ARA Satisima Trinidad

Might be old news but I was surprised to hear the Argentinians had successfully refloated this Type 42 Destroyer after she capsized in port and intend to turn her into a Falklands Museum. Meanwhile despite having a great many more ships, the UK has not preserved/dedicated a single vessel as a museum to honour our personnel who fought and Triumphed in the South Atlantic - sadly that just about says it all!!

Edited by Whitewolf
Error

11 hours ago, Stealthman said:

.............the UK has not preserved/dedicated a single vessel as a museum to honour our personnel who fought and Triumphed in the South Atlantic - sadly that just about says it all!!

Not exactly true,  both HMS Plymouth and HMSm Onyx were preserved together as a museum to the Falklands conflict.  Lack of public interest, in visitor numbers, meant a lack of income to maintain the venture and both went to scrap.

Mike

Sadly, they weren't National Museums either. Had they been National exhibits Moored at Plymouth or Portsmouth things could have been very different. The UK Government has no appetite whatsoever for preservation of a Falklands Naval vessel - shame on us.

With regards to the Santisima Trinidad it'll come down to how much needs to be spent to bring her back to a presentable condition. She was on her side for quite a while and apparently wasn't in the best of condition anyway, hence the capsize. Even if it's a continuing reminder that Argentina still regard the Falklands as unfinished business it's good (depending on her condition) that at least one Type 42 may survive for the near future.

As for the UK not preserving more large Naval (i.e. ship/submarine) assets I think we can agree that funding is the clincher. Even the Americans are now finding that maintaining their numerous preserved vessels is a very costly business, particularly if they're steel hulled. The battleship Texas and protected cruiser Olympia are prime examples of that.

Mike.

• Thanks 1

This topic seems to come up a lot, and the consistent theme is that posters tend to under-estimate the cost of preserving and keeping preserved an old warship.  I am a Falklands veteran (Fearless, in my case - and one of “our” LCVPs does survive - but though it sounds superficially attractive, preserving a Corporate-era ship was never a realistic proposition (in my opinion).  

It is going to cost the Argies an absolute BOMB to bring the ST back to anything remotely presentable as a museum; it’s expensive enough preserving a ship that is largely intact, and she was in a right state by all accounts and has since spent a long time under water.

I’ll be amazed if it comes to anything in the long run.

The cost of preservation should never be underestimated, but there also has to be an appetite to do it in the first place - something sadly lacking in the MOD/UK. A number of American vessels are maintained by volunteers. It also depends on where a vessel is moored. Texas location is far from ideal, but a Type 42 or similar at Portsmouth along with Warrior and Victory etc could be easily dry docked every so many years (like HMS Belfast) to ensure the Hull remains in very good condition with cosmetic work undertaken by volunteers or even apprentices. It could be done, but there has to be a will to do it. Mooring a Battleship in an inlet where it will steadily become surrounded by mud - which will rot the keel plates was never a good idea.....

• Thanks 1

Where there's a will, there's a way! $35,000,000 is being appropriated to move the USS Texas into a dry dock and replace a good portion of the hull. Its unlikely she'll return to her current location, but be moored elsewhere ( possibly Corpus Christi) with easier access to boost visitor numbers to help pay for her maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there 

Well regarding the Argentine Navy Type 42 destroyers I had read that they never were paid completely??? so I wonder to ask if some of you know more about it

Best modelling

Armando

Crickey all this talk about some old gash barge.

We can't afford to maintain and crew our current 'fleet' let alone a type 42 .Plus actually I would nottrust that hysterical dockyard with anything....so expensive the last time I went in was with a mate who worked with BAe and shes a noggy....reduced rate ....sod all for me and my 22!

Now Belfast middle of London good position and no doubt supported by the city ....different proposition and to a strawberry mivie looks like a battleship. Nuff said 

Edited by junglierating
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, junglierating said:

Now Belfast middle of London good position and no doubt supported by the city ....different proposition and to a strawberry mivie looks like a battleship. Nuff said 

Fully agree about Belfast.

Like it or not, London's a tourist magnet for anyone visiting the UK. The same applies to Edinburgh and even then there wasn't much enthusiasm for preserving the Type 42 of the same name even if a berth could have been found at Leith or nearby.

Although it does have to be said that Scotland's relationship with the Royal Navy's isn't particularly strong.

Mike.

7 hours ago, MikeR said:

Fully agree about Belfast.

Like it or not, London's a tourist magnet for anyone visiting the UK. The same applies to Edinburgh and even then there wasn't much enthusiasm for preserving the Type 42 of the same name even if a berth could have been found at Leith or nearby.

Although it does have to be said that Scotland's relationship with the Royal Navy's isn't particularly strong.

Mike.

Apart from the jobs at faslane🤔 cant quite believe that they couldn't find a berth in Leith...hmm what's that pub called hmmm ah the carriers.

Used to be strong 3 naval air stations in fact if you go up to lossie it's like we never left and that's from people who were born years after the navy left 

Strange world 

Meanwhile the rot set in when they closed Gannet....well thsts wot I says 😂

Edited by junglierating

• 2 weeks later...

Strangely enough perhaps the most famous Falklands sub veteran is moored a short distance in front of Courageous - namely her sistership HMS Conqueror!! Shame they didn't decide to preserve conx instead...  but I guess preserving the only nuclear powered submarine ever to fire a weapon in anger and actually sink a major surface warship wasn't worth considering? Or perhaps politics got in the way 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...