(Another) 1/24 Airfix Hurricane Mk.1. Small update 09/11/19

That looks splendid iain 

If you hadn't mentioned the dials I wouldn't have known (actually I've had a stare and I still can't see the wonky ones....)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Antb said:

That looks splendid iain 

If you hadn't mentioned the dials I wouldn't have known (actually I've had a stare and I still can't see the wonky ones....)

Morning buddy

thanks for the kind comment mate 👍 yeah unfortunately there are at least 2 that are slightly off - it’s annoying coz I spent quite a lot of time getting everything lined up, the photo etch must of slipped slightly as it was setting? Anyway it’s not the end of the world.

have a great weekend

iain

Lovely cockpit Iain, having struggled with this kit last year, mainly cleaning up the flash and dealing with the mold misalignments, you have done a cracking job.

I note you're in Cornwall, what part? If it's North Cornwall we ought to form a club!

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coors54 said:

Lovely cockpit Iain, having struggled with this kit last year, mainly cleaning up the flash and dealing with the mold misalignments, you have done a cracking job.

I note you're in Cornwall, what part? If it's North Cornwall we ought to form a club!

Dave

Hey Dave

Cheers mate 👍

Padstow eh? Not too far from where I am, I'm more west, down Falmouth way. I think there's a modeling club in Malpas near Truro, but I could be wrong?

Iain

Really great work. 🙌👍🤗.

the IP looks spot on. I really love that we’re both doing this at the same time.😇

yes the pipe doesn’t quite fit I moved that side all over the place on mine so I thought it was me. I have managed to jimmy it so it lines up on the (up down) if you catch my drift.

lovey decals on the panel by the way. Very impressive. Better than my squiggles. 🤣

johnny

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:34 PM, The Spadgent said:

Really great work. 🙌👍🤗.

the IP looks spot on. I really love that we’re both doing this at the same time.😇

yes the pipe doesn’t quite fit I moved that side all over the place on mine so I thought it was me. I have managed to jimmy it so it lines up on the (up down) if you catch my drift.

lovey decals on the panel by the way. Very impressive. Better than my squiggles. 🤣

johnny

Hi Johnny

Thanks buddy - yeah it is pretty cool that we are both building our Hurricanes at the same time, it’s interesting to see how we both tackle the build and add our own individual marks to them, I have to say your weathering is much better and more subtle than mine. 

Yeah that blummin’ pipe is a bit of a pain, I didn’t realise just how misaligned it actually was until I dry fitted the front bulkhead, but as I’m building mine with the access panels below the fuel tank attached it shouldn’t be a big issue?

Those decals actually turned out better and easier to make than I originally imagined I just wish I had spent a little more time at the production stage and gotten their sizes correct before I pulled the trigger and printed them off.

Everything that you have done on your build has been of the highest quality and as ever the thread makes a great read, I still have lots that I want to do regards detailing both the cockpit and the engine / engine bay so mine is gonna take a little time before I can button her up.

Anyway I look forward to more updates mate, keep em coming.

Cheers buddy.

Iain.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone

Just a quick update just to prove that I am still working on this (not that I get much time to myself ☹️). I am of cause following @The Spadgent build and at #127 of his

build he starts work on the IP and he mentions the detail on the back of the kit IP and I have to say once it was painted up it looks pretty darn good.

Now I haven't used the kit IP but I did have a spare blank cut out/silhouette that I made when I assembled the airscale flavoured panel.

48444833392_27ca064f21_o

So I thought why not make the back of the IP as it is quite visible on the finished model (well at least I think it is 😱), so scouring the tinterweb I came across this image of 

the rear of a Spitfire IP which will act as a fine substitute for a Hurricane as I found it impossible to find a picture of a Hurricane and as most of the instruments are basically the 

same just in different positions I thought why not.

02of_inst_panel_002

Spitfiresite

This is the look that I'm going for..

48444486966_56f22d311b_o

So using the original kit part as a template I added the back of the instruments using my punch and die set and once I was happy with their positions I glued them down

and drill some holes to accept the wire that will act as the pipework and cables..

48444642292_508d13683f_o

48444641817_ccf82bf5fb_o

That my friends is all I have for now, hopefully I will get some time to myself later and make a start on the wiring.

Cheers

Iain

• Like 6

Nice! I assume you'll be leaving the cowling panels off then, as I can't see any other way that the back of the instrument panel would be visible.....

Ian

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice! I assume you'll be leaving the cowling panels off then, as I can't see any other way that the back of the instrument panel would be visible.....

Ian

Hey Ian

Yes, looking at other builds and slapping mine together it looks like quite a bit should be visible, all I have to do is do the kit justice and hopefully show off it’s assets. Well that’s the plan anyway 😎

Iain.

