. It is supposedly based of the FROG kit.

Back in the late 80's, I bought about a dozen different FROG decal sheets through a UK-based mail order business. One of those sheets is for the Ventura.

47954941986_21b453e912_b.jpg

Chris

• Thanks 1

Great to see this kit included within this GB along with a marvellous back story to go with it. There's nothing wrong with being a young'n and liking old kits as in some way it helps one appreciate the hobby and how far it has advanced since then. I don't really recall seeing too many Frog kits when I was young as they had already gone belly-up by the time I was seven. I do however, remember reading plenty of UK magazine advertisements and wishing I could get my hands on some of their extensive and exquisite back catalogue. Not that easy to do without the commodities we take for granted now. I hope you enjoy building this kit and taking part with all of us here. Your builds(s) will be watched from far and wide. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

@JOCKNEY

Hi Pat!

I have indeed! I am going to complete this as an aircraft of 145 squadron RCAF, based in Newfoundland. This will be in a colour scheme of intermediate blue over light gull grey. I am trying out the xtracolour range for this one so it will be a bit of an experiment. 

This is the specific aircraft I will Be modelling:

48152796992_e1a27f71ef_b.jpg

This one hasn’t even been touched yet as I focus my efforts on firstly the FD2 and then the anatra. Once the FD2 has been completed I will begin with this! I don’t want to make the mistake of having too many pots on the stove at the same time!

cheers

Ash

Edited by Doccur
  • Like 6

On 5/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, Doccur said:

This kit is interesting as it was never boxed and sold as a Frog kit before they went bust, the moulds were shipped out to Russia when this happened.

There was a bloke at a Model Club I was a member of in the 80's who reckoned he had the opportunity to buy a Frog Ventura at a Hobby Shop in Sydney in 1977.  

Next time I'm in Brisvegas if I catch up with him must ask him if he stands by his recollection!  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob S said:

There was a bloke at a Model Club I was a member of in the 80's who reckoned he had the opportunity to buy a Frog Ventura at a Hobby Shop in Sydney in 1977.  

Next time I'm in Brisvegas if I catch up with him must ask him if he stands by his recollection!  

As far as I’m aware, some boxes and test shots were produced. So it could be possible! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

@JOCKNEY

This one hasn’t even been touched yet as I focus my efforts on firstly the FD2 and then the anatra. Once the FD2 has been completed I will begin with this! I don’t want to make the mistake of having too many pots on the stove at the same time!

cheers

Ash

That's a good bit of advice, if only I listened to good advice! My take on it would be to get a bigger stove. 😁

I'm looking forward to seeing your builds though, especially the FD2

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...

And here we are, onto my last kit of the Group Build 😢

Need some opinions people. I’m torn between going with the scheme shown above (intermediate blue over light gull grey), or these two other options:

48542180996_4e9b8dfd12_b.jpg 48542348932_b8daceeef6_z.jpg

Decisions, decisions 🤦🏻‍♂️

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 4

Can't help you decide, but I prefer either option compared to the original one!

Everything looks good in TSS, but a schwartzgrun (sorry, foliage green) PV-1 would look very striking.

Decisions, decisions!

Regards - and welcome. 

Martin

• Like 2

Do you really need to know my answer? 

I'll send you a tin of Humbrol 149 if you don't have one!! 

Cheers.. Dave (who also thinks SF-V stands for Super Frog Ventura!). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 16/08/2019 at 14:45, Rabbit Leader said:

Do you really need to know my answer? 

I'll send you a tin of Humbrol 149 if you don't have one!! 

Cheers.. Dave (who also thinks SF-V stands for Super Frog Ventura!). 

I knew you’d chip in Dave! 

I think the people have spoken... pay day tomorrow do a trip to Hannants website for paint and a decal sheet is in order! On that note... would Humbrol 149 be your foliage green of choice? (I understand there is quite a debate surrounding the colour) 

Cheers,

Ash

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doccur said:

... would Humbrol 149 be your foliage green of choice?

That’s opening up Pandora’s box! I know DK decals themselves call out 149 however a number of people baulk at Humbrol paint. Foliage Green has been quoted as being similar to US Medium Green 42 or close matches to FS24092 & FS24096 (note 2 - Semi Gloss). Like most paints, I wouldn’t get too concerned as paints tend to fade quite easily in our harsh climate. I’m happy with Hu149 but I’d be committing a modelling crime if I were to say this is a definitive paint match. I approve your choice. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I approve your choice. 

Well if it is good enough for a native it’s good enough for me! 

Cheers again :)

Ash

• Like 2