F.175 Fokker F.VIIB-3M Southern Cross

Ventora3300

Here is the first kit I would like to do in the Frog Squad GB, the Fokker F.VIIB-3M 'Southern Cross', an extremely interesting aircraft in that it was the monoplane that in 1928 was flown by Australian aviator Charles Kingsford Smith, Charles Ulm, Harry Lyon and James Warner in the first-ever trans-Pacific flight to Australia from the mainland United States, a distance of about 11,670 kilometres (7,250 mi). (Obviously I had a touch of 'FrogGBitis' when taking the pic - I'll edit in a better one later)

b0xRyc2.jpg

This is the 'Trailblazers' boxing of this kit which was released by Frog in 1965 - I picked one up because I was intrigued by the unusual and unique subjects covered in the Frog range.

BvsvMMc.jpg

Look at those Instructions. Modelling Hints and a handy list of parts (with the proper names for education) at the bottom.

r9z55zg.jpg

Here is the part of the Instructions that is unique to the Trail Blazers boxings - a brief history of the model subject. There is also the Frog Kits Listing (up to that date?) and 12 Gold Tokens, no less!

eUgnp3r.jpg

The transfers look OK - time will tell. The stand is huge and in black! There is a rubber sachet of glue! Also, two overscale (compared to the crew versions ) figures of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith and Charles Ulm. These will need careful and reverent painting. I wonder who the packer 'No. 20' was? No complaints from me anyway.

o4H2onG.jpg

You may be aware that the 'Southern Cross' is now preserved at Brisbane Airport in a special glass hangar memorial on Airport Drive, near the international terminal. This means that this build will have access to a very special on-site consultant, our own @Rabbit Leader, who has told me he drives past it on the way to work. I won't be asking Dave to count the rivets but you never know what interesting details may need checking out to ensure this build gets the care and attention it deserves. Roll on 1st June.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 12

Delighted to see this one being built, perhaps if we ask nicely Dave @Rabbit Leader will organise a Frog Squad GB road trip to go and see the original.

Look after the gold coins and we can pool them all at the end and treat ourselves.

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So good to see the Fokker Southern Cross being built here Mike. Not sure if I can organise a physical road trip, however a virtual one might be a tad easier. Give me a few days and I'll pop over to the memorial site and take a few snaps. Smithy's Fokker did go through quite a few changes during its life, however I'm pretty sure she has been restored to replicate the famous 1928 Pacific Crossing. I once had a Novo Export version of this kit and the only good part was the quality of decals (surprising I know). Your kit's plastic looks quite pristine so should end up a lovely build. You know I'll be watching on. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This aircraft has a very simple colour scheme - 'Medium Blue' and Silver. The Silver will be straightforward enough but there seems to be at least a couple of choices for 'Medium Blue' if I stick to my usual Humbrol paint tins. I was reading up some material on the Southern Cross and there have been extensive discussions on the exact shade of blue for the Pacific crossing (only b/w photos available) and whether there was any silver on the nose and tail and even the window frames! At this point, I am going to trust those guys at Frog all those years ago and try to get a shade of blue that is close to the colour scheme shown on the back of the box. Also, there appears to have been an extra fuel tank installed in the main cabin and a navigator's table (rather than passenger seats) and there were four crew in total - makes perfect sense on that sort of trip. Anything that can be seen through the side windows will need to go in.....

• Like 1

Nice choice for a build, it's a very attractive aircraft, quite a size as well! You are right about the Trailblazers, they make up into a good looking, themed, collection.

I favour the clear stands over the black ones, purely a personal choice there, both compliment any plane sat on them.

I've not tried it, but I would think the high gloss black would take a bright Alclad finish rather well.

I'll be following this one with interest.

tony.

• Thanks 1

Well done, John. The more the merrier. There appears to be lots of points for discussion on colours and markings etc. so lots to get confused about! The actual Fokker F.VIIB-3M aircraft itself seems to be a real pioneer in terms of commercial aviation so a very interesting subject. Good luck with your build. Mike.

