Special Hobby 1/72nd Sunderland Mk.V!!***FINISHED***

On 5/27/2020 at 11:29 PM, The Spadgent said:

There’s a lot of edsg sloshing around at the moment. 👌 lovely stuff. Would you recommend this kit ? Looks rather nice.

John

Hiya John,...... yeah and lots more EDSG to slop around yet mate! Would I recommend the kit? Well it depends how much you want a Sunderland Mk.V really. It is a nice kit on the sprues,..... better than the Italeri kits in that respect,..... but mine seemed warped and the fit was awful,..... however it isn`t impossible, it just needs plenty of fettling!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Hiya Folks,..... a bit of an update,....... I took the masking off last night but there had been some seepage,..... so I re masked it,..... sprayed some more white,..... and then did some light sanding,....... I need another coat of EDSG yet but I`ll free hand it and try to tidy things up a bit, especually around the engine nacelles,......probably tonight`s job? Here is the model so far;

DSCF8069.jpg

Oh I opened up the portholes by removing the masking from inside the fuselage too! They will be glazed using Kleerfix later on.

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 12

Probably doesn`t look much,..... but cleaned the model up a bit and put the gloss on ready for the decals;

DSCF8074.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 14
  • Sad 1

You've handled a difficult build very well. Thanks for the inspiration. Looking forward to the end result.

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Looking great Tony, love the MR5 version.

Quick check on the grey in front of the windscreen.  Were the RAF ones EDSG?  Pretty sure the RNZAF ones were black in that same scheme....just a thought?

Lovely build

Cheers Anthony

Cheers Anthony,..... yeah the RAF ones, especially around the time of the Berlin Airlift were EDSG mate, it is definitely not black on the reference photos. Here is one in the markings I`m doing the model as, PP117, 4X-W of 230 Sqn;

EAW024847-NEW.jpg

And another later in its service after it had the fuselage roundel changed to a later style and the upper surfaces painted MSG;

1gelxilfcbq0r-iulh5w-village-inn1.jpg

I think that black anti glare panels were a latish addition to Kiwi boats, I`ve seen them with MSG in front of the cockpit too,

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

You've handled a difficult build very well. Thanks for the inspiration. Looking forward to the end result.

Thanks mate,..... it has been a struggle for sure,...... but will be nice to finally have a Mk.V in the collection!

52 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Oops! I've just accidentally put a 'sad' emoticon on your last photo, Tony, when I meant to put a 'like'! Big fingers, little phone icons...

Anyway, 'like' - lots!

Jon

LOL,.... no worries and cheers Jon,...... glad you like it mate! 

This is looking good too. I'm mulling over whether to get one of these for one of ours I saw flying as a kid, easier than converting the old Airfix mk III possibly. This would be one of the aircraft that flew into the Havel See (?) during the airlift? 

Steve.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, woody37 said:

Looks like your winning mate, looking forwards to seeing the decals on :)

Thanks Neil,.....yeah decals are on now!

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

This is looking good too. I'm mulling over whether to get one of these for one of ours I saw flying as a kid, easier than converting the old Airfix mk III possibly. This would be one of the aircraft that flew into the Havel See (?) during the airlift? 

Steve.

Thanks Steve,..... it is no `shake and bake' kit,..... but I`m quite happy with it,..... nice to have a Mk.V to be fair. Yes I wanted to replicte a Berlin Airlift aircraft which flew between Hamburg and the Havel See.

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

Another update,...... decals on! I used mostly kit decals but replaced the fuselage roundel and fin stripes as I wanted to replicate PP117 earlier in its career with the unit when it still wore wartime style markings;

DSCF8084-NEW.jpg

DSCF8085-NEW.jpg

Still quite a way to go,..... but at least this milestone has passed!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Really good Suderland !! 

Congrats Tony !

I always stay in awe when seeing one !!

Great choice of paint scheme too !!

CC

Thanks mate,...... it is definitely an impressive aeroplane for sure. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tony: this is looking really good.  What's your plan for attaching the cockpit transparency?  Were you leaving it off to minimize the chances of dust invasion?

Thanks mate,...... yes,.... after my Hercules where dust was everywhere I decided to leave it off until the end. I`ll just fix it with clearfix,....no problem, I`ve already test fitted it. Same with the portholes,...... clearfix.  

Excellent Tony, and thanks for clarification on the paint.  Wasn't trying to be a pain, just making sure such a beautiful build was up to scratch, 😉  glad you took it in the manner it was ment.

I am dreading seeing it finished because it will mean I will want to go out and get the kit!

Cheers Anthony 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Excellent Tony, and thanks for clarification on the paint.  Wasn't trying to be a pain, just making sure such a beautiful build was up to scratch, 😉  glad you took it in the manner it was ment.

I am dreading seeing it finished because it will mean I will want to go out and get the kit!

Cheers Anthony 

Hey no problems mate,....... no offence taken at all,..... and thanks for your kind words.  I`ve bought another,....and hopefully this one came out of the mould a bit better than the one I`m building now which was hopefully just a rogue one off. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

That looks marvellous! Special Hobby should have you on their sales team...

Regards,

Adrian

LOL,..... Thanks Adrian! 

Hiya Folks,

A bit more progress,.....................

I`ve applied a watercolour wash, attached the engines and done some detail painting including the propellers;

DSCF8089.jpg

DSCF8090.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 23

Cor Mister, that's nice.

Been a long time coming, but like the last bus on a wet night worth the wait. Your recent activity has made me get mine out (oooer  no missus)!

Not long to RFI

Box On

Strickers

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HAMP man said:

Cor Mister, that's nice.

Been a long time coming, but like the last bus on a wet night worth the wait. Your recent activity has made me get mine out (oooer  no missus)!

Not long to RFI

Box On

Strickers

LOL,...... nice one Strickers,...... I`ll look forward to seeing your built mate,..... hopefully a bit easier than mine?

Cheers

Tony