Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

I have drilled out one of the Flightpath air to air refuelling pods to feed a wire through to the helicopter.

resized_42aa55e2-8cf0-4867-ba86-63178e87

resized_ab11bf1a-e9e1-40a8-ae38-5d6c50d9

Unfortunately though, this was the first time I tried the wings together. I already bought the new corrected Alison engine nacelles as seen earlier in the thread. This is how they compare to the kit's engines which, (and I'm not particularly clued up on C-130s so correct me if I go awry here) were based on a C-130A which used dinky little engines:

resized_60c176f3-6727-4199-914c-75d2a108

Unfortunately there's a drastic shape in their cross sections as well as length which I hadn't understood before

resized_e08643c1-1fee-40b2-b45f-47f369df

This means that the Flightpath engines fit perfectly where they touch the kit's wings :(

resized_65d70412-0481-480e-a995-26ed855d

resized_8f37419c-1d05-4e69-9849-340d6237

For what it's worth, Flightpath's engines do appear to be correct:

CH07-Waterloo-140708-DBx-IMG_0025.jpg

...but that doesn't change the fact that they're going to be an absolute pain in the proverbial to use and not just once but four times. Mr Parkins, if reading, then it may be an idea to upgrade the conversion to include the fairings into the top wing halves here and then all the buyer has to do is cut out between the panel lines on each. That will probably have to be my approach here, of a fashion.

• Like 6

Eight plasticard fillets were cut out to pack the nacelle sides attached to the lower halves of the wings:

resized_a09cd1c0-f66f-4f12-a10d-102fb137

...which were in turn glued to the insides. Meanwhile, I made up some Milliput which is not my preferred filler for general use but it is suitable for packing out the fairings on the upper halves.

resized_b6d0f52a-4773-4258-b5a0-ce17b441

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Stew Dapple said:

Jeebus Jamie :unsure:

I mean I know you can do it... but what a chore to have to do it 

Cheers,

Stew

It's neither ideal nor insurmountable but it needs doing...

With the wings out of game whilst the Milliput cures, I resumed work on the chopper.

As the S-61 family all (with exceptions) have a boat hull I made a hard balsa wedge

resized_da207d10-8e74-4786-9573-d86fc81d

This was intended to serve as a mounting block.

resized_2c22b20a-45e6-4a97-993b-6902804c

The top was faced with plasticard

resized_dd6c9b7a-2648-4d99-8218-2adf85cd

...and the floor drilled as can be seen.

I soldered the positive cable to an M3 nut and glued this to the top of the mounting block. An M3 screw had its head ground down until it was a good press fit into the carbon fibre tube to get a good electrical connection the it was secured in the threaded section with some CA wicked in.

resized_3cb18550-53a0-41d9-b8f9-70f68ed9

And thus, I have a helicopter on a stick. Also, my modelling table has been taken over by children, and I'm hungry so this is enough for now. I don't think I have any more excuses for not cracking on and finishing the HH-3E Jolly Green Giant now.

resized_ca6423b7-940b-4996-86a4-f28ad5bc

• Like 10

Good to see this project coming together again Jamie.

Because you probably haven't got enough to do, is there any way you could take a recording of the radio chatter between the tanker and receiver from the web and then build a simple "press to play" speaker to the base ?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Richard E said:

Good to see this project coming together again Jamie.

Because you probably haven't got enough to do, is there any way you could take a recording of the radio chatter between the tanker and receiver from the web and then build a simple "press to play" speaker to the base ?

Hi Richard,

I'm afraid I have no idea how to do that - but I try to be a tolerant, inclusive sort so I've no objections if you want to do the voices and radio squelch noises for me and we can just pretend it's a feature of the model :D

Here's how much needs to come off the engine nacelles where they fair in to the wings.

resized_e23d3510-607d-4a34-a2c1-c861a6a1

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I won't claim this is the best way or even a good way to begin, but I intend to chisel more or less parallel to the thrust line as far back as I can get. To aid this, I have used a razor saw parallel with the leading edge of the wing in plan-view to saw down to the marked lines, when viewed from in front. Application of chisel shall therefore cut away the excess material leaving what should hopefully clean up to be a smooth transition of the new engine nacelles. That then should (he says, ha ha) leave only the reprofiling of the fairings up over the leading edges to address. Getting the basic cross section of the nacelles correct first seems like the priority for now though. It's very difficult to shape a fairing when one doesn't have the thing it's fairing in to which may sound obvious, but having seen some rather odd shapes created (both by myself and many others) over the years in the r/c modelling world where building from raw materials is much more common, it is my preferred sequence now.

resized_7808243c-0aba-44ed-b967-b1e13f4f

• Like 5

I used a sharp, flat chisel and my most delicate sledgehammer to knock chunks off as described above:

resized_0862932b-c29f-4af1-807f-fb28dce5

Next the wing was chiselled more and sanding to bring the remaining excess down to match the aerofoil section:

resized_ac1af0b8-4b09-4db2-a1ef-3316bff2

It's getting there but, the contours aren't right - the nacelle bulges outwards from the resin into the wing, so more fine removal of plastic and tactical use of Infini Model hard sanding sticks or softback sanding sticks have got it there or there abouts. I'll leave this one now and get the other 3 to a similar state.

