F238 Buccaneer Mk.2A/50 Low level striker

Another heritage group build!!!    :thumbsup:

For me, the biggest problem with these GBs is deciding how to build the kit.   Do you build it OOB in the same way as you would have done back in the day?  Do you build it OOB with all your current skills (in my case that can sometimes end up looking like the previous choice! :shrug:  )  Or do you improve the kit and build it to the highest standards you can achieve using aftermarket bits and pieces that were never even thought of when the kit was originally issued?

For this one, I'm going to choose the latter - sort of. 

spacer.png

I always loved FROG's full colour painting instructions

spacer.png

The kit is apparently very accurate, shapewise.  However, the fuselage is an empty shell.  You can see strainght through from the intakes to the exhausts. The open undercarriage bays provide a lot of light to aid the view. :lol:    So I shall be using some Neomega resin sets to deal with that issue.  They are designed for the now-obsolete Airfix kit but I see no reason why they shouldn't fit the FROG one.

I will be building the box top scheme, complete with four Martels.  However, I'll be using most of the markings from an Xtradecal sheet intended for the forthcoming Airfix kit.  The FROG decal sheet will provide serials. 

Looking forward to this one!  :bounce:    

• Like 7

Welcome aboard Enzo and good to see you tackling another Classic kit challenge. You're right about these old kits, you can either build it as we all did way back when or mix it up a bit to achieve something that littler bit special. Either way, you'll be on a winner so I'll look forward to seeing this one take shape over the course of this GB period. 

Cheers and all the best.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Enzo

I do hope you're ok, we are about to enter the second month of the Frog Squad GB and this poor Buccaneer is yet to make an appearance, unless of course you have finished it and we can expect to see it in the gallery  ?

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1

Okay, let's look at the sprues.   Typical FROG fare.  The plastic is very glossy and back in the day I sometimes had problems getting paint to adhere because if that.  I don't think that will be a problem in 2019.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And one of those wonderful FROG stands. 

spacer.png

As mentioned above, the interior of the kit is totally empty except for the cockpit.  However, the cockpit is very sparse indeed. 

I will attempt to remedy that by using some Neomega resisn sets.

spacer.png

These were intended for the old-ish Airfix kit, but I should be able to make 'em fit...

Here is the cockpit set.

spacer.png

I won't be using the upper nose section.  Just the tub, panel and seats.

Intakes and exhausts set.  The intakes will make a big difference to this model.

spacer.png

Some very nicely detailed main gear bays.

spacer.png

• Like 6

First step was to remove all the protruding bits on the interior of the fuselage halves.  The undercarriage bays were the sprayed Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Aircraft Grey, with some bits highlighted in aluminium.  

spacer.png

The resin cockpit was sprayed in Lifecolor UA033 Dark Gull Grey, which is a reasonable match to Dark Admiralty Grey.

spacer.png

I also took the opportunity to remove the forward sections of the intakes.  This leaves a huge gap.

spacer.png

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Jinxman said:

Mmmm - resiny goodness. Looking forward to seeing you squeeze that lot in. 😀

You don't have to wait long.  :D 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lo and behold, it all fits!!!  :phew: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Large amounts of Milliput fill the gaps where the intakes used to be. 

• Like 9

Excellent work Enzo, this will look great with all those additional goodies and certainly a lot more business like than what Frog provide. On the other hand you might as well use all those resin bits before the Airfix kit deems them redundant.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I have those resin sets and seeing this has made me feel a whole lot better about fitting them to the old Airfix Bucc. when that STGB starts. :thumbsup:

I would recommend that you remove the moulded in tub from the Airfix kit.  Don't just lop off the front fuselage to use the resin part.  As you can see, mine is so warped as to be pretty much unusable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It seems that I still needed a KUTA, as it's been quite a while since I updated this thread.

I fitted the resin intakes and faired them in with Milliput.   The intakes were designed fror the (veteran) Airfix kit which may or may not have had shape issues in the intake area.   I believe that the FROG kit is quite accurate shapeways.  That's probably the reason why I needed so much filler. 

spacer.png

Fin and outer wings attached.   It's interesting to not that this kit can only be built as a Martel-capable aircraft as it has one of the vortex generatprs removed to allow access to fit the relevant Martel pylons.

spacer.png

Airframe primed with grey auto primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

And the resin seats painted and fitted. 

spacer.png

The canopy was fitted and masked.

spacer.png

And the the model was sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1004 Dark Sea Grey.

spacer.png

After a thin coat of clear laquer, the disruptive camouflage was masked using my usual technique of Blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.   Looks like it's going on an arctic deployment!

spacer.png

spacer.png

And here's where I really need to go and stand in the Naughty Corner!   I got carried away and forgot to take further pictures.  :fraidnot:  Given that I just applied the decals this afternoon, it's going to look very different when next you see it. 

For the record, the disruptive pattern was Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green and the undersurfaces were Xtracrylix XA1015 Light Sircraft Grey.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1