A13 Mk.ll Cruiser Tank Mk.lV.

I believe that this was Bronco’s second issue of an A13, and as such, it had the individual track links which were a whole lot better than the original (too short) rubber band offerings. I never did get around to correcting the engine deck, but I will with the two others that I’ve got in the stash. All in all, it’s quite a nice kit to build with not too many surprises. I finished it as a tank of the 10th Hussars, based in France in 1940. As far as I can remember, it was built OOTB and finished with Tamiya paints in a G3/G4 greens camouflage. The figure is from Hornet.

123f4151-1c8e-40de-9c5c-d8df031c19ad.JPG

0917a0f1-32ff-491b-bde1-46b09c8044b4.JPG

e8d34f8f-6b4f-4737-9314-22730ded9291.JPG

d9556e89-7a22-4cc5-9594-f204273800dd.JPG

Thanks for looking.

John.

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

A very nice build,kit companies dont do many British tanks and I for one think thats a shame,not everyone likes tigers,panthers and the like!!Well done sir.:clap2:

mohawk

Thanks a lot Mohawk, and I couldn't agree with you more. Apart from the Pz.lll, I don't touch German armour.

John.

• Like 1

Nicely done!:goodjob:

I have Bronco's third boxing in the stash which I'm currently intending doing as a vehicle of 5RTR in North Africa, although the tininess of the indy link tracks is putting me off.:blink:

Mike.

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

I have Bronco's third boxing in the stash which I'm currently intending doing as a vehicle of 5RTR in North Africa, although the tininess of the indy link tracks is putting me off.:blink:

Mike.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I think that is the one that I've got in my stash too. Don't worry about the track links. I'll put some photos on tomorrow showing how to assemble them using a home made jig. It's a fairly easy job....just boring.

John.

16 hours ago, MikeR said:

Mike.

Here you go as promised. The text is copied and pasted for a magazine article that I did a few years ago.

"Trying to assemble these is not the easiest thing that I’ve ever done, but I made the task simpler by making up a jig (see photo). It’s just a piece of balsa wood with two parallel strips of thick card (A&B) glued to it, the width of the tracks apart, with another piece ( C )glued at one end to act as a stop. Another piece of card, (D) the same width as the tracks was cut, and this was used to push up and keep the links in place while the solvent glue was applied."

e4aca0df-7258-4468-9849-a6206d2b3e7f.jpg

I used card and balsa so that liquid glue (MEK) could be applied and not have them stick to the jig.

HTH's.

John.

Edited by Bullbasket
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

That is a great looking Cruiser John - and yes - nice to see an older British armour kit :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

'Morning Stix, and many thanks for the comments. This was from a few years back, but it's made me want to have a go at the other two A13's that I have.

John.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I believe that this was Bronco’s second issue of an A13, and as such, it had the individual track links which were a whole lot better than the original (too short) rubber band offerings. I never did get around to correcting the engine deck, but I will with the two others that I’ve got in the stash.

I thought that Bronco had modified the tooling on later releases to correct the misplaced engine deck louvres and panel lines, although I may be wrong. Great build by the way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AntPhillips said:

I thought that Bronco had modified the tooling on later releases to correct the misplaced engine deck louvres and panel lines, although I may be wrong.

Thanks Ant. Yes, you're right, Bronco did modify the engine deck on the later A13's, but not this one. I've got the first issue with the (too short) rubber band tracks and this one. The decks are the same in so far as the louvres slope the wrong way and the hinges on the opening panels are in the wrong place. But on the last issue, A13 Mk.ll, Cruiser Tank Mk.lVa, they have corrected it (thankfully, as I'm just about to make start on that one).

John. 

Now that's a very handy tip there John, thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

I did discover that the all newest rereleases of the Bronco A13 family have the rejigged engine deck. I'm not sure if the mistake with the spaced armour on the turret face (only the example at Bovington had that feature) on the second boxing has been fixed, however. The third release and the two Beutepanzer boxings had all the corrected parts included from the start.

Mike.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Nice work on tank & figure. The name Agility must be wishful thinking!

Pete

6 hours ago, Carius said:

Very very nice A13 my friend :cheers:

Thanks both of you for the kind words.

John.

Great seeing a British tank built and very nice job on it. Thanks for posting the jig for making up the tracks too.  Now instead of paper panzers maybe someone will be brave enough to to a Matilda Mark I for us early British armor fans. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, cduckworth said:

Great seeing a British tank built and very nice job on it. Thanks for posting the jig for making up the tracks too.  Now instead of paper panzers maybe someone will be brave enough to to a Matilda Mark I for us early British armor fans. 

Thanks CD. You never know. Who would have thought that we would get A13's, A9's and A10's, not to mention the Vickers tank.

John.

10 hours ago, ijs302 said:

a very nicely finished kit and a equally nice crew member this could get me tempted to try 1/35 one day

Thanks very much. Be careful, it can become addictive. For 40 years, I built nothing but aircraft, and then I tried some armour in 1/35th scale. The rest, as they say, is history.

John.

1 hour ago, McNab said:

Very nice work, sir! I like the fact you haven’t weathered it to death 😊 

cheers

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. I kept the weathering to a minimum after looking at photos of knocked out A13's. Considering what they had been through, they weren't that dirty.

John.

• Like 1