Blackburn Shark, Frog boxing. **** You'll not believe this, It's Finished ****

bigbadbadge

Hi all,

I spent some time this evening (finally able to do some modelling), tidying up the main struts for the wings and have noticed that one of the single struts that goes between the"N" struts is missing.  I have blown my modelling budget on an Airfix Walrus on a visit to the excellent Battle of Britain museum in Hawkinge so will have to wait to purchase another kit, therefore this will be put on the back burner for a while. I have put a trade request on the buy and sell threads just incase someone had one they want to trade. I know I made the lower fuselage to wing strut as that was missing but that was short and easily made this however is somewhat longer and finer and I will not be able to achieve a good result.

Sorry folks

All the best

Chris

• Sad 2

34 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all,

I spent some time this evening (finally able to do some modelling), tidying up the main struts for the wings and have noticed that one of the single struts that goes between the"N" struts is missing.  I have blown my modelling budget on an Airfix Walrus on a visit to the excellent Battle of Britain museum in Hawkinge so will have to wait to purchase another kit, therefore this will be put on the back burner for a while. I have put a trade request on the buy and sell threads just incase someone had one they want to trade. I know I made the lower fuselage to wing strut as that was missing but that was short and easily made this however is somewhat longer and finer and I will not be able to achieve a good result.

Sorry folks

All the best

Chris

Sorry to hear about your missing strut Chris. As you know I also had to make a strut for the lower wings, and used a slightly different approach using laminates of plastic strip. You could use this approach, I found it fairly straightforward. 

However, if you are planning a wheels version then there are two large struts, intended I think as spacers for the floats, which could be trimmed to fit rather than scratch building or using another kit. Another material suitable for struts is the wooden stirrers one now gets in coffee shops. It will need sanded to aerofoil shape but is the right thicknesss more or less for 1:72, and is easy to cut with a sharp craft knife. 

Your work on this Shark to date is great and it would be a shame to see it stall at this point. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No idea what shape this strut is but would contrail/aeroclub struts be any good - I have a couple of packs in various sizes.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, PeterB said:

No idea what shape this strut is but would contrail/aeroclub struts be any good - I have a couple of packs in various sizes.

Thanks Pete

I will have a look later hopefully to see what I have in the spares box. Thank you for your kind offer.

3 hours ago, English Electric said:

I have a spare one you can have if you like - kit that is

Hi EE 

Very tempting but it is a lovely kit and it would be a shame to take the strut from a good complete kit.  I thank you for such a kind offer. I couldn't take it off your hands without some sort of recompense.  If I can check tonight to see what I can see in my spares box and see what I have as I may be able to put something together.

Thanks guys for the support and offers, with such great positive vibes, I will carry on with it. I was a bit fed up last night when I posted so apologies for that.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 3

I have had a look at possible solutions and have cut down one of the spare struts from the floats and now have a second strut needed. I have made a new windscreen out of some clear packaging and added the forward machine gun. Not quite sure about setting the correct position for the centre section of the top wing at the moment though. 

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 2

Hi all

Just to prove I have not given up I have used my Jig and have set the Shark level in the jig and made a simple cardboard Jig to allow the centre top wing section to rest against when mounting the struts to get them in the right place.  The top wing can then be glued together and rigging points drilled etc.  Hopefully this should work, fingers crossed.

dbbcecca-ba7e-4b94-a380-10561c2f61c3.jpg

ec580106-32b1-437f-8552-3277b66643cf.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best

Chris

• Like 9

I'm enjoying watching this, though that top wing seem scary for everyone who does one. I've just bought a Smer boxing of one of these, even though I have an Eastern Express one, I felt I should do a FAA one to go with the camo'd RAF one the EE one is earmarked for.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm enjoying watching this, though that top wing seem scary for everyone who does one. I've just bought a Smer boxing of one of these, even though I have an Eastern Express one, I felt I should do a FAA one to go with the camo'd RAF one the EE one is earmarked for.

Steve.

9 hours ago, stevej60 said:

That's one hell of a jig Chris,glad this one is progressing so well.

8 hours ago, zebra said:

Great progress Chris. Good luck with the top wing - with that jig you should be fine. Looking forward to seeing this one in the gallery.

Thanks guys. Steve is the Smer kit improved in any way as the interplane struts are a bit of a so and so to line up even with the jig.

I am going to have to glue the whole top wing together and put some wing struts in too just to try and get it all lined up.  Will see how this works out.

Thanks again (am back at work now having a vape so have had a sneaky look in)

All the best

Chris

Chris, I've been mulling over an idea that I've read of but not tried out. I can see difficulties with the 3 piece nature of the top wing of this kit but in essence, with any biplane kit, cut a piece of clear plastic to the shape of the top wing, approximately, then offer it to the underside of the top wing & clamp or tape it into place so it can't shift, accurately mark the strut locations on the clear plastic, detach it from the top wing & make strut end sized holes where the marks are. This then becomes a jig to position the top of the struts. Glue the struts in place into bottom wing with the clear plastic jig holding the tops in the correct position. leave the jig there till the struts dry at least to firmness. In the case of the  Shark, maybe test fit & adjust the wing portions so your know they're going to fit fairly accurately before marking the jig & then when the struts are firmish in place offer the top wing to them, if the glue on the struts & wing aren't set too hard, it should be possible adjust things slightly as you go, ie strut location & wing profile/camber/head on shape, call it what you like. I know this doesn't take into account dodgy strut length which by the sound of it can be a problem on this kit. Reading other builds might help. Sorry if that sounds over complicated, without having the kit to hand its hard for me to visualise better than that. Good luck. I don't imagine the Smer kit is in any way improved over the Frog/Novo/EE or any of the repops.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Chris, I've been mulling over an idea that I've read of but not tried out. I can see difficulties with the 3 piece nature of the top wing of this kit but in essence, with any biplane kit, cut a piece of clear plastic to the shape of the top wing, approximately, then offer it to the underside of the top wing & clamp or tape it into place so it can't shift, accurately mark the strut locations on the clear plastic, detach it from the top wing & make strut end sized holes where the marks are. This then becomes a jig to position the top of the struts. Glue the struts in place into bottom wing with the clear plastic jig holding the tops in the correct position. leave the jig there till the struts dry at least to firmness. In the case of the  Shark, maybe test fit & adjust the wing portions so your know they're going to fit fairly accurately before marking the jig & then when the struts are firmish in place offer the top wing to them, if the glue on the struts & wing aren't set too hard, it should be possible adjust things slightly as you go, ie strut location & wing profile/camber/head on shape, call it what you like. I know this doesn't take into account dodgy strut length which by the sound of it can be a problem on this kit. Reading other builds might help. Sorry if that sounds over complicated, without having the kit to hand its hard for me to visualise better than that. Good luck. I don't imagine the Smer kit is in any way improved over the Frog/Novo/EE or any of the repops.

