F194 Spitfire XIV and Flying Bomb - 34 parts! ++Finished++

Jinxman

That does look really cool.. love the last shot and the V1 mottling is nicely done. Cannot wait to see this finished.. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I hope the hairdryer has a cold setting!

Nice work on the Spitfire. And I do appreciate a free-running propeller!

It does! Hairdryers not being my thing it did take me a while to figure it out though. 👨‍🦲

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress now that RIAT is out of the way.

V1 is pretty much done, a few stencils and some minor scuffs/weathering to lift it a bit. The stand is done.

The Spit has had the white, sky and yellow bits sprayed. Once they are dried masking can go on, ready for the medium sea grey undersides.

The only plastic bits left to go on are the rear-view mirror and underwing pitot - both have been scratched as the carpet monster devoured the kit parts. 😒

48395489171_c069cc2e1d.jpg

48395628582_a6d50268d2.jpg

48395627972_d3183f06b7.jpg

• Like 10

This combo is looking really good and that V1 has been painted up beautifully. Can’t wait to see the Spit coloured in as well. 

Cheers. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

This combo is looking really good and that V1 has been painted up beautifully. Can’t wait to see the Spit coloured in as well. 

Cheers. Dave 

The colouring-in bit drags on a bit usually - I find it hard to keep the colours within the lines! 😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Very good (not like the old FROG Mk XIV I made at all!)

May I ask where you got the stencils for the V1 from?

They were from a Daco 1/72 sheet for a Belgian Hunter - they are not readable so you can't tell they are not in German. I was going to use a Verlinden rub down set, but when I looked at them you could read everything, and of course they were in English. 🤨

The placement was kind of in line with the stencilling info given in V-Missiles of the Third Reich - which were for a production variant and not a prototype which Frog have depicted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not much to show - but progress is being made. 😀 

Hopefully the masking can come off tomorrow once the enamel has had a chance to dry - prop is awaiting its coat of black once that is in the gun. 

48456990646_647501e63f_c.jpg

..and with some of the masking off - touch ups here and there required, but not too bad.

48460878802_0765a487de_c.jpg

• Like 7

Looks like the same masking technique I use, but slightly neater. It's very useful to use a printed plan of the aircraft to get the position of the masks right. Do you use Blu Tack?

Can't wait to see it with transfers on. (I got told off the other day for saying decals, apparently it's American usage). Thinking about when I was making these as a kid, we did call them transfers.

Anyway, it's going to look splendid.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Looks like the same masking technique I use, but slightly neater. It's very useful to use a printed plan of the aircraft to get the position of the masks right. Do you use Blu Tack?

Can't wait to see it with transfers on. (I got told off the other day for saying decals, apparently it's American usage). Thinking about when I was making these as a kid, we did call them transfers.

Anyway, it's going to look splendid.

Cheers

I don't use blutack very often - it's one of those things I've never got the hang of.

I find what works for me is to spray small amounts at a lowish pressure - I know the demarcation on the grey/green is supposed to be hard, but I think it will tighten up with a couple of coats of klear before the transfers go on.

Always transfers for me - I think that's what they were called in Airfix kits. 😀

Hopefully some klear on tomorrow/Wednesday - we'll see. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Transfers on, not without some issues though.

I tried my bottle of Decalfix, and it worked ok. However, it and the the klear didn't get on too well and they reacted slightly. 

Also, some of the decals have flecks of colour in them, which show up against the camo where they are clear on the edges. So, a little bit of touching up still required once everything has dried out.

48565163997_7f7bbc2468_z.jpg

48565021336_a2eb423e1c_z.jpg

48565021551_9003859aa2_z.jpg

• Like 5

Not far to the finishing post now.

Just the rear view mirror, pitot, a couple of aerials, and some gallery shots and it's done. For an oldie I think it's scrubbed up ok.

48592028691_3d5d354d2b_c.jpg

48592029086_091276cea0_c.jpg

• Like 6

That’s a superb result from just 34 parts! The excellent paint job and overall build neatness would make this a lovely presentation piece for any display cabinet.   

Cheers.. Dave

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a superb result from just 34 parts! The excellent paint job and overall build neatness would make this a lovely presentation piece for any display cabinet.   

Thanks - and I only used 21 parts, what with the carpet monster's share and the suspect transparencies!

Given that it only cost a couple of quid, (£2), I reckon I have had my monies worth out of it.

• Like 2

Lovely job - I'm not sure if the V-1 is starting to steal the show, though! I'll be doing a 'nostalgia build' of this kit in the future so will look back to this thread to really improve on my first effort. Great build! All the best. Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ventora3300 said:

Lovely job - I'm not sure if the V-1 is starting to steal the show, though! I'll be doing a 'nostalgia build' of this kit in the future so will look back to this thread to really improve on my first effort. Great build! All the best. Mike.

Thanks Mike - I think the V1 will be shown its place when the Spit is about to tip it into oblivion...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Now in the gallery - thanks to @TonyW for the decals, @JOCKNEY for the stand idea, everyone else for their comments and interest and of course, our long-suffering hosts.

Time for the workbench to move onto the ITYIWB and Blitzbuild2 GBs!

• Like 3

Honestly how good has this GB been and this latest gallery entry is a true testament of the fantastic quality of modelling on show. This Spitfire and V1 set is just awesome, the final photos are so atmospheric you can almost hear that Griffon purr and the flying bomb menacingly buzzing by.

Cheers and wonderful modelling.. Dave 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1