Special Hobby 1/72nd Sunderland Mk.V!!***FINISHED***

Hiya Folks,...... well we`ve been waiting for this one for some time,..... and it is finally here!!

abfe14be-4b1d-4a00-9fde-87d2ef7ed375.jpg

I`ve not fully decided on the option I`ll be choosing yet,...... but I would like a Berlin Airlift aircraft,...... there is one on the decal sheet but I`m not sure on the later Mediun Sea Grey upper surfaces or the post war roundel,...... I may go for wartime EDSG and C1 Type roundel? I`ll do some more research;

04fd07f0-ed0a-45cc-a9cb-9dcd451a046c.jpg

Onto the model,....... well although the kit is obviously based on the Italeri kit,..... the panel detail is much finer, which will please many people. 

baf74bfe-0fc1-4819-9adc-52f96f0f847e.jpg

f850c680-34ad-4077-909d-4e71853614ae.JPG

916a992f-1804-4980-97ef-de521b5388ec.jpg

fdd2e016-2b13-4a51-9b09-06378837f074.jpg

And here is the interior of the model painted up, with the waist gun windows cut out and opened up, as was the rear entrance door too;

resized_0f610fdf-5255-4f7b-b539-32f26de8

resized_214c64a5-5523-4b25-8239-35ed64be

resized_84e2e071-1eff-49ff-8597-66d3b842

Here are the wings assembled, with the cowlings put together too and the engines ready to weather and assemble;

resized_6a2904e0-fb55-433e-b6d6-ed34d497

The fuselage halves have been test fitted,...... and to be honest it isn`t the best ever,...... it will take quite a bit of tacking and use of tape to join them properly;

resized_f56d4d04-0436-4706-95ea-125b9ec7

Here you can see the opened out waist gun positions and rear entrance door,..... the waist positions are very well detailed and there are optional upper sections with or without a mid upper gun turret,...... the kit also includes a part for a Mk.I/II too,..... so another kit planned maybe,.... which would also explain the cut out for optional planing steps in the belly ?

resized_12c8380b-ffb8-417b-94b2-1614e43c

The cockpit and nose,...... I have yet to weather up the cockpit and add seat belts. Cuts out in the nose contain ports for a pair of Browning machine guns on each side and there are optional parts on the sprues;

resized_b79bebe1-065d-465e-95a5-e04542cb

So that is it for now,......

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 33

Jeez, you've cracked on with that one Tony. That's only become recently available here in Australia and even then it's been limited.

Shame about the fit though but looking forward to see it progress.

Mick

• Like 1

Hi Tony

I have just received mine too but it will be a summer build in French colours.

If you remember it should have been a joint Italeri/Special Hobby project.

Your build will probably save me time.

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 1

Tony,

You're going to need a BIG hairy stick for this one! I will be following your WIP with great interest, as I just got mine last week, I'm thinking of a Berlin Airlift salt hauler myself! Thanks for the heads-up about the colors and roundels- guess I need to do some research, too! It will be the ultimate pool toy when finished! I found two short videos of Berlin  Airlift Porcupines for your viewing pleasure!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-JwzwMiSg

http://taylorempireairways.com/2009/09/short-sunderland-flying-boats-in-the-berlin-airlift/

Edited by 72modeler
added links
  • Like 1

Hi Tony,

I wondered how long it would be, before someone on BM built one of these.

Be interested to see how yours turns out?

As an FYI, the Mk V only had two lower portholes aft of the wing trailing edge and

one porthole Starboard side at wings leading edge. Just in case you want to rectify that

before you close up the fuselage :)

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Looking forward to seeing your no doubt rapid progress on this!

+1 vote for EDSG and wartime roundels!

Not having either kit in my sweaty clutches, why do you think the SH is 'inspired by' the Italeri one?

I vaguely recall a debate about fuse shape below and forward of the windscreen that seemed to be a bit 'off' for the Italeri.  It would be a shame if this was also so for the SH kit.

Best Regards as always,

Martin

• Like 1

Excellent subject but as billn53 says:

14 hours ago, billn53 said:

i find everything about these big flying boats appealing, except for their size 😉  If I built one, I’d have nowhere to put it 😞

I can't tell if you've cemented the fuselage halves together as i was wondering about all those windows?