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the suggestion, it is a very good idea , I have seen it before and had not crossed my mind I must admit. There is a drawback in that the under surface is quite curved, but very worthy of consideration. On the way home from work I was thinking about this and thought it might be worth joining the top wing and using the jig add the inner wing N struts along with the single brace as this should set a position either side and hopefully this will line up with the two front interplane struts, once that is done the rear interplane struts can be offered up followed by the outer wing struts. I am hoping that this will work and may allow for some alterations to the rear interplane struts. Fingers and toes crossed!!!

All the best

Chris

• Like 3

Have to agree, that is one almighty jig and the Shark kit is looking so lovely, it really does. I cannot wait to see this one done, however please don't rush, it deserves your full attention. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Have to agree, that is one almighty jig and the Shark kit is looking so lovely, it really does. I cannot wait to see this one done, however please don't rush, it deserves your full attention. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, I managed last night to get the inner wing struts in place last night after gluing the top wing sections together and so now I'm ready to drill out some rigging holes and paint the struts . Although I am not sure how much i will be able to do. I have been working late each night This week, but when I get home I will hopefully be able to do a bit.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 4

Hi all

Wahoo finally getting somewhere with this one.  After not very successful attempts with the cardboard jig as previously shown I thought I would set the inner wing struts in place as they have the single Brace struts going to the bas of the outer wing struts.  so I joined the Top wing sections and took away the interplane struts from the fuselage and set the wing struts this locates the wing positively (although a lot of clean up of each strut was required and I also enlarged all the holes that receive struts).  This worked and so I was able to tape down the top wing and then set the interplane struts again.  I had to take off some of the locating pips of the strut tops and file the tops to sit in the right place against the top wing. but I have success.

5ca0f96e-1beb-4b90-9d14-c6a0f47ee05f.jpg

8c247c06-dcd6-4ef0-81f9-ba2d77e663e0.jpg

a926317f-c85a-4dbb-87a6-3d1efb43efb7.jpg

04cc8d0a-9a4a-48cb-90a1-44dd652e6de8.jpg

1f06356e-67f5-432c-b4d8-1d8a0cbb7450.jpg

Please see above as some pips removed from 3 of the strut tops from the interplane struts .  I also have to make up the bottom of the single brace strut on the starboard side as mine was missing so this is one of the struts for the floats.

aa73d355-a47f-4ed5-9544-3e11562bc631.jpg

Undercarriage legs/struts and braces in place

0a8af15f-aeda-483c-8694-9c06cb67803c.jpg

Getting there now.

I hope this may help the others building this kit although I imagine you are probably more accomplished modeller than me so will probably not need it.

Thanks for looking in

All the best
Chris

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Chris, you appear to have convincingly beaten it into submission. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve, yes got over my gitters and worked through it.  Glad to have got that bit done.  Will hopefully get the struts painted later.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Just caught up with your build Chris, great modelling and excellent finish. Another confession (I keep doing this) but another super looking plane I'd never heard of. FROG made some very interesting aircraft. And a very nice camo scheme and markings. But the build (wings, struts) does look scary! I think I'll stick to monoplanes. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Great stuff Chris. I've started slowly on my Shark again but still a bit behind you. Without a proper jig I'll be relying on card spacers and a strut by strut approach. No photos yet but will have some once there's more progress. I take it once all the struts are in place the wings are a lot more stable. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Johnson said:

Just caught up with your build Chris, great modelling and excellent finish. Another confession (I keep doing this) but another super looking plane I'd never heard of. FROG made some very interesting aircraft. And a very nice camo scheme and markings. But the build (wings, struts) does look scary! I think I'll stick to monoplanes. Keep up the great work.

Cheers,

Thanks Johnson very kind of you. Biplanes need not be scary. Look at the lovely Airfix kits such as the Tigermoth, Gladiator, Swordfish etc as all the struts are either set or there is a jig such as on the BE2c.  Give one a go and you will be well chuffed with what you can achieve.

6 hours ago, 825 said:

Great stuff Chris. I've started slowly on my Shark again but still a bit behind you. Without a proper jig I'll be relying on card spacers and a strut by strut approach. No photos yet but will have some once there's more progress. I take it once all the struts are in place the wings are a lot more stable. 

Thanks 825 glad you are getting there. Yes the inner wing struts and brace to the outer struts are able to be put in place first and as such  set the location of the wing , then the interplane struts could be set. If you set the inner wing struts you could then use elastic bands to hold the top wing in place whilst you set the interplane struts.

Keep up the good work

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 5