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That looks great Iain, looking forward to seeing it all wired up.

John 

Hey John

You and me both mate! It should look pretty cool when it’s done, I just need to figure out how I’m going to run the cabling.

cheers 

Iain

I’ve only just seen this build thread. Excellent work, especially on the cockpit.

just a note, there’s some cross members the kit doesn’t tell you about: 2 at the firewall, one horizontal and one diagonal, and 2 below the pilots seat, with bracing wires. I’m not sure how far along you are today, but I can send you pix of the missing tubing, if you wish. Pm me if required.

TW

Ladies and gents

Just a quick question does anyone know what the mechanism for the undercarriage/flap sector on the stb side of the cockpit looks like? I want to scratch it but having looked on the web I can’t find a detailed shot of it.

Thanks in advance

Iain.

• Like 1

I can’t believe you scratched the rear of the IP.  🤩 Really great work. I was happy with the kit bit but hey your one looks outstanding. I didn’t add any wires as the rear is pretty much bunched against the bulk head. I just had to go up to the top of the house to see how much can be seen and there is a few mill there if you’re looking for it. I might try and slip a few token wires in. Oooh you swine. Always upping the game. 😉🥳

not sure about the bit in the pit you’re on about but @isaneng sent me some ref pics. I’ll dig through and see if there are any shots for you.

great stuff kid.

John.

My my, what stunning work. Once I start my big build (in a few years probably, when I got the room to give it its deserved place) I'll have two - and god knows how many more till then - people to er - "inspire" me... Scratching and wiring the IP backside is ok, but like that... Wow. 

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Hi Iain, this is the best I can find at the moment, from the Squadron ' Walk Around ' book.

48485928246_1572c54fe9_b.jpg

Hope it's of some use to you.

John

Hi John

That's pretty much the same shot that I've been able to find, what I'm after is the mechanism that connects it to rest of the airplane (if you see what I mean?) - thank you for looking though it 👍

6 hours ago, Johnny Tip said:

My my, what stunning work. Once I start my big build (in a few years probably, when I got the room to give it its deserved place) I'll have two - and god knows how many more till then - people to er - "inspire" me... Scratching and wiring the IP backside is ok, but like that... Wow. 

Hey Johny T

Thanks mate - 2 Hurricanes eh? Your gonna have a blast! Look forward to seeing your work when your ready 😎

Iain

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I can’t believe you scratched the rear of the IP.  🤩 Really great work. I was happy with the kit bit but hey your one looks outstanding. I didn’t add any wires as the rear is pretty much bunched against the bulk head. I just had to go up to the top of the house to see how much can be seen and there is a few mill there if you’re looking for it. I might try and slip a few token wires in. Oooh you swine. Always upping the game. 😉🥳

not sure about the bit in the pit you’re on about but @isaneng sent me some ref pics. I’ll dig through and see if there are any shots for you.

great stuff kid.

John.

Hey John

'I didn’t add any wires as the rear is pretty much bunched against the bulk head.'

I was gonna ask you about how much was actually visible (rear of the IP) when the fuel tank is fitted and its all buttoned up also can you attach the IP to the cockpit framework rather than the fuselage side before gluing it all together?

Plus if you do have any pictures mate I'll be glad of them as I have manged to find naff all on the tinter web?

And thank you for the kind words buddy. Your guns are looking banging (geddit?)

Hope you and your family have a great time over the weekend at the music festival (not Boardmasters I hope ☹️)

Cheers bud

Iain

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, isaneng said:

Iain, I believe there's a selector pic on the cloud photo set I sent you- if not, I will send one asap!

Hi ya

I’ve sent a pm.

cheers buddy

Iain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, (ex)Sgtrafman said:

Hey John

'I didn’t add any wires as the rear is pretty much bunched against the bulk head.'

Doh! I’ve gone and squeezed some in now. 😑 never mind, you can’t really tell. Did you get the shots from @isaneng ? If so then that’s what I have. Good luck with the next steps sir. 🤗

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

On 9/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, The Spadgent said:

Hey. How’s things. Any more Hurri action in the background? 

johnny. 🙌

On 10/13/2019 at 9:16 AM, The Spadgent said:

Hya.

just nearing the end of my build and thought about you. Any news on the beast? All the best.

Jont.

Buddy sorry not to have replied to you mate - life's been a little crazy over the past few months and modeling has taken a real back seat BUT I do have a real small update for you...

On 10/13/2019 at 9:26 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo yes, what a cracker, great work so far the cockpit interior and back of IP look fantastic.  

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris

Cheers buddy thanks for the kind words. Sorry I haven't replied sooner life has kinda gotten in the way.

Iain

• Like 2