Mirage IV Prototype

Mike N

I really fancy doing a Mirage IV in 1/72, but in prototype form. The Wikipedia blurb suggests that there were structural changes between the prototype and production versions: the fin change looks obvious, but there was also an increase in wing area (from 62m2 to 77.9m2).

I see Model Art do a decal sheet for prototype 01. Can anyone shed any light on how much work it is to modify the A&A kit to represent this? I have no references on the Mirage IV and I'm struggling to find much online. If anyone can recommend a suitable book that covers the prototypes that would be great too!

Mike

42 minutes ago, BritJet said:

Nice find. Trying to match photos to the drawing is difficult, but some features certainly suggest it could be. If it is, and the drawing is accurate, it looks like quite a lot of work - virtually everything is different!

Mike

Heller did a 1/50 of the 01 prototype back in the mists of time.  That would probably show you the mods needed in 1/72.

Also, there's at least one pic of her with an enormous fin but I don't know if she ever flew with that.

David

• Thanks 1

Hello Mike,

Dassault has a very nice web page on Mirage IV. The beautiful colour photo of the prototype makes me think that there weren't great differences between the first one and later aircraft. The tip of the fin was different at least for a short while but otherwise...

https://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/passion/aircraft/military-dassault-aircraft/mirage-iv/

What a beautiful aircraft! I have two (Heller 1/48 scale) in my collection.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Thanks 1

On 5/27/2019 at 3:13 PM, Mike N said:

Nice find. Trying to match photos to the drawing is difficult, but some features certainly suggest it could be. If it is, and the drawing is accurate, it looks like quite a lot of work - virtually everything is different!

Mike

The upper profile and plans in the drawing linked above do indeed appear to be the prototype - the most notable difference to my eye is in the depth of the forward fuselage relative to the cockpit.

The shape and location of the vertical fin is also somewhat different, but it seems like that's actually closer than the forward fuselage or the wing (similarly shaped overall but smaller).  On a quick google I ran across the photo linked below which presumably shows the larger fin mentioned by Mr. Womby.  Given the smaller fin's similarity to the production configuration, it's a reasonable inference that the taller tail came first (whether or not it ever flew).

https://previews.agefotostock.com/previewimage/medibigoff/cb2174c828ac8f6c34054b9655b565a3/mev-10846892.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1