F.152 General Aircraft Hotspur II Glider

Ventora3300

2 hours ago, Jinxman said:

Looking good - may ask what type of glue you used on the windows?

Yes, I used Tamiya Extra Thin - windows pushed fully home from the inside then the cement brush touched to the inside 'flange' of the windows so that the cement seeps into the space with the fuselage wall, and doesn't get onto the outer surface of the window which is seen when the two fuselage halves are put together. I then tested once dry (tapping on the table) to check that all windows were fixed OK - none moved so fingers crossed.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ventora3300 said:

Yes, I used Tamiya Extra Thin - windows pushed fully home from the inside then the cement brush touched to the inside 'flange' of the windows so that the cement seeps into the space with the fuselage wall, and doesn't get onto the outer surface of the window which is seen when the two fuselage halves are put together. I then tested once dry (tapping on the table) to check that all windows were fixed OK - none moved so fingers crossed.

Cheers - I thought it was something else due to the colouration.

Had another look at the pic and think it might be a coat of brown on the outside, running through the holes. 😁

• Like 1

Confession time; I'd never heard of a Hotspur before! :blush: I must have read the wrong Commando Magazines. Anyway this GB has cured that. 

Lovely kit and great Build!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Glad you're back onto this kit Mike. Now had it not been for Frog, I would not have known what this, a Miles Master and perhaps the Bristol 138 were either. Now that I think of it, I reckon I could probably add half a dozen more! I like the internals Mike, most of which will be visible under that glasshouse canopy. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 14/08/2019 at 19:02, Johnson said:

Confession time; I'd never heard of a Hotspur before! :blush: I must have read the wrong Commando Magazines. Anyway this GB has cured that. 

Lovely kit and great Build!

Thanks very much Johnson - same here! It is another unusual / less well known type that Frog pioneered and I was keen to do my first 'trainer yellow' aircraft. I'm learning more about every sort of aircraft now than I ever knew when a kid.

On 14/08/2019 at 19:07, stevej60 said:

This is coming together extremely well looking great too.

Many thanks Steve. Trying to catch up with all your great builds as well.

On 14/08/2019 at 20:22, bigbadbadge said:

Looking good and progressing well.

Keep up the good

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris. This one is gliding in to the finish.

On 16/08/2019 at 15:17, Rabbit Leader said:

Glad you're back onto this kit Mike. Now had it not been for Frog, I would not have known what this, a Miles Master and perhaps the Bristol 138 were either. Now that I think of it, I reckon I could probably add half a dozen more! I like the internals Mike, most of which will be visible under that glasshouse canopy. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Many thanks, Dave, me too but worse. My worst confession was that I had never heard of a CAC Boomerang before I started amassing Airfix kits. You can imagine the uproar from 'down under'! My penance is to produce a kit with 'Roo roundels at some point, honest!

Got all the main pieces together now and they went together like a dream. The pictures (poor focus) are a bit 'warts and all' but do serve to remind me where all the touch-ups are required.

Cockpit insides are in silver, as reliably informed from elsewhere (they did this on the outside of some DH Mosquitoes as well?) and gauges dotted in on the two IP's I made the seats 'cockpit green' as they were no doubt metal items.

hOanRO3.jpg

The skids under the fuselage just popped into place with only some mold seam marks requiring scraping off. The molding is very good and it looks like a very small roller was fitted at the front end of the forward skid - makes sense.

The undercarriage legs pushed into place at a slight forward angle, which I believe from @OneEighthBit earlier on is what is required. You can't see it here but I have chopped away some of the angular strut at the front of the undercarriage legs to replace with a curved section to better represent the 'handles' at the front of the main legs.

The fuselage and stabilisers show what I was trying to achieve on the wings - retaining the kit yellow, which may look slightly more 'orange' that the H24 'Trainer Yellow' on the wings (don't start that again!). Maybe a coat of varnish will blend it all in. Also, the black stripes across the two main wings meet pretty closely at the fuselage - all done by eye on the main wings separately so that has actually worked out very well for me.

2ymTJuB.jpg

Just crew, canopy and wheels to go now before 'transfers'. Since @MrT has done 'D' and it looks like @JOCKNEY is going to do 'J', I'll do a bit of editing and maybe produce 'T'.

• Like 5

Almost there now Mike and looking really good. I’m starting to really warm to these little gliders and should I get a craving to tackle one I’ll look back at these great threads for some inspiration and motivation.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 19/08/2019 at 11:25, Rabbit Leader said:

Almost there now Mike and looking really good. I’m starting to really warm to these little gliders and should I get a craving to tackle one I’ll look back at these great threads for some inspiration and motivation.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave, I think it is definitely worth getting this one finished and it does feel quite substantial in the hands (when flying around the workbench) - must be the weight of plastic, something I've noted on Frog kits.

A little more done now - 'hoops' added to the cut undercarriage legs and wheel tyre painting in progress. The pilot and trainee are in khaki as @JOCKNEY helpfully observed that they would be Army rather than RAF. I'm also touching up and finishing the colours all round - as others have observed, yellow is a difficult colour to paint as well as cover up.

lIx90JG.jpg

pmfhmpH.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The wheels are on (using the 'hot knife' technique) and the crew are in the Hotspur. I also added that detail of the nose pitot tubes which I did see on reference films. Canopy frames are painted, ready to go on.

KnYZeoH.jpg

ZiMJRvP.jpg

Canopy is on and I put on the pin release cables at the rear of the undercarriage legs. Some more touch ups to the black stripes are required then I'll coat with varnish and finish off with the transfers. Nearly there!

qfVGdHE.jpg

EzYIg66.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

the 'hot knife' technique

I'll bet they wouldn't be allowed to put that in the instructions these days!

Looks excellent Mike, and nice to see the Army pilots in their OD uniforms!

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Hi,

anything flying without an engine has my vote!

You are doing a great job on this Hotspur!

I have flown gliders painted with bird feathers, but never one with yellow and black stripes!!!

Congrats are in order.

Well done Mike!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 02/09/2019 at 16:38, Johnson said:

I'll bet they wouldn't be allowed to put that in the instructions these days!

Looks excellent Mike, and nice to see the Army pilots in their OD uniforms!

Cheers,

Thanks, Johnson. Actually, the uniforms are Khaki! Not sure about the accuracy but...

On 03/09/2019 at 04:10, Rabbit Leader said:

Almost there Mike and looking very good indeed. Seems like another gallery entry is not too far away. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Dave. You are right, over the finish line at last!

On 03/09/2019 at 21:09, jean said:

Hi,

anything flying without an engine has my vote!

You are doing a great job on this Hotspur!

I have flown gliders painted with bird feathers, but never one with yellow and black stripes!!!

Congrats are in order.

Well done Mike!!!

JR

Many thanks JR. Yes, no spinning props on this one but still a great fly round the room!

Matt cote on and original kit transfers on - I tried the @stevej60 method of a pool of decalfix under the transfers this time and had the odd sticky moment but all behaved brilliantly. I've got the odd rough edge on the decals but time for this little beauty to be declared finished so I can move on. Enjoyed the build and the training stripes were a bit taxing but all adds to the 'experience'. Thanks to all the BM 'usual suspects' for the help and encouragement along the way.

T9vEGh1.jpg

fpGe1EX.jpg

2ldmeHt.jpg

tqJspS8.jpg

neIqMK6.jpg

awQ6grj.jpg

kvraWXC.jpg?1

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ventora3300 said:

the uniforms are Khaki!

Quite right! I've obviously been hanging around with Yanks too much! :blush:

I've just bought one of these for FROG Squad 2! ^_^