Airfix Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat (Starter Kit)

Having finished the 'Old Tool' Frog and Airfix versions of the Grumman Wildcat / Martlet for the Grumman GB, I wanted to carry on and do the new tool Airfix kits - I've seen so many great builds of these on BM.

I've been knocking away at the Starter Kit version (kit no. A55214) which actually gives an F4F-4 of VC-12, number 3 (46685) from USS Core (CVE-13) in 1944 - this is different to the versions in the first issue kit no. A02070 (which I also have tucked away for a future build). I also picked up the Martlet IV version, kit no. A02074  so I could build the different engine option.

XNSvi47.jpg

This all started in March and the build has included sessions during trips away and even travelling backwards in a train from London! I must say at this point that this is my very first build of one of the modern 'new tool' kits of any manufacturer and also the very first time using acrylic paints on a model. 

xxQBCw1.jpg

Nevertheless, I found the build to be a joy - excellent fit of parts and no filler required anywhere. I used Tamiya Extra Thin  cement for the first time and now am a confirmed disciple. I appreciated the quick drying nature of the paints but became aware you need to watch out for damage as it can get knocked off edges quite easily. Decals behaved beautifully on top of some 'Future' type gloss coat and the whole finished off with Matt Cote.

Here's the little beauty then - I love this white and sea grey scheme (H34 / H27) and the highline demarcation on the fuselage. No masking employed here, other than for the yellow prop tips, and I felt like a real artist sweeping away with both flat and detailing brushes. 

Lmjl7RZ.jpg

8ai78zf.jpg

1MuVmi5.jpg

During the build, I was giving the part-assembled kit a bit of a wash in preparation for more paint and I managed to knock off one of the exhaust pipes and rather than feed the carpet monster, it disappeared into the maw of the sink monster! Rather than pinching from one of the other kits, I bit the bullet and made up another exhaust port from some suitable cable insulation, reamed out with a sharp drill - managed to ream out an index finger at the same time.

rW3w8Tm.jpg

zIngK7o.jpg

SQM7poG.jpg

There was a bit of a mystery about the engine because the rear set of cylinders came with a moulded spigot which stuck out forward where the rotating prop shaft is supposed to go. This must have been a moulding error and it was quite hard to cut off as it's base was countersunk in. I did it pretty roughly and horror of horrors, once the engine was assembled, the propshaft would not spin - absolute hell for me!

The cockpit assembly was enjoyable and you are given H117 (US Light Green) for this. Decals for the instruments are a good idea but you are already given moulded detail on the main IP. I did the canopy closed version and I liked how the closed canopy sat up slightly above the rear fuselage immediately behind so it looks like it will slide back. On the older toolings, it looks like they were content to have the canopy sit flush/level with the fuselage.

I did this kit as wheels up but the Instructions for wheels down show a superbly detailed undercarriage and bay, which I look forward to building on the Martlet IV version. I had to look twice at the Instructions but they have you chopping the pilot's lower legs off if you want to sit him in the cockpit! Surely he could have been molded to suit? Also, no stand provided with this kit so I had to pull out an old style spare and cut a slot in the fuselage to display this kit in flight.

Now here we have the new tool F4F-4 in formation with her older siblings - new tool or old tool, modelling is definitely fun! Glad I got this one finished so I can clear the decks for the Classic Frog GB!

QzOyqSo.jpg

dt1aTCj.jpg

5OF3oxw.jpg

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 12