Unintentional Revell Colonial Viper Mk.II

*nervous cough, room falls silent, all heads turn towards me, door closes behind me with a with a soft thud*

Hi All

*conversation resumes, general air of "hey, whatever, welcome, we're all good with you here"*

Breathing out, I move cautiously to a vacant table and carefully upload my recently started project.

So I found this while looking for something to build while I'm waiting for other things

DSCF8027.jpg

It's not my scale or subject, but it looked to have a low parts count and minimal masking!

I've assembled the wings and legs etc, just about to start on the cockpit

DSCF8028.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 15

5 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

Steve..

COOL. Looking forward to your Colonial Viper.... make your WIP intentional now.. 

Get going. 

:wicked:

Er, ok, I thought this was the outer echelon where you could go and build and drift around without meaning to disturb anyone? 

I've had a couple of dry fits with this (nothing serious, but I hope the meds don't wear off) and there seems to be an alternative sequence of construction that I hope to forge. 

It's only fantasy! 

Cheers

Steve 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HOUSTON said:

:rofl2:

Still look8ng forward to updates!

Just cuz you entered the Dark side means you  cannot get away with being A Drifter.

:wicked:

Houston is right Professor, it might start with a little simple kit (and yes there is one in the stash), but before long you will cave in and get a Bandai Star Wars kit; after that there is just no going back...

i watch your thread with interest - welcome to the sci-fi ‘bit’!🖖

• Like 2

Well, as I had the cockpit parts snipped off, I tried them together

DSCF8029.jpg

DSCF8030.jpg

DSCF8031.jpg

They go together well, that screen shaped hole in the IP is for a clear part (that I have momentarily misplaced)

Fits in the fuselage ok too

DSCF8032.jpg

Two pegs into locating holes

DSCF8033.jpg

Simples

DSCF8034.jpg

DSCF8035.jpg

I'm going to do it legs down, pilot out, so there'll be a control stick in the hole.

Having never seen Battlestar Galactica (and will never again watch a 'modern' Star Wars [don't get me started with Disney]), is there anything I should be aware of when building this?

Off now to binge watch Pink Panther with Peter Sellers and a bottle of robust Red

Cheers

Steve

• Like 7

Suggestions yes - let the red breathe first.  As for the kit, looking at a few of the other builds do not be surprised to have to spend a bit of time smoothing seams on the top of the front fuse. 

The remake is is actually VERY good and this is from someone who grew up watching the original battle star galactica when it was first on.  Worth a try. Your have a choice of either museum piece or HEAVILY weathered for the MkII Viper; you saw both in the series.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Welcome to sci fi. The anti rivet counter section. 

We have Cookies, but the milk may be slightly off.

Nah, it's just that it comes from a rarely-encountered species not native to this planet. It's a bit of an acquired taste... 😉

• Haha 2

I think I build this one way back when I was still wearing shorts and shaving was something your dad did.

Didn't bother to slap paint on it, I will follow how it could have been done with a bit more effort and who knows I may be tempted to find one and revisit it.

Loved the series when I was a kid but bitterly disappointed when I saw it again, maybe I am getting old 😉

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DalekCheese said:

I did. I reckon everyone else will too...

Eventually.......He,he, 😎 

Nice start on a great kit by the way sir, I always enjoy sitting back with a cold one watching a Viper MK II or VII coming together. Cheers.   

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Steve.

way to go!

keep on Rocking with this COOL project. AWESOME workmanship  of Fuselage and cockpit.

the DARK side suits you!  :wicked:

pretty FLAWLESS ... and mighty IMPRESSIVE. 

KUDOS...

:mike:

• Thanks 1

Hi All

On 5/27/2019 at 10:21 PM, The Chief Smeg said:

Suggestions yes - let the red breathe first.

WAY ahead of you there Chief!

Probably why build rate has slowed of late...

Anyhoo, I got a base coat of nondescript grey on the tub, going to overcoat it with the cockpit colour of a slightly blue grey then wear it off

DSCF8039.jpg

There's a small amount of raised detail, hope the decals conform!

I'm fiddling with the build sequence a bit as I don't trust Revell on this one, findings when I'm nearly sure.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Hi All

Ok, so I'm with Revell up to getting the fuselage halves together

DSCF8047.jpg

Gaps and seams all over, but nothing out of place

DSCF8048.jpg

The main structure is like one of those puzzles that everything is loose until the final piece.

