Unintentional Revell Colonial Viper Mk.II

On 5/27/2019 at 7:54 PM, ProfSparks said:

Having never seen Battlestar Galactica (and will never again watch a 'modern' Star Wars [don't get me started with Disney]), is there anything I should be aware of when building this?

Off now to binge watch Pink Panther with Peter Sellers and a bottle of robust Red

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

The BSG reboot is well worth a watch, infinitely better than the dross Disney are pooping out these days.

The kit's lovely, but I had a nightmare with the decals. The Viper was a Christmas gift for a friend. I started late and had some airbrush troubles, so mine was a really basic, out of the box build. I didn't have time to really do it justice, but the model really flattered the job I did. I enjoyed it so much I went on to building a Revel Galactica to go with it! :D

Linky: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235014680-revell-viper-mk-ii-its-christmas/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

I got the engines and whatnots sprayed in, and started on the decals

DSCF8216.jpg

The decals themselves are thin, in register, with minimal carrier film, and need quite a bit of post application application of your solvent of choice

DSCF8218.jpg

There's six bits on there, each surface having its own piece, and getting them to overlap discretely takes a bit of lifting and flopping.

I'm not disheartened by the wrinkling, once they're all on and dry I'm going to soak them in DACO strong. It's quite an aggressive setter, much more than Micro Sol and sometimes it can alter the decal, but a ragged look is what I'm aiming towards.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

On 6/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, DalekCheese said:

I quite enjoy it. But that’s just my opinion.

Disney? Fair enough, mileage varies. I detest the Empire of the Mouse and their highly politicised brand of storytelling, but if it's your thing that's fine. They're pushing out plenty of sci fi models for us, so I'm benefiting as much as anyone else. Maybe I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth? 😉

• Haha 2

Well, they’re not as good as the OT, but there you go. TLJ was too political, but still worth the ticket price. The “anthology” films have been great so far, though.

• Like 1

Hi All

*begin soliloquy*

I guess for me the demise of Star Wars came long ago (in a galaxy far, far away) with the release of the first prequel, Episode I.

The distinct lack of story/plot/screenplay/involvement with the characters rang warning bells.

Perhaps it was because I'd grown up with the original gang, and they were a deeply rooted part of my imagination, that I just felt completely unmoved by these interlopers.

After that, I began to feel further distanced by each release, as if they were trying in vain to insert these new adventures into the psyche of a new generation.

It seems to me that (spoiler alert) at the end of TLJ when the urchin sweeping 'calls' the broom into his hand, the whole premise is going to hang on children being the central focus of The Force.

Best part of that film for me? The couple of seconds of quiet B&W as their ship ploughed through the dreadnoughts' wing. Beautiful.

The worst part (well, one of them)? Those grotesque, gratuitous Porgs. Pure merch gold.

There will probably be a spin-off about how Yoda grew up being bullied and learned to control himself and etc etc.

I bet they lose the 'Wars' part soon too.

*end soliloquy*

Anyhoo, a couple of sessions throwing decals and DACO strong at it

DSCF8223.jpg

DSCF8224.jpg

Rough as a Badgers A*se, but that's what I'm after!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Well...

the prequels were abominable. The OT were the best. The sequels have been good so far, but nothing great. Just 90 mins of entertainment. The anthologies, however have been really very good.

but that model looks amazing.

• Thanks 1

Hi All

Sorry for the previous bemoaning, not even this subject!

Anyhoo, back on topic, here she is on her legs with her engines in.

It's all just clipped together, good fit all round!

DSCF8248.jpg

DSCF8250.jpg

DSCF8251.jpg

DSCF8252.jpg

DSCF8253.jpg

These are mainly so I know what she looked like before I messed her up, they may be the last you see of her!

My intention is to treat all those wrinkles, cracks, gaps, snots and blegs as surface damage, and scrape away some of the decals and paint.

I'll then haphazardly peruse YouTube for interesting weathering techniques and try them out.

Cheers

Steve

Edited by ProfSparks
Image disappearence...
  • Like 5

Hi All

Not much time in The Lab of late due to work, but here's what I've been up to

Holes scraped on the surface with a variety of implements (this wing's a pointy blade)

DSCF8289.jpg

Dabbed on some Vallejo Air 71.062 Aluminium

DSCF8290.jpg

Brushed on some Black Florry Wash

DSCF8291.jpg

This is a broken metalwork file

DSCF8292.jpg

A curved blade edge

DSCF8294.jpg

The small rounded point of a nail file

DSCF8295.jpg

And a coarse nail buffer board

DSCF8296.jpg

I've still to do the upper fin and topside surface of the nose, then try to find a way to bring it all together as it looks like the result of muggings by the Brady Bunch.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

She's got legs...

DSCF8344.jpg

DSCF8345.jpg

The front one just goes straight into its' cavity, the rear ones wiggle through the outer openings and click satisfyingly into their locating positions (took a little while to figure out how this works as a) the instructions weren't that clear, and b) I wasn't following them anyway...)

DSCF8346.jpg

I removed the masking tape from the canopy too

DSCF8347.jpg

DSCF8350.jpg

You can see a slight residue left from the generic DIY tape, but that's OK because a pristine surface would look odd on the heavily scarred and pitted body, so that's fine, you can still see in.

That IP display is still shiny though ^_^

Next up just the bits'n'bobs and engines.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4