F262 McDonnell Douglas F-4K Phantom - DONE

Dermo245

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'd have to disagree there, but using numbers to be objective.

Numbers from a website are numbers from a website; they're not paint and they and the website didn't exist when the first F-4K was painted.

There's objective for you.

7 hours ago, smellybeard said:

Numbers from a website are numbers from a website; they're not paint and they and the website didn't exist when the first F-4K was painted.

There's objective for you.

The website was for ease of reference for your benefit. I am well aware that the website did not exist when the Phantoms were built.

What I know and you apparently don't however is that tables of published colour coordinates have accompanied the British Standards for paint colours for decades before the Phantoms were built. The specifications for Extra Dark Sea Grey have not changed in the applicable time span. I could have scanned the relevant table of from my paper copy of BS381C, hosted it and posted but I suspect I'd still have received the same type of response only it would have taken me more time.

Here's an explanation of how the colour coordinates work and hopefully should cast some light on how people who make paint industrially use them:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIELAB_color_space

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm tempted to post that PM here. I think it's best if we do not converse any further.

Good call gents. This Classic kit GB has been a huge success and we’ve all had a tonne of fun over the last few months building our Frog kits to the best of our abilities. It would be a shame to see any of these threads develop into an argument of sorts, so  thanks for respecting the wishes of the GB members on here, especially @Dermo245

Cheers and kind regards.. Dave 

• Like 3

Although this seemed to have stopped now thanks to Jamie's self-control, I would advise both parties to cease with the hostilities, disrupting poor Dermo's thread.

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies if the PM is rude and aggressive so that it breaches the "Polite & Respectful" tenets of the site, us Mods would in interested in seeing a copy.  Up to you though :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So with the last bits added (and fixed), she's done!

Happy to get it finished and kinda-looks like a Phantom from across the room 

48923202673_8270348534_b.jpg

48923739541_49cbd33b39_b.jpg

48923738811_a37fe92e92_b.jpgFrog F-4K M Phantom_Done_19 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

48923203198_ea090f8d5b_b.jpg

Thanks to @JOCKNEY @Rabbit Leader and @vppelt68 for the GB and all your comments and suggestions.

Will post some more pics in the Gallery and looking forward to the next classic kit GB.

Happy modelling.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 10

On 5/27/2019 at 12:56 PM, Dermo245 said:

Those with a love of UK Phantoms, the Fleet Air Arm.....and any dose of accuracy, please look away for the next few months

To an extent I followed this advice... however the end result certainly looks like a UK Phantom and this is a type that certainly deserves to be in the gallery. An excellent outcome.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations Dermot 

If i ever get my finger out and build a Phantom ill base it on this one.

There is something very special about a Royal Navy Phantom and you have captured it perfectly. 

Cheers Pat 

• Thanks 1

Well it ain’t a Spitfire Dermot! That’s certainly a combat machine from the McDonnell stable and I must say, it’s dressed up rather nicely in those RN colours. You’ve done a might fine job and it looks great.

Cheers and thanks so much for taking part.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...
1 minute ago, Lastvautour said:

Can illuminate me? Is this an F-4J or K?

I believe this old kit is closer to an F-4B!
It's the original Hasegawa tool, and they just added different Rolls Royce engine nozzles to their F-4J boxing.
It certainly isn't really a Spey engined variant, but it was the best anyone could hope for in the late 1960s!

• Like 1