Dragon Sherman Firefly 1c 1/35

With the varnish still drying, I'm calling this one done and photographing it.  Aerials need to be fitted and, rather distressingly, I appear to have lost a small part that fits on the rear of the commander's hatch

spacer.png

This is Dragon's Sherman Firefly 1c.  I've had it in my stash for years, always meaning to build it , but put off by the individual track links.  I haven't the patience to put them together, and bought AFV club's T62 Track for M4 VVSS. No idea if it correct for this Sherman, but I wasn't about to put those links together.

spacer.png

Having bought the tracks, I put them somewhere 'safe', which meant I 'lost' them, then 'found' them, only to 'lose' them again as I didn't have time to build the tank. Roll of a few repeat iterations and years, and I finally manage to get both together, start the build, then stop the build for house improvements i.e. double glazing and replacement kitchen.

spacer.png

I finally get up the gumption to restart the build, got to the point of painting it olive drab, only I discovered I had sprayed faded olive drab - a sort of sand. Back the tank went to the shelf of doom as I figured what to do.

I normally do aircraft, and turn to tanks when I get fed up with the rigours of getting perfect finishes on planes. However, my tanks are usually completed as fresh out of the factory i.e. a simple paint job, with no weathering.  I finally worked up the enthusiasm to get going on this tank again, and decided to spread some sort of dark green over it in a desperate attempt to make it look sun faded.

y4m42WJz35vLdvX6npGxLS_IcmGHXInyomsv2h-K

Basically I sprayed a little, brush painted a little, dry brushed a little, splashed it all over a little, and relied heavily on transparent burnt sienna and burnt umber for the rusty bits. I don't really have a clue what I am doing, as I normally go for a pristine finish.

y4m3HNHB9kxOtxg0heAWd3en11bUDjsta28wNIYg

After about a half a day elapsed time of faffing around like this, I'd had enough and decided it was time to fit the AFV tracks. First a clean with soapy water. Then a coat of Halfords Flexible Vinyl spray. I find it is gives a good base for paints.  However, when dry fitting the tracks I noticed they looked a little tight...too tight in fact to fit the tracks.

Undaunted I simply stretched the tracks, and soon one began to fit better, and then the other one snapped in half! The air turned blue for several minutes. In the end, I worked out a plan. Stick the broken track together with the overlapping joint provided by AFV. I used superglue, rather than the technique of applying a hot screwdriver to melt the nibs on the joint.  Then I offered the track up to the tank, ensuring the broken end met over a lower wheel.  The track was then stuck to the road wheels with copious quantities of super glue.

y4mOfOInGxFgES_IuQ4AEhKRxbyKPWhuzUZW_-zL

I wasn't really enamoured by the Dragon kit. Attachment points seemed vague to non-existent, while the front sprockets wouldn't fit; needing a bit of hacking. It also seemed over engineered. You can see part of the problem with the left front track. It looks splayed, much Wall-E when he got squished.

You might also note a little raised bit in the middle of the right track.  There were a few other areas which caused me much lip pursing.  I like my old, simple Tamiya tank kits.

y4mS3vnNKzIm0bnDHflOn7vE7fbYlHwEqAYRelAC

I sort of painted the yellow triangle, but tried to make it look as is this was a tank that had gone through quite a bit, with the crew having to repair and paint bits.  I didn't bother with unit markings. Quite a few photos I see of Fireflies show no unit markings; either deliberate or simply hidden under much grime. Also, it occurred to me that if you were in Panther or Tiger country, the last thing you need is a nice bright, colourful unit insignia to make it easier to spot you.

Alternatively, I could have loaded up the tank with all sorts of equipment, and thus neatly hide any unit markings. I was too lazy to do so. I have another, exciting, tank to be getting on with.

I photographed the tank in the garden in full sun. In many ways this was a mistake. The sun tended to remove contrast and sort of bleach out the colours. The faded tops and sides do not look as sandy as on the model, and the green I splashed about is simply not green enough. Sigh. Better efforts required next time.

Just for the record. My camera/lens combo is a Canon 800D with a Sigma 150-600mm contemporary.  I simply stood about 3m (10 feet) away from the tank, zoomed in, and photographed it. I had a minimal field of depth.  It seems to work, and provides a nice hazy background. I was too lazy to switch lenses.

y4mJZgySwor504L-XAU95vegLrIwkG961lrq5hLJ

The overhead shots were obtained by me leaning out of the first floor bedroom window.  🙂 🙂 🙂   Glad none of the neighbours were about.

y4mLQe9P_zdSczKT7ImYGwukJ8p1Wn4KZTa0uEQD

I shall now take my next, continued build, from the shelf of doom. A King Tiger (Late).  I have the turret built, but that's about it. I will complete this one, before tackling a Tortoise and then Crocodile.

Angus

Edited by Shockwave Rider
Correcting grammer and removing duplicate image
  • Like 18

• 2 months later...