Blackburn Shark, Frog boxing. **** You'll not believe this, It's Finished ****

bigbadbadge

Hi all

I will be doing the above. I have camera problems as mine has just stopped working. I have begged and borrowed another camera and once I figure that out I can upload some pictures. I will start with the Shark and would like to be able to do a Vickers Vimy afterwards but my track record of finishing builds for GBs is not that great !!!

I am still doing the house too. 

Right that's the excuses out the way.

I will build one with wheels and wings of course.

All the best

Chris

Edited by bigbadbadge
  • Like 6

Welcome aboard the Frog GB express Chris, it's certainly starting to take off and we are still a few days away from kick off! 

Please get your camera fixed asap, I'm hanging to see the original Frog parts as this is another one of those kits I once had, then sold and know (frustratingly) would like to possess again. 

Cheers and I hope you enjoy the show.. Dave 

• Like 2

Thanks Guys

I have borrowed another Fuji camera as I could not get used to the other one I borrowed and have taken the obligatory shots.  I apologise for quality problems as I took some in good light with an old Pentax digital camera, then took my car (an old classic) out for a quick spin to enjoy a bit of Sunshine and drop a bit of metal sheet to a mate and then uploaded when I got back.  I was not happy with the images so dug out a borrowed Fuji and took these. 

f7cadbaa-fd4a-417a-ba1c-043838104b89.JPG

I bought the kit quite some time ago off Ebay I think and it was missing one float, I donated the other to someone who put out a wanted add for one but, the rest seems to be there. I was lucky enough to get a replacement engine and prop from Aeroclub. 

d2d3ea8f-a230-4756-9753-0e94a3b50380.JPG

454b4c3e-cf09-4384-a2fb-e29909192dfd.JPG

I have been looking forward to this one and can't wait until the start date although I am sill working on the house and finishing a rather lovely Special Hobby Firefly T2 trainer.  This is very nearly finished though, I will have to hold off with a Mk V trainer that I will be building for a while.

Thanks for looking in.

All the best
Chris

• Like 6

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Chris, A quick  thank you, before I go to work.

All the best

Chris

Ooh! Work! That's one of those 4-lettered words. I didn't think vulgar language like that was allowed on the forum. I'm retired, you know!

Chris

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Ooh! Work! That's one of those 4-lettered words. I didn't think vulgar language like that was allowed on the forum. I'm retired, you know!

Chris

You lucky thing, the way we are going the retirement date is getting further away !!!

• Like 4

Hi all

Done a little bit so far although I have been working on the house also this weekend, so not completed much. 

Firstly a look at the lovely Aeroclub bits.  They look very nice indeed.  I was thinking about removing the pushrods and adding them as separate items as the rear bank of cylinders have the pushrods going down into the crankcase directly in front of them instead of just behind the gearbox, but I think this may be a step too far for the build although I will have a think about this.  I can add the engine later as it mounts to the Aeroclub exhaust collector ring which is a cracking fit mounted on the front of the fuselage.

393f7522-7378-4e88-a4d1-bdcfa00140df.jpg

I have bent the Exhaust headers to the correct (ish) angle ready for the Kit exhausts and cut the exhausts to fit. 

38257fc9-11fc-414f-91a9-0c75d9cba5b4.jpg

40723fe4-ded1-4e89-8e4b-6c9b7855163a.jpg

Engine cowling cleaned out of the engine mounting flange and fuselage mount . It got a bit hot and a couple of areas sunk in a fraction .

6a3a6e11-d565-48a5-8d90-d6f12b159c00.jpg

Engine was just slightly too big so have reduced it's overall diameter by filing down the valve casings at the top of each cylinder head and now it fits perfectly.

01d27b00-267e-4446-8644-337e5af7c858.jpg

I am tring something I did to the very lovely Monogram 48th scale Harvard , that is chiselling the raised panel lines off leaving the rivet details  I will see how this works, the lower fuselage half below has had the panel lines removed apart from the inspection panels.  The chisel is a ground down watchmakers screwdriver which works quite well. Apologies but I had to take these images with my phone as the borrowed camera did not want to work on closeups last night.

9f19812e-9538-47fa-87c5-e4290844b9ee.jpg

5ce123de-d584-4f03-85d0-9676a5d84250.jpg

Believe it or not this shows the Panel lines after they had been rescribed !!! Apologies but this is the camera issue again honest.  I have used an Olfa P cutter as the pin in a vice and Dymo tape did not work due to the rivets not allowing it to stick.  There are a couple of repairs to do but otherwise it turned out okay.

9f858d74-e375-4171-a4ad-ac9b593c32be.jpg

Thanks for looking

All the best
Chris

• Like 8

That is coming along nicely Chris, I admire your dedication in chiseling off the raised lines & rescribing, my solution when I attack mine one of these days years will be to give it a scuffing with some worn fine wet & dry to leave a not so obvious remnant of the raised detail. I'll be watching closely to see what other pitfalls there may be. 

