(Another) 1/24 Airfix Hurricane Mk.1. Small update 09/11/19

Hey everyone

Well you might think that I'm jumping on the 1/24 Airfix Hurricane band wagon what with @The Spadgent making a rather good start on his (you'd be right by the way 😊) but in my defence I do have some time to kill whilst I'm waiting for some bits to dry on my Hawker Typhoon and I think a large scale Hurricane will complement it nicely. So without further a do rather lovely box art..

47093563014_66a0d29ab9_z.jpg

The proposed scheme, Hurricane P3675 UF*S, 601 Sqn RAF Tangmere September 1940 (I built the 1/48 Scale version recently)..

IMG_0223a

..using the Montex masking set..

46994780795_b92454eb70_b.jpg

..and here is where I'm at at the moment. My fuselage halves are both quite warped so for the worst offender I am going to straighten it out by gluing on the side panels...

IMG_0421

..I drilled out the panel location tabs

IMG_0423

...and cut the starboard panel in two..

IMG_0422

...it still fits ok..

IMG_0425

Cheers all

Iain.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

I've been off work this week and I've managed to spend some time on my Hurricane. I've used my time wisely and added some extra detail to the Merlin engine. I have to say that straight from the box the engine builds up into a pretty nice little replica of the real thing and all that is needed is a little plumbing just to busy it up a little. I found it quite difficult to find many (if any) detailed pictures of the Merlin III but there are lots and lots of reference for the Merlin X, 25 etc. So with this in mind I detailed the motor so some of the pipework that I've added may not be totally accurate.

During my search for any reference material I came across a rather nice line drawing of a Merlin 25  on a site called academia.edu that shows the port, starboard, front and back of the engine so I saved this and re scaled it to the size of the Airfix Merlin then printed it off and used it as my basis for running the pipework..

IMG_1689

academia.edu

This diagram proved to be invaluable as it allowed me to measure and bend the pipework quite accurately, however as you will see in later pictures I still managed to get some of the pipework very wrong!

I also manged to find some 3D renderings of a Merlin which again these proved very useful when it came to detailing the motor.

1f42c5d0b8479f7909fa4029428eb577

3dsmolier

982b1a4400082fbb5aabeaf82b4f79d5

3dsmolier

8dd450909a9236155c282ae67617c4b3

3dsmolier

During the construction phase of the engine build I managed to loose the oil relief pressure valve (dunno how) so I knocked up a replacement from bits from the spares box and plastic card and I think it turned out ok..

merlin1

A few pictures of the completed engine, you will notice that I managed to get the placement of the cooling pipe the white plastic rod wrong, it should go all the way down the the crack case but for some reason I have it going to the back of the engine so it looks a little odd? I was going to try and change it but its stuck solid!

48012448098_f2d65d5f03_o

48012522292_3855e5bd00_o

48012434891_cac8525b22_o

48012434926_bddd5b714c_o

48012448053_f7ca5617e6_o

And here it is with a little squirt of Tamiya XF1 sprayed on..

48012677153_00bab6928d_o

48012750462_08edee6946_o

So that's all I have for now.

Cheers all

Iain

• Like 12

Looks grand Iain! 

I had a similar issue when I built my 25th scale spitfire last year and ended up using some general images. You've done a great job so far. 

• Like 2

Good luck with the build Iain - I'll be following with great interest and cheering you along all the way.

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Antb said:

Looks grand Iain! 

I had a similar issue when I built my 25th scale spitfire last year and ended up using some general images. You've done a great job so far. 

Hey Ant

Yeah it’s strange that there doesn’t appear to be much info in the way of pictures out there ref early Merlins (unless that is I just don’t know what I’m looking at which is a real possibility) but the old Airfix kit holds up well and it sure looks like a Hurricane, I am surprised at how simple it is compared the the Tiffy. 

30 minutes ago, P.1127 said:

Great progress so far, a marked improvement to the supplied engine by the looks of things.

Following with interest, 

P.

Hiya P.1127

Cheers buddy much appreciated.

21 minutes ago, BIG X said:

Good luck with the build Iain - I'll be following with great interest and cheering you along all the way.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks mate, so far I’ve really enjoyed it, it will look good parked up next to the Tiffy which is still very much a works in progress.

Cheers gents.

Iain

• Like 1

21 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey Ant

Yeah it’s strange that there doesn’t appear to be much info in the way of pictures out there ref early Merlins (unless that is I just don’t know what I’m looking at which is a real possibility) but the old Airfix kit holds up well and it sure looks like a Hurricane, I am surprised at how simple it is compared the the Tiffy. 

Different beast isn't it mate, just shows how far kits have come over the years  i guess

• Like 1

Hi everyone

I think I'm going to call the main engine block done. I've been watching with interest the progress that @The Spadgent has made with his Hurricane build and especially the engine. Johnny has gone down the route of adding some color to his Merlin by painting some of the pipework and creating high and low lights to add some interest, I however have gone the other way and kept my motor primarily black. I've based this on some photographs of a Mk II that was pulled out of a lake near Murmansk, Russia.

hurricane_13

warrelics.eu

hurricane_09

warrelics.eu

48025883566_6e37177ef4_o

48025883681_5a49bb99c8_o

48025883691_4d23bec619_o

48025883736_67d2164191_o

48025916493_381be33bf4_o

48025916608_8cb894188a_o

48025989617_af30538d2b_o

48025989977_9e1860bd48_o

To paint the engine I used Tamiya XF1, XF69, Mr Color Metal and oils and I sealed it with a semi gloss finish. Over all I'm fairly happy with how it looks and with the addition of the exhaust stacks and prop it should really pop.

