F244 Avenger II (TBM-1) Torpedo Bomber Local History

JOCKNEY

If / when I finish the Renzan, this will be the next build

IMG_4390

And here is why

IMG_4391

As RAF Macrihanish, is local to me, that Campbeltown in case you were wondering. How could I possibly not build this one. All the parts seem to be there, along with a very robust looking stand.

IMG_4392

IMG_4393

I couldn't help but notice that the pictures for the painting guide show multi antennas on the above and below wing ariels whereas the kit parts don't have them. Is there any aftermarket kits available for this kit that might include them and or other bits ?

cheers Pat

• Like 7

Pat, great choice of kit. The Avenger is another of my favourite aircraft and I'm looking forward to seeing that built.  BTW, that stand is one of the 'innovative' type which you can screw to a vertical surface (your man-cave wall) and comes with an pivoting/adjustable mounting for the kit. When your arms get tired from flying the finished kit around the room, you can pose it on the wall stand at head height! Good luck with the build. All the best. Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Hi Pat,

I know Owl did some etch and resin bits for the TBM - don't know if these are the ones you are looking for?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OWL-Radar-Aerials-ASB-Avenger-PE-72003-1-73/163063030187?hash=item25f75061ab:g:lD0AAOSwitRa12om

cheers

I saw the Yagi ASV aerials on Hannants site a year ago, probably by Owl, and they should be OK for this kit and I suspect the Barracuda to name but a few. Don't seem to be in stock at the moment. Otherwise its down to plastic rod and stretched sprue/ piano wire or even nylon toothbrush bristles as per good old Airfix Mag (speaking of which just noticed I have Vol 1 Issue 11 of the same which must have been the first modelling mag I ever bought back in 1961). I have used similar etched aerials on night fighters but they look a bit too flat to me. Better than nothing though.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

There's always room for an extra one in the GB ;)

cheers Pat

Thanks, but I don't have the time nor the skills required. I'll just sit back and await what you masters of styrene produce.

Chris

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Nice one Pat,hell this is going to be a full time job checking in on everyone's build's and I'm not even hosting it!

Don't remind me ! :frantic:

I think the expression is letting the genie out of the bottle, well there's no going back now !

cheers Pat

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Pat

Great choice, love the Avenger. Like the idea of using the toothbrush bristles for the ASV as Peter said.  I am off to hack some Bristles from the Missus' toothbrush, I hope she doesn't notice!!!

😉

All the best

Chris

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Thanks, but I don't have the time nor the skills required. I'll just sit back and await what you masters of styrene produce.

Chris

Well they a'int gonna build themselves, hey Chris.... although at times I wish they did! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

Nice choice Pat and it's always great to build a subject when there's a local flavour attached. At the rate, this GB might even eclipse the previous Airfix and Matchbox Classic GB's. Surely that can't happen? I'll be watching you start and "COMPLETE" this one. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/27/2019 at 10:54 PM, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Pat

Great choice, love the Avenger. Like the idea of using the toothbrush bristles for the ASV as Peter said.  I am off to hack some Bristles from the Missus' toothbrush, I hope she doesn't notice!!!

😉

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well they are flexible so won't perhaps break so easily. However I am not sure if the ones back in the 60's were of the same material as modern ones. Suppose nylon will stick with CA glue?

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Hi Chris,

Well they are flexible so won't perhaps break so easily. However I am not sure if the ones back in the 60's were of the same material as modern ones. Suppose nylon will stick with CA glue?

Pete

Crikey hadn't thought of that, that means I can't glue them back onto her toothbrush either, gawd blimey I'm in for it then !!!

All the best
Chris

• Haha 4

42 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey hadn't thought of that, that means I can't glue them back onto her toothbrush either, gawd blimey I'm in for it then !!!

All the best
Chris

Of course if you use slow drying CA, you will have positive confirmation she is cleaning her teeth when she can't remove the repaired toothbrush after use !

:chair:

Risky move !

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Of course if you use slow drying CA, you will have positive confirmation she is cleaning her teeth when she can't remove the repaired toothbrush after use !

:chair:

Risky move !

Then I really will be in for it !!!

• Haha 2

haha @JOCKNEY, I have the earlier boxing of this model.

Glad you've chosen the second scheme as I'll go the Pacific fleet scheme.

Pretty flash stand Bro, I only have the poor mans version!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to a well timed KUTA from @Rabbit Leader I'm afraid and ashamed to admit I am currently away with the Jockney clan on holiday with no kits having traveled with me.

I shall therefore encourage everyone else's builds from the sidelines, think of me as a cheerleader but mercifully without the short skirt and Pom Poms !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

.... think of me as a cheerleader but mercifully without the short skirt and Pom Poms !

But I’m still having these strange images of you dressed in a nicely pleated kilt and a set of well blown bagpipes Pat.. surely that qualifies you for the title of BM’s resident ‘Scottish Cheerleader’?? 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Haha 3

Mmmmm Sky Base. I had a few of these, mostly populated by kits other than FROG I'd have to admit. 

I learned pretty quickly not to rely on the adhesive pad after an Airfix Mosquito had a short and violent departure from the wall 🙄

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Hi Pat 

Will be watching as I too have one lurking in the depths of the stash . It may surface depending on progress with the Wessex and other GB promises 

Martin H

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As a break from masking the clear parts of the Dornier, I couldn't resist making a cheeky start on this one.

Some bits glued together and a bit of painting

IMG_4513

Its what they call a "soft day" locally i.e. it's monsoon weather,

IMG_4514

definitely a day for kit building. Trouble is I'm on call so I can't enjoy a tipple whilst doing it !

cheers Pat

• Like 5

Thanks Chris @bigbadbadge

Decided to follow the instructions literally 

IMG_4515

First heat your screwdriver, then

IMG_4516

Melt the end of the spindle to stop the wheel coming off, and yes in case you were asking, both wheels turn lovely and smoothly thank you !

cheers Pat

• Like 7