resized_1cad8c67-0b45-4e3d-81f8-45cf2bb4

resized_48d1b83b-e0f6-4256-b09d-143fdca3

To break up the monotony of doing the same task over and over, I'm going to try to finish this Zvezda Mil Mi-8MT "Hip" which Stew bought for me at Scottish National Scale Model Show:

resized_f874aa02-d84b-480b-b3b7-ba72eb7e

• Like 9

I braved the wind and cold to drill out the 3 remaining resin engine nacelles

resized_f940e698-a7c6-4b42-8e36-496139f7

Whilst in there, I raided my old R/C stash which hasn't been touched since I moved house in spring 2014 when I was taking home almost 3 times as much money and found some brass tube in larger sizes than my Albion Alloy stuff, and also pilfered a drogue from a Revell issue of Matchbox's old HP Victor kit.

resized_add9e407-1dd6-4e1d-af57-459b57be

• Like 7

I'm quite liking this unemployed thing, at least on a very short-term basis.

A 1/8th inch diameter brass tube was a pretty good match for the Whirlybird kit refuelling probe. For the telescopic section, I had a brass rod that a) fits the tube well and b) looks ok so those two were cut to length.

resized_1a83a7cb-716a-45e9-8c9b-84cfcd55

A second piece of the outer tube was cut approximately 3mm long and a length of cable soldered to the outside. I cut the drogue short, drilled it and reamed it out to fit the collar nicely, then carefully glued it in. I now have a electro-conductive refuelling hose.

resized_0054d192-cda8-4c02-99dc-1b0f56a6

resized_86aceb08-6ce7-4aa1-98f2-672f69de

The brass tubes needed dressed up with little plastic collars and a better forward mounting bracket, so I cut bits of plasticard, drilled and reamed them out to fit the tube then filed and sanded down to suit. Ish. A power drill chuck may have been employed to preserve my inherent laziness.

resized_f12a21c8-d2c9-45e0-88a5-28fc2f5d

Once that was done, but prior to gluing the plastic bits in place, I fed the helicopter's cable through a hole in the side of the fuselage then soldered it inside the tube. The kit's resin aft end was retained, hollowed out, and glued on to the brass tube.

resized_dc51ca9f-090a-4bae-bfaf-ed0a2381

I trust it's fairly obvious at this point, but here's how the refuelling drogue fits on. This should allow me to unplug the Herc from the Jolly Green and unscrew both models from their support rods. He says...

resized_9b20a7a4-55a8-4cc6-bed2-06184771

• Like 9

Hell's dangly bits, you're making the most of your time off, aren't you?

I thought fairing in those nacelles was about a week's work in itself B) Okay, you've still got three to go but you've got your proof of concept...

Looking impressive, crack on mate :) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Okay, you've still got three to go but you've got your proof of concept...

I've done two actually :D

resized_b02feec9-ed14-4d14-9443-c6aeca78

And with the probe stuck to the helicopter, and the drogue hose fed through the refuelling pod (it had two holes drilled to meet each other - the cable needed some careful manipulation to feed it through), we can sort of imagine how this should pan out...

resized_85b27ab9-f0f9-4d21-a268-7e7e6f54

resized_0a41dc95-fce6-4fb9-8a3f-b923ab4b

• Like 9

On 5/26/2019 at 10:13 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Yes there should - but one kit is the thick end of £70 😂

We shall be pretending that the second ship is hanging back a little 🤐

@Duncan B would have me adding all 4 A-1s into the scene as well...

It's obvious Jamie !!

Both for the second Jolly green Giant AND the 4 Skyraiders..:whistle:

Great work! I'll follow on !

CC

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Excellent progress and wise engineering, Jamie! 👍 It’s pleasure to watch your progress on the future diorama. Keep up the good work! 😉

Thank you Nikolay :D I need to think about what the base is going to look like very soon! I am not sure whether to go for a hardwood base, or to try to make something a bit like a south east Asia landscape. I worry that a diorama base would look bad.

20 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

It's obvious Jamie !!

Both for the second Jolly green Giant AND the 4 Skyraiders..:whistle:

Great work! I'll follow on !

CC

If you build the other Jolly Green I'll provide a second -ve cable drogue from the Hercules for it :D

20 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Wow! Some mightily impressive cutting / chopping / scribing / filling & gluing going on. That Mil 8 looks tasty!

Thank you! Getting the cuts and chops in the right place and the right depth is a trick I haven't fully mastered yet!

I finished the Mi-8 today, but most of the morning was dedicated to the pre-start meeting with our builder, quantity surveyor and architect. We hope to have people on site from the 22nd of this month which will be nice, considering the fire was on 4th January.

I am ready to join the fuselage halves of the HH-3E now. I used hot glue to secure the cables inside.

resized_afa9c28d-6430-41c0-b2cc-0c59f9a9

Before closing up, I wanted to fix that shape difference. Does the reader recall this picture?

resized_051486dc-3f72-433c-b77a-2ab42ee3

I fixed this using a hair drier. The mating surfaces needed to be re-levelled after the starboard side "roof" was bent down a little lower, but now it's a fairly good fit. I find a hair drier always works a charm when needing to adjust the shape of resin pieces.

resized_cf2db812-ddd7-47fc-978e-b475f87b

I, umm, think I'm ready to glue it together. I should check the electrics function correctly one last time before I do or you'll hear me screaming from around the globe if not.

