F262 McDonnell Douglas F-4K Phantom - DONE

Dermo245

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

I have a couple of old Airfix magazines I picked up at a car boot.

The January 1976 edition has an shop advert for the Frog Phantom, price, 75p!

The March 1976 edition has a review of the then new Matchbox Phantom and criticises the faults around the nose/cockpit.

Also in March, a shop was advertising some Frog kits at half price, as little as 28p!

Pete

I thought I had the 1975 Frog tooling in my collection but it turns out I don't (or at least I can't find it!) so I did the next best thing and searched for a Review by looking through my Airfix Magazines from 1975 to 1977 and lo and behold there was no Review that I could find.  I also looked at all of the Ads and it appears that people may not have been aware that it was a new Frog tooling and not a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit as one Business after advertising it for a couple of months then listed it as "(new)" as if to highlight that it was a new tooling and not a rebox.  

Recently at the ModelExpo Swop and Sell (otherwise known as the Smell, Sloth, and Flies) I thought I had found this 1975 boxing but it was the old trick of the end of the box advertising the Phantom kit as another kit in the range but the actual box and kit was the Sea Vixen so I missed out on getting one there.  

Just a comment on Airfix Magazine during this period looking at three years worth in such a short period you can certainly see it go down hill in terms of quality during this period.  One thing of interest which could lead to a "Where are they now?" type Post was a photo and caption of 11 year old "Nigel Whitley" as the 100 000 th Airfix Modellers Club Member visiting the Factory and being presented with his Membership Certificate by the then Airfix CEO.  Wonder where "Nigel Whitley" is now and what he remembers of his trip?  

• Like 3

I don't have my Scale Models Magazines here so can't look through them so has anyone who has them looked for a Review of the later Frog Phantom in this period in time?  Be really weird if Scale Models didn't review it as well!  

Any one have any luck looking at their Scale Models Magazines?  

I stumbled across this old Thread

and while I don't doubt there may be other Thread it looks like the Kit did go "under the Radar" when released but also it appears to be one of those Topics that surfaces about every decade!  

I've just had a look at an old card index I did of Scale Models and Scale Aircraft Modelling (up to the early 1990s) and the FROG retools seem to have gone under the radar - no Scale Models review for any of the three until Geoff Prentice got hold of a Novo Lightning.

Time for some modelling on this one! 

Sanding, sanding and.....some more sanding, we got to this.

48194911627_96644d5db2_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(11) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then a little scribing here and there. Not at all accurate (or good). Have outlined in pencil so you can see it. Think I need to replace my scribing tool tip!

48194911537_27168503dd_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(12r) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

As promised @Doccur, here's my entry in the Frog-cockpit competition - you can't quite make it out but looks like there are deckchair lines in the floor. 😂 So this must be the Mk.6 sun-lounger..

48194911457_0a06aa2b36_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(13) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And how they look with the integrated seat tops - all of this will be going, replaced by a spare F-4 cockpit and seats from the spares box.

48194869261_1cc3ac469f_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(14) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More later, thanks for looking,

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

So started hacking away at the moulded cockpit...top half done with bottom half to follow. Think I'll also need to thin the cockpit edges.

48313781321_d5f4de7746_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(15) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

A little blurry (sorry) but you get the idea...

48313900727_a0d00b16ed_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(16) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Then started opening up the rear sides for these little intakes (?)

48313781241_6373415309_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(17) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Will box them in with plastic card.

48313781261_81b2d20e49_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(18) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And the replacement cockpit which is donated from the spares box (from an Italeri F-4 I think).

48313900592_810483c2cc_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_cockpit(19) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks for looking!
Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 11

Good to see this one still on the workbench Dermot, the extra detailing looks good and will add so much more to the build when finished.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Right so, must get the finger out to be finished in time!

48802662563_bdba20dc35_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(20) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And after a first coat of primer and then paint.

48802662578_5bb763b55c_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(21) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The back-seater fell out so need to reattach.