Cheers 

Iain

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Wowowa!!!! I didnae even see you were doing this. 👌👍😳😀 How Ace!!! Another one. Feel free to step ahead of me at any time so I can do a bit of over the shoulder. 🤗 I have only skimmed as I’m just about to make s post before bed but the pics look amazing! Not sure what that 3D wireframe was all about but I’ll find out just after I get my post done.

I’d love to tag along if that’s ok. 

Johnny. 🥳

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, elger said:

What a beast of an engine. Love it!

Cheers mate 👍

25 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Wowowa!!!! I didnae even see you were doing this. 👌👍😳😀 How Ace!!! Another one. Feel free to step ahead of me at any time so I can do a bit of over the shoulder. 🤗 I have only skimmed as I’m just about to make s post before bed but the pics look amazing! Not sure what that 3D wireframe was all about but I’ll find out just after I get my post done.

I’d love to tag along if that’s ok. 

Johnny. 🥳

Hey Johnny

I saw your build and I felt compelled to start mine (even though I do have a Typhoon, Lanc, Spit and B-25 on the go 😱). I'm a little behind you as I don't really get that much time for modeling but I am enjoying the Hurricane immensely and I like what your doing with yours.

Cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 2

Evening all

I have managed to spend a little time on my Hurricane and I've spent it on detailing the engine. I followed in @The Spadgent foot steps and added the missing frame work under the motor..

48116431741_69bf67b4f5_o

..I've also added the cogs and chains for the manual engine starter..

48116521217_3b9bee3328_o

..and a compressor to the rear of the engine

48116524602_3cd5c3179e_o

That's pretty much it for now.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

Evening all

Today I thought I'd build the seat, armor plating and Sutton Harness, a few hours work (or so I thought). I started at 0900 and finished literally 20 minutes ago! Phew it turned into a bit of a marathon..

48122246307_9f1677e7aa_o

48122184318_2daafe97db_o

48122148271_d1f13d4ca9_o

48122184408_193ab2224f_b.jpg

..Overall I'm fairly happy with the result, maybe I've gone a little over board with the chipping on the armor but I'm going to leave it and see how I feel about it further into the build.

The staining is a mixture of Superglue and Gator grip. 

Cheers

Iain

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Surprising how well that old kit has stood up to time.

The last time I built it was at least fourty years ago.

It sure didn't turn out anything like this nice!

Keep it up!

Hiya

Thanks for the kind words buddy I appreciate it it has to be one of the better of the 1/24 Airfix kits. I've been working on her for most of the day so I will have a (small) update later.

Cheers

Iain

Hey everyone

Just a small update. I've been plodding away at my Hurricane over the past few days and it seems that I've spent lots of time on the model without achieving very much. My time has been taken up with adding some more detail to the cockpit

and my route has been very similar to Johnny @The Spadgent. I started by changing the control column (as I think that the original Airfix offering is some what on the squat side) with one from my spares box and as Johnny did I re positioned the brake 

pressure gauge and replaced the dial and bezel with airscale alternatives and I cut off the original foot straps and replaced them with masking tape which still needs painting and weathering...

48143611772_6a25817db8_o

48143523086_c551ac54c4_o

48143522786_f02e27d6a0_o

I've also spent some time remodeling the port side cockpit frame work. I removed most of the original moldings and from plastic card and the spares box I've added things like the landing light switch and harness release and improved on things like 

the radio jack plug and throttle (amongst other things)..

48143523116_7de6feda69_o

48143612007_bc2962e4b9_o

..I'll add the chain that runs from the trim wheel and I've added some attachments for the wire to attach too..

48143612022_cd410ce86e_o

Well that's me for now, hopefully I'll get some paint down a little later and bring out the detail a bit more.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 5

That seat construction looks amazing. I really like the chipping. As Benny Hill once said “I like ‘em big”.  I like the clean but worn look you have.

Don’t forget the pesky flash lines on the inside edge of all those flame pipes. They did my ruddy head in. Not there until you go looking. I found if I took a pic while working they instantly pinged out a little like turning a painting on its head while you work on it.

Wonderful stuff kid. 👍

JJ

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

That seat construction looks amazing. I really like the chipping. As Benny Hill once said “I like ‘em big”.  I like the clean but worn look you have.

Don’t forget the pesky flash lines on the inside edge of all those flame pipes. They did my ruddy head in. Not there until you go looking. I found if I took a pic while working they instantly pinged out a little like turning a painting on its head while you work on it.

Wonderful stuff kid. 👍

JJ

Morning Johnny

cheers for that buddy. I’m quite pleased with the seat and belts, the wear n tear is a little OTT but it doesn’t detract from the over look too much and the belts from RB productions are great, they look the part but more importantly they are fairly straight forward to assembly (if a little time consuming). I’ve been working on the port frame work this morning and hopefully I should have it completed today if not tomorrow. You keep you the good work mate. 

Have a great weekend

Iain

• Like 2

2 hours ago, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Morning Johnny

cheers for that buddy. I’m quite pleased with the seat and belts, the wear n tear is a little OTT but it doesn’t detract from the over look too much and the belts from RB productions are great, they look the part but more importantly they are fairly straight forward to assembly (if a little time consuming).

You could touch some of the green back in on the panel behind the seat.  If you do it in a slightly darker shade it might look like someone has touched up the badly worn areas with fresher paint..

• Like 1