• Thanks 1

Reference material has arrived - I thought I would get this book to learn all about the Southern Cross and its journeys directly from 'Smithy' himself!

q3ZdzOk.jpg

EhW42am.jpg

Here is an extract from the beginning of Chapter II which immediately impressed me

The “Southern Cross” is a monoplane that has been flown round the world about its greatest circumference – across the equator – which had carried an Australian airman over Arctic seas before she came into my possession, and which carried me and my companions across the Pacific, across Australia, across the Atlantic, across the American continent, and across the Tasman Sea several times.

It is natural, therefore, that I should take a pride in, and have an affection for, this wonderful craft that never failed me – though on occasions I may perhaps have asked too much of her. No matter what the severity of the tests imposed on her, she came through them all. She braved gales, fogs, blizzards, sandstorms and rainstorms : she carried cruel loads that were far too heavy for her : she was driven to the bitter limit, and she was flown over four continents and three oceans, and over some very treacherous seas.

As his ship is to the sailor and his horse to the rider, so is his plane to the airman. My affection for the “Southern Cross” and admiration for her designer and builders is increased when I reflect upon all she has done and all she has gone through.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 2

We're off! Main wing assembled - went together well - and stabilisers and engine nacelles assembled. Engines painted black - they look quite detailed but I'll need to check some pics of the real thing to see if anything major needs to be added. The Instructions aren't too clear about where exactly the seats go so I have dry fitted the fuselage halves to line up the cockpit seats with the windows etc. There are four seats provided and it does appear that there are places marked out for them in the main cabin. However, I wish to add in some detail there first. So far, zero flash and well fitting parts. Got a choice of two blues in hand but more on that later.

U54Qiuu.jpg

• Like 4

Lovely start Mike, she's already starting to look the part. On my way to work this morning I decided to pull over and take a few snaps of Smithy's real Fokker. It's painted up in the US '1985' registration to represent the 1928 Pacific crossing, however IMO the restorers have deviated from the period photographs somewhat. I'll upload my shots later tonight and (if you don't mind) will post them in this thread to illustrate what I'm saying. My take on the Blue fuselage is that it was quite light and possibly of a matt, chalky appearance. Its definitely not a dark blue such as Humbrol 15 (like the restored example), but you could possibly get away with that lighter blue in your image above. 

Cheers and I might take KSD (Kingsford-Smith Drive) on my way home tonight.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

As promised, here is the ‘Virtual tour’ of Smithy’s Fokker. She is housed in a glass enclosed air conditioned facility just opposite Brisbane Airports International Terminal. The front glass is angled, so it’s quite difficult to take proper photographs from this angle. If wanting to model this aircraft in 1928 guise, I wouldn’t model a kit on this finished example as it differs to period photographs and shows hints of its later engine and airframe modifications. 

Apologies for hi-jacking your thread Mike, however I’m hoping you find these photos appropriate to include within your GB build thread. 

Cheers.. Dave 

47984648532_cbcb1afd69_b.jpg

47984708086_ee37edb221_b.jpg

47984657298_7609f9de14_b.jpg

47984712366_35afa48f19_b.jpg

47984664477_a75b0517b9_b.jpg

47984712796_e5ba242744_b.jpg

47984661658_1609e7dab3_b.jpg

47984657657_07fc827b7b_b.jpg

47984651332_fdea74675e_b.jpg

47984661823_99f50c7e6f_b.jpg

• Like 13

Many many thanks for this Dave and your pics are so clear - you must have a 'decent' camera! My first port of call is trying to get the engines and props right and you've caught them beautifully. I'm aware of the different shape of nacelle fitted behind the outer engines at a later date so no worries there. I have a theory on the shade of blue for the fuselage - it was painted in the US so wouldn't it be similar to the blue appearing on their interwar planes, which tends to the lighter shade? Also, the colour inside would just remain 'canvas' with the tubular structure in aluminium or even primer type green. The kit has the correct single flap type access door on one side for the cabin and I have a ref pic of one of the pilots having to climb through a cockpit side window since that was blocked off by the additional fuel tanks. Great Stuff! Remember to make time for your builds. All the best. Mike.