Stuart

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

You're going to need a BIG hairy stick for this one! I will be following your WIP with great interest, as I just got mine last week, I'm thinking of a Berlin Airlift salt hauler myself! Thanks for the heads-up about the colors and roundels- guess I need to do some research, too! It will be the ultimate pool toy when finished! I found two short videos of Berlin  Airlift Porcupines for your viewing pleasure!

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O-JwzwMiSg

http://taylorempireairways.com/2009/09/short-sunderland-flying-boats-in-the-berlin-airlift/

Great films thanks Mike,...... very interesting indeed. Ultimate pool toy,......haha,..... maybe just the bath for me!! As for hairy stick,...... nah,.... rattle can white for most of it,.... with brush painted upper surfaces,

Oh I`ve been looking at reference pics today and it appears that SH are correct about PP117, 4X-W,..... in a rather small colour photo it does appear to have MSG uppers and the fuselage roundel replaced by a post war D Type,....... I have a feeling that this may have been after the Berlin Airlift mind you,....... I`m still looking into it.

Cheers mate,

Tony

Edited by tonyot

14 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Tony,

I wondered how long it would be, before someone on BM built one of these.

Be interested to see how yours turns out?

As an FYI, the Mk V only had two lower portholes aft of the wing trailing edge and

one porthole Starboard side at wings leading edge. Just in case you want to rectify that

before you close up the fuselage :)

Thanks for sharing your build with us

Regards

Alan

Thanks Alan,...... Oh crikey,..... if people are going to be counting port holes and probably the size of them too, as per the Airfix kit,.....is this a good idea? Seriously though, thanks for the info,..... but funnily enough,......I have just been going through reference photos today to double check the lay out of the port holes before I close the fuselage halves because I knew that there were differences and I`m glad to report that your findings concur with mine,...so phew!! 

For those building this kit,......the port hole situation is not mentioned in the instructions but the correct layout is shown in the painting instructions,.....however those behind the cockpit are not very clear to see and could be easily missed.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mike romeo said:

Hi Tony,

Looking forward to seeing your no doubt rapid progress on this!

+1 vote for EDSG and wartime roundels!

Not having either kit in my sweaty clutches, why do you think the SH is 'inspired by' the Italeri one?

I vaguely recall a debate about fuse shape below and forward of the windscreen that seemed to be a bit 'off' for the Italeri.  It would be a shame if this was also so for the SH kit.

Best Regards as always,

Martin

Hiya Martin,

I`ve been looking at reference pics today and it appears that SH are correct about PP117, 4X-W,..... in a rather small colour photo it does appear to have MSG uppers and the fuselage roundel replaced by a post war D Type,....... I have a feeling that this may have been after the Berlin Airlift mind you,....... I`m still looking into it. I will be building mine as a Berlin Airlift a/c with EDSG uppers and wartime style markings,...... so whether PP117 flew as 4X-W in these colours,.... or whether I`ll have to choose another a/c,.....we`ll see!

When Italeri released the kit it was announced that it was a joint co-operation with SH who would release a Mk.V variant,..... but it looks as if SH have done much extra work or even gone their own way and made their own moulds?

I wasn`t aware of the nose shape being off,..... it looks OK to me on this kit,.... but I`m no Sunderland expert and don`t feel inclined to change much to be honest.

All the best mate

Tony  

10 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello, I'm in here for that one. Keen to see how it looks under a coat of paint. It looks somewhat better than the Italeri trenches. Cheers

Hello mate,...... the surface detail is much better than the Italeri trenches and rivet holes,...... so hopefully it should look much better,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

Excellent subject but as billn53 says:

I can't tell if you've cemented the fuselage halves together as i was wondering about all those windows?

Stuart

Hiya Stuart,..... no just test fitted at the moment,..... been researching the window layout today,..... still got some work to do on the interior yet too before joining the halves together. 

