Blackburn Shark, Frog boxing. **** You'll not believe this, It's Finished ****

bigbadbadge

40 minutes ago, dad's lad said:

Looking fantastic, what colour did you use for the grey?

Thank you, the colour is Humbrol 129  I used it as it is called out on the Airfix Swordfish which will sit nicely with this on the shelf one day.

All the best

Chris

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thank you, the colour is Humbrol 129  I used it as it is called out on the Airfix Swordfish which will sit nicely with this on the shelf one day.

All the best

Chris

Great, I'll make a note for my Shark when I get around to it.

• Like 1

It’s looking great! I mixed up a special colour for the Cerrux grey on mine and later found out it was pretty much Identical to Hu 129!

I don’t know what your decals are like for the white number but on my Modelcraft repop build I decided not to use them and used white Letraset instead because the numbers were taller and narrower. Later I realised that the Xtradecal post-war white letters and numbers would have been perfect for the font, but I’m not going to replace them through folded wings!

Looking forward to the struts! :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s looking great! I mixed up a special colour for the Cerrux grey on mine and later found out it was pretty much Identical to Hu 129!

I don’t know what your decals are like for the white number but on my Modelcraft repop build I decided not to use them and used white Letraset instead because the numbers were taller and narrower. Later I realised that the Xtradecal post-war white letters and numbers would have been perfect for the font, but I’m not going to replace them through folded wings!

Looking forward to the struts! :wicked:

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, the struts, I'm not. Will have to see how they fit and perhaps may have to get the Lego out.

The decals look okay although there's a bit of a brown colour on one set of numbers, but if they go on okay I will be able to paint over them hopefully.

All the best

Chris

No problem,

I think Tony has some and I certainly have 3 sets, though I will need to keep one back for my anonymous Russian bagged version.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Get different Decals Chris.

I recently used an incomplete Shark set for a Hawker Henley and they worked a treat !

Hi Pat

I have PM'd Pete .

That's interesting how some are great and some not so. I was very disappointed in my set especially after seeing others were not having issues. Oh well.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

Try the Klear method Chris, its pinned in decals under tools & tips (I think), no problem then with decals not sticking or silvering. See link below.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Steve,

I tried the Klear method on my Fokker DXXI, but found it did not give me much time to position the decs, and being a messy worker I ended up with them sticking to my fingers and breaking up! I am sure it will work in many cases but I am too clumsy to use it or so it seems. Mind you the decs in question were modern ultra thin and fragile ones, so old kit ones, being almost as thick as "lino" might have a better chance of survival.

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, PeterB said:

I tried the Klear method on my Fokker DXXI, but found it did not give me much time to position the decs,

Did you dilute the Klear a bit @Peter B?  I dilute approx 30-40 percent by volume which makes the handling much easier & gives a lot more time to position the decals, then the corner of some tissue to wick excess fluid away, a q-tip to roll the decal onto the surface or as I like a finger with some tissue over it to press the decal down. if it shifts during any of this, work an edge up with a small brush & flood some more dilute fluid under it, ie work, flood, work flood, till you can reposition the decal. Once you're happy its in the right place & wicked the excess away with your tissue, kitchen roll towel etc, let it settle for a bit & it is less likely to shift.

I've linked to the pinned thread in my post a couple above this.

Steve.

Edited by stevehnz
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 7/24/2019 at 11:13 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Get different Decals Chris.

I recently used an incomplete Shark set for a Hawker Henley and they worked a treat !

Hi all.

I contacted PeterB and he has very kindly sent me a set of replacement decals. Wow they arrived very quickly indeed. Thanks Pete you are a star.

On 7/25/2019 at 12:27 PM, stevehnz said:

Try the Klear method Chris, its pinned in decals under tools & tips (I think), no problem then with decals not sticking or silvering. See link below.

Steve.

Thanks Steve I will have a go at this as well to see how I get on.  Fingers crossed!!!

I'm off to have a practice

Thanks and all the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Progress Report

A big thank you to @Peter B for the decals and a big thank you to @stevehnz for the info on the klear decalling method. I have tried it out with thinned Klear and it worked a treat. All lower wing and fuselage on and Klear coated as well. This is big may revolutionary for me as before that would have taken 2 sessions but I have done it in one and the use of just one Klear coat is fantastic too. 

A very big thank you to you both

All the best

Chris (now decalling a 48th scale Early Magister).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all

I have made a bit more progress on the Shark .  A big thank you has to go to @Peter B who generously supplied a set of replacement decals which worked a treat.  Also thanks to @stevehnz for showing the Klear method of decaling which worked well and meant I decalled and sealed the model in one session instead of two.  I also decalled the Magister I am building and so just for @AdrianMF here are a couple of picks of the Magister.

It is a 48th scale Special Hobby kit and I have enjoyed building. It is brush painted with six yes six coats of humbrol 24 and the engine cowling is painted with Humbrol metal coat 27002 and polished and coated in Klear.

8f51d937-900c-437a-9a96-f893d934c2bd.jpg

0a3ee317-f99f-4a94-82f1-9586c1e2d93d.jpg

Anyway back to the Shark

92240ada-0a8a-427a-9fff-56032751dfb2.jpg

049ff9c8-e65a-4570-9a58-f09cd3e38680.jpg

db37c11b-fd31-4dde-b095-2e30ce400300.jpg

The decal on the rudder was the only ones that stuck from the original set and I could not scrape off so will paint around the characters with some aluminium paint.

Hopefully will get the last bits in the cockpit before looking at the top wing.

Thanks for looking in

All the best
Chris

• Like 8