• Like 2

Glad the photo's have come to good use Mike. I haven't visited the old bus in ages, now can you guess who's wanting to build one!! 

You're right about trying to get time for my own builds, I'll see to that from tomorrow when I enjoy a little break away from work. 

Cheers and always a pleasure to help... Dave 

• Like 2

Having decided to do the fuselage now, I had a look at some of the reference pics for the inside of the Southern Cross - passenger seats were out and a whacking great fuel tank, navigator's table and shelving for the several radio sets were in.

MTSJ0zZ.jpg

aM2TeEI.jpg

You can see from this picture that the nav and radio operator were just sitting inside a framework covered over with stretched canvas!!

I had a go at putting in some bulkheads to represent the additional fuel tank behind the pilots' seats and covered it over with thin pliable card. The top was shaped away from the fuselage sides to leave a gap for notes to be passed through to the pilots, using a stick, I believe!

Plastic tubing was cut to represent the fuselage framework behind the windows and a couple of shelves put in on the port side, since the access 'flap' is below the windows on the starboard side. A bit over-sized but a bit of a learning curve for me.

HAJfCpb.jpg

cufuiKI.jpg

The control wheels and switches are a bit two-dimensional on the provided instrument panel so I'll have a go at padding that out before painting the insides next.

• Like 9

This is looking great Mike. I love the way your detailing the interior which is always rewarding when the original is so basic. Researching the subject also helps you appreciate  the historical element, something I probably enjoy a little more than the build itself (yes, blasphemy I know!). 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Getting a bit of paint on - the engine and undercarriage struts and wheels etc. are easy in silver and I thought I'd brush paint the upper wing while the paint was out - I think I'll do the second coat and underside by spray. I tried out the H89 Mid Blue on the engine nacelles just to see how it looks.

Inside of the fuselage is 'Linen' and I've started painting 'wooden' table, shelves and floor. Painting the tubular structure is going to be a bit of a challenge now that it's all stuck in - I should have thought it out a bit better rather than getting carried away with building it in.

Surprisingly, the backs of the engine nacelles have been left 'open' but I believe there were oil tanks in there to feed the engines so I'm on the lookout for something handy to put in.

FaPHeh9.jpg

• Like 7

I love that huge wing Mike, it'll be a real stand-out all nice and shiny in Silver. Now I do highly recommend that if your thinking of spraying this wing (without using an airbrush), go and get yourself an aerosol can of Tamiya AS-12 Airframe Silver. it goes on beautifully, there is no need to prime it and its as tough as nails. The pigment is also very fine which is one of the most important factors when dealing with metallic paints. 

Cheers.. Dave  

• Thanks 1

Hi Mike Great choice of aircraft and interesting history too. There is something fascinating about Tri motor aircraft. I built the Airfix Ford Tri motor and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

You going great with your build and the interior looks fantastic.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2019 at 11:20, Rabbit Leader said:

I love that huge wing Mike, it'll be a real stand-out all nice and shiny in Silver. Now I do highly recommend that if your thinking of spraying this wing (without using an airbrush), go and get yourself an aerosol can of Tamiya AS-12 Airframe Silver. it goes on beautifully, there is no need to prime it and its as tough as nails. The pigment is also very fine which is one of the most important factors when dealing with metallic paints. 

Cheers.. Dave  

Many thanks, Dave. I actually did have my hands on a can of Tamiya AS-12 at my LMS last week but put it down again, finding it was acrylic and I was worried about how it would react on top of the brush painted enamel already on. (I'm surprised I had spare hands for anything because I couldn't resist taking away a couple of new kits, as well as the supplies of plastic sheets/tubes/strips etc.) I eventually picked up a can of Rustoleum Silver Metallic and that's what I have used - however, I see the word 'acrylic' on that can as well - must have been compatible anyway. I'll definitely pick up the Tamiya next time.

