Special Hobby 1/72nd Sunderland Mk.V!!***FINISHED***

On 5/28/2019 at 8:11 PM, Mr T said:

Having recently bought the kit from an emporium in Halifax, I will watch this with interest. I plan on building mine as one of the aircraft involved in the Yangtse Incident. I understand the aircraft turrets were armed for these missions. 

Further to my last,..... re the Yangstze  Incident,.... the aircraft was ML772 of 88 Sqn which was coded D but the code letter had been painted over. NJ176 was brought in to replace it after it suffered battle damage, but it was not needed for any more ferrying operation to the ship. I`m reading about it,.... so if I find out about the guns I`ll update yo.

Cheers

Tony  

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Tony, somewhere in old Air Enthusiast there was an article about the Sunderlands and the Yangtse Incident, I will have to look for it. 

• Like 1

Found the article in Air Enthusiast number 38, written by Ken Delve. He states the the aircraft were armed and provides a photo of ML772 taken at Shanghai from NJ176 during the  crisis that clearly shows the code letter, but no guns, presumably removed after the damage that necessitated the return to Hong Kong for repairs 

• Like 1

Right then,..... a bit of an update!

The fuselage has gone together,........ it took quite a bit of tape to hold it all together and a clamp,........ the fit wasn`t brilliant but hopefully we`ve got there! One of the fuselage halves had the front rim of the nose missing, so I`ve stuck in a bit of sprue to sand to shape later;

resized_68760c89-6d5d-4117-b968-ce3928e4

The kit comes with optional rear sections for the mid upper turret,..... again the fit isn`t the best..... I`ve gone for the removed and daired over turret;

resized_7a3a5b5a-698b-4ae1-ab35-1b3bd8d4

A closer view of the mid upper section;

resized_bf07f1b1-0954-477a-a5d9-f73e3b07

And here is where we stand now,..... the fit of the underside step isn`t great and will require some whittling....... but we are getting there!!

resized_e96adc2e-60ed-43cb-b53e-32be4ac4

Cheers

Tony  

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, Putty Animal said:

That's some rapid progress for such a large beast.  Have you glued the two halves together?  I'm curious how you will take the tape out of the windows.

Thanks,..... yes I have glued the halves together,..... the tape,.....I`ve already practiced removing it using tweezers through the portholes before I joined the halves,..... don`t worry I thought of that one. I want to keep lots of plastic and filler dust out,....plus the paint later as I`ll be using rattle can white. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Not using the trained mouse on this one then?

Clearfix windows I assume

If it just clipped together it would be snap fit model and not a challenge, (a bit like the coracle - see Barry Welsh is Coming on youtube)

Nice progess

Box On

Strickers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAMP man said:

Not using the trained mouse on this one then?

Clearfix windows I assume

If it just clipped together it would be snap fit model and not a challenge, (a bit like the coracle - see Barry Welsh is Coming on youtube)

Nice progess

Box On

Strickers

Cheers mate,..... yeah Clearfix windows,....... the kit ones were just too much and I`d only end up knocking them back in while trying to mask them!

Very true about snap fix,..... I`m actually really enjoying it,..... the sanding does hurt my back, but I`m looking forward to a Sunderland V in my collection at last. I went and bought another,.....so that tells you something,...... either that or I`m a masochist!! 

All the best

Tony

• Like 1

Great work so far Tony, I'm liking what I'm seeing and as I've always wanted to do a Sunderland MR.5 I'm really going to have to get one.

That spine insert is none too pretty though!  I'm already thinking about how to fix it without creating a step - judicious sanding and shims should do the trick, I can't help but thinking it's going to need some internal support to stop it flexing whilst you're working it.

Good luck, I shall be following with interest.

• Like 1

Those dorsal and step inserts make sense of why the Italeri mk.I had visible marks for mould inserts to suit the mk.III; and presumably vice versa!

Hope the panel lines are consistent both sides and wings on the SH.  Unlike the Italeri where either each side was done by guys who fell out, or else the same guy did one side on the Friday afternoon!  I also hope SH made the wing roots the same depth on the fuse as the wings, and as each side...you can guess which Italian model company decided that was an optional extra...

I look forward to seeing how your Mk.V comes out, looks good so far.  

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Hiya Folks,..... it has been a while and I think this model gave me modellers block,........ but I finally bit the bullet and got some coarse grit sanding sticks and blocks out to tackle the fuselage seams,........ which took quite a bit of elbow grease and filler!!!

With that done the wings were fitted and again the fit was poor,...... with the wing roots being deeper than the wings themselves with quite large gaps despite the sanding to make them flatter. The tail surfaces were also attached and then the filler came out gain;

DSCF7065.jpg

DSCF7066.jpg

DSCF7067.jpg

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 15

• 5 months later...

Hiya Folks,

Been a while on this one,....... but just got some more sanding done today on the Sunderland;

DSCF7993.jpg

DSCF7994.jpg

I need to make a new part for the nose where the thin part has snapped off above the bomb aimers panel.

Cheers for now,

Tony

• Like 12

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey that is putting up a fight Tony,  looking good though now.

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,...... got to get my arm exercise in somewhere,......may as well sand this kit within an inch of its life! I`ll be looking like Garth soon!  

On 5/27/2019 at 5:10 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... but don`t expect too much,..... I seem to be struggling with models at the moment,...... feels like I`ve got butterfingers!! 

Cheer

Tony

I CAN appreciate this.  I am the only person in my household authorized to drop my models, and I can assure you that every major project has had an encounter with gravity at least once, and sometimes several times.  This is a great and worthy subject, as Operation Knickers / Vittles is a passion of mine.  I love a good humanitarian airlift, and this thing will make an impressive display.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I CAN appreciate this.  I am the only person in my household authorized to drop my models, and I can assure you that every major project has had an encounter with gravity at least once, and sometimes several times.  This is a great and worthy subject, as Operation Knickers / Vittles is a passion of mine.  I love a good humanitarian airlift, and this thing will make an impressive display.

Cheers mate,.... yeah I know what you mean,.....my missus knocked one of my models onto the kitchen floor tonight,... smashed the undercarriage! I`m a fan of the Berlin Airlift too and transports in general,...... the fact that these aircraft can do good as well as harm is an attraction....hence why I did my Bristol Bombay as an ambulance aircraft.

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Folks,..... well I`ve been away from this one for a while,...... and popping in every time to do a bit here and there,.....sanding it mostly,...... but tonight I got the first coat of paint on,....... Humbrol acrylic Matt White,...... to be followed by Tamiya Pure White which is glossier and more decal ready;

DSCF8056.jpg

The smaller parts such as turrets, nacelles etc are being painted seperately.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11

Hiya Folks,..... here is the model with the first two coats of Extra Dark Sea Grey on the upper surfaces;

DSCF8065-NEW.jpg

DSCF8065.jpg

Although I`m representing a post war aircraft,....... at the time of the Berlin Airlift it was still in its wartime colours and not the Medium Sea Grey uppers which were applied later on. I just hope that the masking tape has done its job properly!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 11