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Hiya Folks,

As mentioned above,..... today has been a research day,..... and I found a photo of the real PP117, 4X-W;

7f2a7a8b-a6bc-48c7-9705-ba1316d91ce8.jpg

So apologies to Special Hobby,..... they seem to have got it right with MSG uppers and post war D Type fuselage roundels. Now whether it flew in these colours during the Berlin Airlift,..... that is another matter,..... I have a feeling that it would have had wartime EDSG uppers and C1 Type roundels. If not,... then I will build another aircraft in the latter scheme. 

Regarding port holes,.... also mentioned above,..... the kit does not mention the fact that some need to be filled in on the main instructions,..... but it does on the painting instructions,..... however those behind the cockpit are very hard to see,... so hopefully this photo will help;

a61d3638-dd09-47d7-baf2-3fb3ccfc63da.jpg

As can also be seen, there are only two port holes behind the trailing edge of the wing along the bottom row,...... so one on each side needs to be filled in.

Here are some more ref pics re the portholes;

Duxford;

15f71504-4cf6-40de-839e-f743dbb3f99a.jpg

RAF Museum;

c91efa4b-edf8-4607-bf96-6ec0955d95a5.jpg

d0dbbbcf-c822-4718-b36b-37a33f82955f.jpg

All the best

Tony 

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooooo this is going to be good. Will watch with interest Tony, great work so far, panel lines certainly look a lot better on this kit.

Keep up the good work fella.

All the best

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... but don`t expect too much,..... I seem to be struggling with models at the moment,...... feels like I`ve got butterfingers!! 

Cheer

Tony

• Sad 2

Tony

It's just a phase, you will get over it I am sure. Do hope you are okay fella and the Sunderland will be great too. Would love one of these in the stash myself, maybe one day !!! Although I am very eagerly awaiting their 32nd Whirlwind and saving too I might add.

Keep up the great work

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

Now that I have some daylight,..... here are the filled in porthole,.....marked by pencilled arrows. I have backed the other portholes using tape as I intend to glaze them using Crystal Clear after painting;

resized_8e49e7fe-0156-41a7-892e-47358d46

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 7

7 hours ago, VG 33 said:

Hi Tony

I have just seen in Air Power Review #10 a picture of No201 VB889 NS-D being unloaded on Lake Havel in Berlin in 1949 with type C1 roundels.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,..... yes I`ve seen that one,..... I have yet to see a Berlin airlift Sunderland wearing the later roundels,..... which is why I`m thinking that I should maybe pick another aircraft or at least add wartime roundels and EDSG uppers and depict it in an earlier scheme!

Cheers

Tony

Having recently bought the kit from an emporium in Halifax, I will watch this with interest. I plan on building mine as one of the aircraft involved in the Yangtse Incident. I understand the aircraft turrets were armed for these missions. 

• Like 1

Would it be possible to model the drop down platforms in the leading edges? Also would it be possible to show the cowlings opened up for maintenance? My partners dad was ground crew with the far east flying boat wing in Seletar. He was on instrument calibration. 

I would like to build a model in his memory

I have lots of photos of them stripped for service inc one of him on a wing platform hence the question.

I'm sorry but on my c####y phone I can't see the pics clearly when enlarged

Thanks 

Steve

PS the serial no is jn191 "Willie"

Edited by Stevejj
Added info

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

Having recently bought the kit from an emporium in Halifax, I will watch this with interest. I plan on building mine as one of the aircraft involved in the Yangtse Incident. I understand the aircraft turrets were armed for these missions. 

I`ve bought one from Dave too! I would think that the Yangtse Incident Sunderland would have been armed yes.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevejj said:

Would it be possible to model the drop down platforms in the leading edges? Also would it be possible to show the cowlings opened up for maintenance? My partners dad was ground crew with the far east flying boat wing in Seletar. He was on instrument calibration. 

I would like to build a model in his memory

I have lots of photos of them stripped for service inc one of him on a wing platform hence the question.

I'm sorry but on my c####y phone I can't see the pics clearly when enlarged

Thanks 

Steve

PS the serial no is jn191 "Willie"

Hello Steve,

The kit doesn`t provide parts for this,...... but Eduard do an after market set,.....see this link;

https://lots-of-models.com/products/eduard-1-72-sunderland-mk-iii-maintenence-platforms-for-italeri-72586 

It looks pretty easy to do.

All the best

Tony