48802662548_54d9817cf6_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(22) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And some paint mask bleed to be tidied up.

48803013276_94a73ba8f1_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(23) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Onwards and upwards.

Thanks for looking,

Dermot

• Like 10

Nice to see this one back on track Dermot. I was having a quick scan through the build list and did notice this thread had been fairly quiet. I must admit, I'm guilty of not updating mine too much towards the end and then bang.... its finished! 

Cheers and best of luck getting this Phantom through before the following Sunday.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:26 AM, Dermo245 said:

The back-seater fell out

Ejected!

Always loved the Phantom, so glad to see this build back on track. looking forward to seeing it take shape.

Cheers,

• Haha 1

Well done Dermot 

Great to see this Phantom coming to life.

Bit frightening to see the difference between the original Frog cockpit and the Italeri one, things have certainly changed over the years !

Keep going, it's looking the business 

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Home stretch with this one.

Glossed and decaled, all from the kit followed by another coat of gloss and Flory Models wash,

48887449992_25866d1716_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(24) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cleaned off and started adding last few bits.

48890611328_7f92f3f66e_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_(25) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Just wondering - should the final finish be Satin, Gloss or Matt? Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 7

Hi Dermot,

Last night I was reading the article in Airfix Model World where they built the test shot of the then new Airfix F4K. They said the finish was originally gloss but weathered failry quickly to satin and then matt so take your pick! I never use full gloss as I think it is too much - almost "toy like"so I would do it in satin.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dermot 

Lovely work mate. If it turns out too glossy, just imagine it's a Irish summer's day, yes piddling down hence it's shinyness !

Cheers Pat 

Edited by Mike
Language Pat!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

That's looking very nice Dermot.

As to finish, I would go for satin or matt. Either will be correct and look fine. Satin may be easier. Once they got the matt look they tended to look very weathered, a harder finish to achieve.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

As to finish, I would go for satin or matt.

Well, it depends.

Going by the lack of colourful tail markings, we could be looking at a 700P aircraft and a new and glossy finish might not be out of order. I get the impression, however, that Phantom Phactory Extra Dark Sea Grey was a bit light and the tiniest bit blue. Real EDSG has no blue in it when fresh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough somebody, I think it was Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies (Colourcoats etc) was saying recently on the forum that EDSG was prone to fading fairly rapidly (apologies if my memory is going Jamie) so I suppose that could explain the blue tinge it sometimes shows. I have certainly seen it on some kits when the lighting is just right - otherwise it just looks dark grey.

Pete

• Like 1

I'd err on what period you are trying to represent with this Phantom Dermot. Unless you've used a pure gloss paint from the start, you're unlikely to get a real gloss finish anyway (perhaps that's just me), so if its a new bird I'd see how it looks with a nice gloss coat first. If it's too shiny, a quick hit with a Satin will knock it down a bit. Finding the perfect final finish is never easy, however you'll know when it happens so just leave it and don't be tempted to over do it. She's looking lovely. 

Cheers.. Dave.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Unless you've used a pure gloss paint from the start, you're unlikely to get a real gloss finish anyway (perhaps that's just me),

There is no problem with getting pure gloss finish on matte background

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the comments, really appreciated.

The colour is a home-made mix as it was all I had available at the time. The kit decals are for the first a/c (XT 595) so should probably be very shiny.

As it's a 50+ year old kit and decals, will go the Satin finish and will be happy with that.

Cheers!
Dermot

• Like 4

21 hours ago, smellybeard said:

Real EDSG has no blue in it when fresh.

I'd have to disagree there, but using numbers to be objective.

Real Extra Dark Sea Grey is a distinct purple-blue with a stronger bias towards blue than red.

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp?cRange=BS Other&cRef=BS 640&metallic2=False

L 35.14 a-2.13 (i.e. red) b-3.96 (i.e. twice as blue as red)

Those a*b values are sufficiently strong that nobody in industry would call it a neutral grey.

• Like 2