On 06/06/2019 at 11:43, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Mike Great choice of aircraft and interesting history too. There is something fascinating about Tri motor aircraft. I built the Airfix Ford Tri motor and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

You going great with your build and the interior looks fantastic.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Many thanks, Chris - yes, reading up on the Ford Tri motor, there are a lot of similarities in design with the Fokker F.VIIB-3m, the big difference being though that the Ford was all-metal rather than a wood and canvas covered frame.

So more touch ups  done on the fuselage internals (including rattan type cushion & back details on the seats which you can't see), all sorts of radio boxes put in, the crew painted and on board (two more figures borrowed from the Novo 'Katyuska' which are surprisingly similar in form to those included with this kit). 

Engines have had an impression of magnetos added (I couldn't reproduce the triangular flanges upon which they sit) and I noted that in fact the engine cylinders have exhaust stubs pointing to the rear, which I will pick out with some different paint. I had considered adding wiring to the engines but it really is small scale and I don't want to obliterate the cylinder detail which is actually quite good.

The wheels do turn, after sanding down the hubs slightly and the intention is for the props to spin. Engine nacelles given another coat of the H89 Mid blue. I have cut away the internal frame work which was visible behind the windows as it was far too thick and which I couldn't paint in position - lesson learned.

zBqBrcz.jpg

No uniforms for the intrepid crew other than common flying caps so we have 'Smithy' in the cockpit left hand seat in a black leather coat and tan boots, Charles Ulm in the right hand seat in a brown leather coat and black boots (this figure seemed taller), Captain (RN) Harry Lyon in the cabin at the desk in a dark green suit and James Warner seated beside the shelves crammed with the radio gear. I just highlighted the details on the main cockpit instrument panel so it is a bit two-dimensional but I felt enough time had been spent on the internals which will end up invisible. All a bit rough round the edges but all good practice. Some matt varnish may help.

VJ5jENv.jpg

E3nEU4o.jpg

JcZiZ0b.jpg

Fuselage is closed up - very good fit here with no gaps although the seam will get a bit of sanding. Rudder and stabilisers on plus the re-inforcing struts underneath. There was only one strut in this kit so I raided the other copy of this kit that I have - it only had one strut as well!

cmB4mGG.jpg

Smithy and Ulm seem to be able to see out over the nose OK - I hope we can see them once the main wing goes on!  

nZafNBh.jpg

Upper fuselage window is in - it pushes up from underneath similar to the side windows to keep the framing flush. Last look at the cockpit detail here.

uZVIU7i.jpg

Fairly roomy in the cabin and I've just remembered that I still need to put in the main compass, which will probably take up the remaining space on the cabin floor.

If you read the book 'My Flying Life', you find out that the only communication possible between the cabin and the cockpit is by passed notes and the noise of the engines through the open side windows of the cockpit means that the pilots could not hear each other. Conversely, the cockpit is pretty cramped and apparently on one later flight, Ulm gets up to have a stretch and the starboard engine cuts out. Gulp! He had inadvertently hit the on/off switch when moving  - Smithy spotted that and switched it on again! 

CEnuoo8.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 10

Lovely work on all those internals Mike. I know you won't be able to see much once the fuse is all buttoned up however you have these great photos, this thread and a wonderfull piece of realistic history all wrapped up in 1/72 scale. From what I can see, that top wing has turned out well so plonk it on and it will all start to look like a Fokker. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, it's great fun. I'm thinking ahead to the decals already - but how do I locate the 'Stars' of the Southern Cross on the fuselage sides correctly? You've caught them on your 'walkaround' pictures and there must be some connection with the positioning on the Aussie flag, I think.  All the best, Mike.

To be honest Mike, I’ve never taken too much notice of the Southern Cross Stars although they should always show the smaller ‘five pointer’ in the south east position. I’d say the restored example has these about right. Are the kits decals identical for both sides? If so that would be correct. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Just catching up with this one. 

I built the Eastern Express (I think), re-pop a few years ago, but was far too lazy to even think about adding an interior!  Yours looks much better for the extra detail :thumbsup2:

• Thanks 1