F.175 Fokker F.VIIB-3M Southern Cross

Ventora3300

So much to like about this whole WIP thread Mike. The historical knowledge gained from any kit build adds so much to the completed model. It’s probably what I like best about this crazy old hobby of ours. 

Cheers and very well modelled (and documented).. Dave 

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2019 at 11:17, Jinxman said:

That looks grand - the stand really sets it off beautifully as well.

Many thanks Jinxman, I think Frog produced a winner of a kit here. All set for a fly round the room!

On 06/08/2019 at 11:18, Rabbit Leader said:

Just lovely Mike. The additional detail bits all add up to a well researched and much loved project. It looks like you’ve enjoyed the build as well as all that newly acquired historical knowledge. Time to pour a glass of wine, sit back and admire your great work. Well done. 

Cheers.. Dave

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

So much to like about this whole WIP thread Mike. The historical knowledge gained from any kit build adds so much to the completed model. It’s probably what I like best about this crazy old hobby of ours. 

Cheers and very well modelled (and documented).. Dave 

Many thanks, Dave. I do enjoy researching the subjects and I'll be sorry to pack this one away in a box to keep 'under the radar' - I'm certain that it won't even be on temporary display on the dining table or sideboard as you have managed to achieve with a previous build. Yes, I did enjoy finding out all about Smithy and the Old Bus - must make you Aussies proud. I'll do a double celebration - build and bedroom re-decoration complete! BTW, keep up the good work on your Canberra.

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

That looks gorgeous. The extra detailing, the pilots and the plaque have really paid off. Looks good on the stand too!

Regards,

Adrian

Cheers, Adrian. Always looking to improve on detailing of course. Maybe now, black stands are 'in'!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

it is covered in shame that I must admit that only now did I look at your build thread!!!

Absolutely amazingly stunningly out of this world!

Brilliant build and painting!

But this type of build is possibly too complicated for me... Super show.

Congrats!!!

JR

• Thanks 1

On 21/09/2019 at 21:48, John D.C. Masters said:

Finally caught up with this exceptional build...Four stars ️ and hat’s off sir!

On 22/09/2019 at 05:44, John D.C. Masters said:

I meant ‘five’...

Many thanks, John. Much appreciated from a master-modeller like you. I never thought I would get so much enjoyment from a non-military aircraft. Smithy's story is an epic one.

22 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Mike,

it is covered in shame that I must admit that only now did I look at your build thread!!!

Absolutely amazingly stunningly out of this world!

Brilliant build and painting!

But this type of build is possibly too complicated for me... Super show.

Congrats!!!

JR

JR - thanks for that and it's no wonder because this Frog GB is massive and still going strong. At 1/72 scale, you can get away with creating an 'impression' of how it should look rather than absolute detail in miniature, although some of the other BM modellers are brilliant at producing that detail. It's a fantastic hobby, I think. All the best with your builds. Mike.

• Thanks 1

That's a First Class build all round. Lovely stuff!

The FROG stand really does set the model off as well.

The problem with the stand transfer showing straight through to the black of the stand has caught me out before. Some transfer sheets don't have a white or coloured background to the nameplate. This becomes apparent only when you go to fit them! The solution, although too late for this build, is to paint on a white background on the stand itself. I had to do that recently on a Lightning P1 stand.

Edited by TonyW
  • Thanks 2