• Like 7

After a brief panic following a failure to work, I moved what seems like half a tonne of temporarily stored boxed-up possessions to discover some fresh D-cell batteries. The tired AAs in my daughters' electronics playset appear to be fairly flat. We're back in business, but I think there is some appreciable voltage drop across all this cabling so I *may* have to up the power supply voltage with another cell to compensate once the C-130 is all wired up too.

Latest motivational video clip here (the blades were painted this morning)

https://www.facebook.com/jamie.duff.75/videos/10157599320921489/

This is a proverbial milestone. The helicopter fuselage halves have been joined. Ta dah!

resized_8b6de31d-eaa7-4dae-9f16-c5d26ab4

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I need to think about what the base is going to look like very soon! I am not sure whether to go for a hardwood base, or to try to make something a bit like a south east Asia landscape. I worry that a diorama base would look bad.

The hardwood is a classic win-win choice! 😉

• Thanks 1

Last night I started on the ramp which needed a bit of fettling.

resized_75c64085-3a4c-41f2-a423-274b6b9c

resized_153efff6-3501-43c0-961b-cc9dcb07

resized_665228c1-f639-47fa-bb4f-83a72885

That's in now. The plastic side skirt of my old car (14 year old 122,000 mile Jag X-Type) was hanging off a bit. I had to weld a patch on the back of the sill a few years ago and didn't buy new clips, but more recently one of the front ones that was intact broke so it was looking a bit shonky and I wanted it secure before snow removed it completely one day, so I bought new clips (9 quid for a full set for both sides was OK). I went to reattach it the other day and when pushing the broken off remains of previous plastic clips out of the wholes, the sill around it moved and made a crunchy sound. Lovely. Hence, today I mostly have had to prioritise doing this because the MOT is due next month and I'm off work this week so it's only fitting that I use my time off lying on a garage floor.

resized_a67465e5-a173-4a93-9220-77b462f9

I decided to just do most of the remaining sill.

resized_dbb028d1-497f-48f5-bf45-3cc889a9

Which was tacked thus:

resized_b838d670-d0ff-4589-a660-1a580ab7

... properly welded up, painted in aluminium-zinc primer then undersealed. I am just about to go back outside to drill new holes to reattach the plastic skirt like I meant to do in the first place.

But first, here's what I found with the HH-3E's windscreen! It's beautifully cast in clear resin and nice and transparent. It's as good as most injection moulded plastic canopies I've seen.

But alas, it was a bit taller than the fuselage.

resized_c40bfec8-5513-4a59-b9b4-e0750a13

I lowered the sills by the amount shown by the pencil line and the highest points now more or less match, however a more challenging issue presented itself:

resized_c184594f-db04-4191-a41a-47f7ae90

Oh dear. Now, had I been more intelligent I'd have checked this before closing up the fuselage with a fragile cockpit and electronic components inside, so wet sanding is right out the window here.

The S-61 family does have a fairly significant cross section change in the forward fuselage, but in real life it all happens within the length of the engines and the fuselage from the front of the air intakes (or maybe just a smidgeon forward) to the canopy is a constant cross section irrespective of whether it's a short nose S-61 like the Sea King, or a long nose S-61 like the L,M,N or R (CH-3 or HH-3E or F) models here. The long nose S-61s are lengthened with a plug the same cross section as the aft extremity of the cockpit glazing.

For my model now, at this stage, that's just too hard I'm afraid so I have compromised and this will feature a cross section change to blend in the glazings. Sorry folks. I shall try my best to hide that by finishing this helicopter as a somewhat used dead-flat-matt finish so that reflections don't give the game away easily.

I used Infini Model's epoxy putty and a little bit of water to kinda scuplt out the shape it needs to be. This will probably need further work to get a smooth finish but the epoxy putty should get me most of the way there.

resized_824675b6-d97a-4ee0-8b8f-99609d97

• Like 8

Hmm. Been a day of mixed fortunes by the look of it. Actually not mixed, just not very good :( 

However you seem to have all the issues in hand B) 

Regarding the potential display base, is there one of those sort of motion-blurred pictures of jungle available? I don't know if you know the sort of thing I mean? Mind you, it'd need to be a big 'un :) 

Cheers,

Stew

16 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

Hmm. Been a day of mixed fortunes by the look of it. Actually not mixed, just not very good :( 

However you seem to have all the issues in hand B) 

Regarding the potential display base, is there one of those sort of motion-blurred pictures of jungle available? I don't know if you know the sort of thing I mean? Mind you, it'd need to be a big 'un :) 

Cheers,

Stew

The plastic skirt is back on, and according to my text messages a new wheel bearing shall be presented to me by a driver from Don't, Please Don't within 25 minutes!

I think I know exactly what you mean but haven't tried looking yet. I may go do that shortly :)

• Like 1