Steve.

• Thanks 1

That's an impressive start Chris. It'll be good to see all that metal and reworking of plastic parts on show here. Keep going, she'll be a treat once finished. 

Cheers..  Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is coming along nicely Chris, I admire your dedication in chiseling off the raised lines & rescribing, my solution when I attack mine one of these days years will be to give it a scuffing with some worn fine wet & dry to leave a not so obvious remnant of the raised detail. I'll be watching closely to see what other pitfalls there may be. 

Steve.

Hi Steve

Thanks for your kind comments. I may also reduce the rivet size yet or may have to scrub it all off yet, but first wanted to try and preserve the lovely details that frog lovingly created. Fingers crossed fella. The fit of the kit so far is very good too.

15 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looking great so far! I will be following this.

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian very kind words. Although I doubt I will be able to produce such a masterpiece as you did. Your build of the Shark is very inspirational.

13 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's an impressive start Chris. It'll be good to see all that metal and reworking of plastic parts on show here. Keep going, she'll be a treat once finished. 

Cheers..  Dave 

Thanks Dave, I have everything crossed that it turns out okay!!!

Thanks again

All the best

Chris

• Like 3

I built the outer wings as independent units with all the “N” struttery, and then tried to to join them onto the lower stubs. The two sides were slightly out of whack with each other and the stubs weren’t quite aligned either. It sat around for a looong time after I found that out.

Second time around I think I’d build the lower wing completely and get that all shipshape, then add and align the front “N” struts before assembling the top wing so it fits symmetrically.

Sorry to blather on but I’m still a bit annoyed with myself about it!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I built the outer wings as independent units with all the “N” struttery, and then tried to to join them onto the lower stubs. The two sides were slightly out of whack with each other and the stubs weren’t quite aligned either. It sat around for a looong time after I found that out.

Second time around I think I’d build the lower wing completely and get that all shipshape, then add and align the front “N” struts before assembling the top wing so it fits symmetrically.

Sorry to blather on but I’m still a bit annoyed with myself about it!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian for your advice. That's very helpful, I was wondering whether to build up the wings beforehand but now will do traditionally.

Thank you

All the best

Chris

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Well Chris, with the way you are tackling the Shark, I can see no reason why you shouldn't move on to The Vimy when this ones finished :whistle:

Lol, thanks Pat, I may have been over optimistic about the Vimy although if I finish the Shark, I may well be tempted to start it although a SH  Firefly T5 conversion is calling to me from the stash too !!!

18 hours ago, John said:

This is a kit that I've never actually seen inside the box of. It's an impressive big beastie. 

John 

Hi John

It is quite an impressive model, there's a lot of plastic in that box. So far the fit is excellent too.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 1

Hi all

Rescribed the starboard fuselage side , this came out a lot better than the Port side. 

cc6f7942-c647-47db-a417-08e17d978875.jpg

I am not confident in rescribing the inspection panels so I replaced them wit plasticard ones which also adds some relief top the fuselage sides. 

a7c53c77-6872-42d3-8497-ba9d1004b19f.jpg

The good thing about the raised detail is I could put a sticker over the area and rub over it with a pencil as per the image below

6942aa6e-fa6f-47ab-ad26-3d7eed43893c.jpg

Et Voila, one side done

0790c245-999a-4e45-85c1-a8aaac30e696.jpg

Will do some tidying up and the last panel on the starboard side and then can look at the cockpit.

All the best
Chris

• Like 8

There’s a lot of similarities with my modelling here Chris. One side of my models, whether it be scribing, paint or otherwise always looks better than the other and I’ve used the raised card approach to get away with scribing hatches etc. 

This is looking great and I’m enjoying your progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There’s a lot of similarities with my modelling here Chris. One side of my models, whether it be scribing, paint or otherwise always looks better than the other and I’ve used the raised card approach to get away with scribing hatches etc. 

This is looking great and I’m enjoying your progress. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, I think it might be practice or lack of on my part, I should have practiced on an old kit !!! Adding the plasticard is definitely easier than rescribing the inspection panels, especially as I don't have any suitable templates. I have finished the fuselage halves tonight and have now started the cockpit, by remaking the floors out of very thin plasticard to lower the floor level a bit. Will have to see how it turns out.

Thanks and all the best

Chris

• Like 4

Whilst I am tempted to try that approach for the numerous hatches on my Shackleton, I think plain plastic would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb given the mass of rivets. Enjoying your build.

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Whilst I am tempted to try that approach for the numerous hatches on my Shackleton, I think plain plastic would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb given the mass of rivets. Enjoying your build.

Pete

Thanks Pete, crikey they certainly would and you would have a few more to do than this little critter compared to the Shackleton.

I have managed to scratch build the instrument panel tonight which I am quite pleased with.

All the best

Chris

• Like 3