Big tabs on the wing roots are part of this

DSCF8049.jpg

They slot in the forward engine housings and fit against little supports.

Not going to glue them yet though

DSCF8051.jpg

The rear engine / upper engine ducting is only glued where the engine halves join

DSCF8052.jpg

And the tail fin slotted between them, still unglued

DSCF8053.jpg

As it needs to expand slightly to slide over the top of the body, still unglued

DSCF8057.jpg

DSCF8054.jpg

It's now all still slightly wobbly, but here's the key.

The lower plate can now be squared off on the forward fuselage (covering some, but not all) of that beautiful seam

DSCF8055.jpg

This is where there is some nifty fitting

DSCF8056.jpg

Pegs on the bottom plate locate those big lugs on the wings, and the whole thing can now be glued up taking care to keep it all aligned.

Paint it all white!

Done this way, the engine module can be assembled and painted independently

DSCF8058.jpg

And slotted into position, without the need for all that tooth curling masking

DSCF8059.jpg

Nose leg just fits in the slot

DSCF8060.jpg

The back legs are not as straight forward, but at least you can get a finger in and secure them

DSCF8061.jpg

This is all theory and conjecture, feel free to point out the bleedin' obvious.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Hi All

I got the main halves of the engine pods together above the wing, making sure of a smooth fit

DSCF8136.jpg

Then, once they were solid, to get the small area under the wing to sit flush, I had to gently ease them out by about 2/3 LEGO

DSCF8137.jpg

While that was all coming together, I made a seat harness from some grey PVC tape and some chrome effect foil

DSCF8139.jpg

Not quite convinced about the ends, might work on them later if I remember.

Anyhoo, onto the IP and etc.

Revell would have you put the clear panel into this aperture from behind, with the decal on top

DSCF8140.jpg

A couple of thoughts on this, if I may.

Firstly, the opening isn't that well defined and looks a bit naff.

And secondly, why have it as a clear piece as there's no light coming from behind? (if you were installing LED lighting, one would presume you would be up to sourcing a clear piece of acetate sheet for yourself?)

It looks much better when dropped in from the front

DSCF8141.jpg

Thso, the back edge of the front lip (if you see what I mean) was painted black, the screen decal put on the back and the buttons were cut and put on the front

DSCF8146.jpg

The back of the hole in the IP was covered with shiny foil from a chocolate biscuit to try to reflect any errant light back through the screen decal

DSCF8145.jpg

The tub was dotted with a selection of dials and panels, DACO Strong working well to get them over the bumps

DSCF8143.jpg

DSCF8144.jpg

And so far it isn't looking too bad

DSCF8147.jpg

I'll get the control sticks in and give it all a dirty wash, see how it turns out.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

Hi All

Tub in

DSCF8152.jpg

DSCF8153.jpg

DSCF8154.jpg

Time to start on the seams

DSCF8155.jpg

I know it's a bit hard to tell from here, but they've sanded down really well (for me) without any filler! Glued it a section at a time, squeezed the bits together and let the melted edge ooze out a little, then when all dry a quick scrape with a flat blade and a rub down with a Flory stick.

I guess the proof will be in the priming, and a Reckless Experiment Cunning Plan...

Anyhoo, easy mask

DSCF8156.jpg

A touch of filler needed at the front lip and the rear edge

DSCF8157.jpg

But nothing drastic.

Major assemblies loosely assembled for the spray booth

DSCF8159.jpg

Results when I've a result.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

A sort of result.

I used a dodgy bottle of Vallejo Grey primer, not shaken much, and sprayed on thick.

Because:-

When not shaken enough, I found the darker particles tended to float and congregate in pools and on plates, giving an uneven and patchy  finish

DSCF8173.jpg

DSCF8174.jpg

I manipulated the paint runs with my finger to try to get them to look like surface damage to the outer skin. We'll see how effective that is on the final stages.

The specs of matter in the mix will hopefully poke through the decals and be another source of battle scar.

After fitting the lower section and upper fin, TET was then ran into each joint to lock the whole thing solid, making sure the engines still fitted.

DSCF8175.jpg

Looks like a spaceship!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hi All

I've been trying to make it white, without losing the slightly old greying variations.

I've also been trying to capture the subtleties, but my camera has other ideas...

DSCF8189.jpg

DSCF8190.jpg

DSCF8191.jpg

Seems like white is just as hard to photo as it is to paint.

I'll leave it at that as it's going to get some scruffy makeover.

A coat of gloss to seal it, then onto the variously maligned decals.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5