Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

Consider that a deal, with a few Airfix Sea Kings lying around I'm sure an HH-3 would result if the fuselage halves are available

Thank you Jamie and to save money I could collect at Telford if, as I hope, you are coming down

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Nice project, Jamie! These two are one of my favorite airframes from the childhood, I’m looking forward for your future updates here. Have a nice build! 🤝

Thank you Nikolay :)

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I can confirm your 203 rpm; same speed as the (Westland) Seaking, so I suspect the same throughout the entire family. 

Excellent. Changing RPMs would be rather a big deal overall so it seemed sensible that the family all used the same transmission but it's good to have another data point helping confirm things.

I had a go at sanding one of the 4 pieces of plasticard added to the Herc. Even with running water and the 220grit sticks, it required a lot of elbow grease. Just 3 more to go 🙄

resized_c823114d-01f8-49d8-8502-57336a62

• Like 9

On 5/26/2019 at 8:41 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

At this point, @Stew Dapple will be thinking "if I'd known you were going to just ruin it I'd have kept the damned thing myself"

No mate, I was at least as likely to ruin it myself :D It's a bold venture you are undertaking but I believe you are the right dude for the gig B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Cool! :like: The rotation speed looks very natural.

:D

Hopefully it's 1200RPM as is - that's simply on the basic 3 volts with no variable resistor. I need to go find my optical tachometer now...

• Like 2

I couldn't wait to try it in a nacelle, so I broke out my pillar drill which hasn't been touched since being sat on the outbuilding floor when we moved here 5 years ago and drilled out one nacelle.

resized_f940e698-a7c6-4b42-8e36-496139f7

resized_1b156052-548b-441e-bc4b-489b59d4

And here's how it looks. The propeller was simply tacked to the motor shaft for the test previously and I didn't want to redo it hence there's no spinner here.

• Like 13

Looks interesting Jamie, nice one

I had my little vibro motor arrive but discovered that there are two kinds of vibro

Mine is basically just a tiny (not-very) loudspeaker and the other kind is a rotary which can do up to 12000 rpm

Mine was utter pants which I proceeded to destroy in the pursuit of any noise, it didnt even peep

Beautifully tiny though

P1010141.jpg

P1010144.jpg

I am tracking down which phones use the rotators, let you know then

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cut the main rotor blades free of their casting blocks and superglued them to the rotorhead. As suspected, they were very droopy, which Whirlybird have nailed for 99% of modellers who want a static look. It's absolutely not what I need here though. I spent a while scolding my fingers under the hot tap, but then stuck the rotor head on a blob of Blutac upside down and blasted it with a hairdryer. Within a few seconds the blades all coned the way I wanted them:

resized_675e48b3-ca3e-4f90-9183-6c94a8a5

This was then mocked up on the motor:

resized_808f8f8d-eba7-4993-b70b-ef2fc40e

Unfortunately my mobile phone camera's frame rate isn't great for this, but unloaded the motor should turn at 242rpm according to the blurb. With the blades on (and I twisted in some collective pitch on the hairdryer too as you may spot above), it will turn a bit slower but the motor showed no interest in heating up between my fingers.

• Like 12

A fascinating project Jamie, which I shall follow with much interest. I recall seeing an HH-3E in the flesh at a Biggin Hill Airshow, sometime around 1968 I think. It made quite an impression on me at the time. I guess it must have flown down from Woodbridge. I made the old Revell one not long after that. The Whirlybird kit looks good, may have to lay one down soon.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I recall seeing an HH-3E in the flesh at a Biggin Hill Airshow, sometime around 1968 I think

Same here, Terry - 64-14717 if I remember right. ;). I think its a great helicopter and far more characterful than the later Sikorskys. Of course, I love the Herc too - the legacy model rather than the modern hairdriers. This build looks great. I got around a couple of HC-130Ps - at Woodbridge and in the US - and so I'm looking forward to matching this up with my memories of it :).

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

On 5/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The 4 1200RPM planetary geared motors for the Hercules arrived today

Very amazing project Jamie. I am also working on similar project based on 1/72 A400M including all lights and engines. I have finally managed to collect the necessary electronic parts and nano arduino board including wifi module. The main part of arduino programming has been mostly completed (realistic engine rpm and light pulses for different ground phases). The next step will be to develop an android app to control the circuit with my mobile phone.

Has anyone an idea how to actuate the cargo ramp doors? I have found some linear nano servos in 15mm size and planning to use them to control the doors.

Serkan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Same here, Terry - 64-14717 if I remember right. ;). I think its a great helicopter and far more characterful that the later Sikorskys. Of course, I love the Herc too - the legacy model rather than the modern hairdriers. This build looks great. I got around a couple of HC-130Ps - at Woodbrighe and in the US - and so I'm looking forward to matching this up with my memories of it :).

Martin

I agree, it's a charming helicopter, but I love the early CH-53s also. I have been captivated by it since seeing a very early all-green Marines marked machine rolled on the 1982 BBC Horizon episode "The Chopper" which my dad recorded on Betamax for me and which I duely wore out watching it over and over again. The CH-53 roll is at 21:24 seconds, but before that is footage of the prototype S-67 Blackhawk attack helicopter which was destroyed in a fatal accident at Farnborough airshow in 1974.

sikorsky-s-67-blackhawk-crash.jpg

For the model though, I've drilled out the tail rotor pylon. This motor is a success! I don't know what RPM it does (turns out my tacho is broken) but it looks really good and that's what I wanted. Luckily I bought two though as I broke the first one pushing it back out of the pylon when the hole was too snug. If anyone else is thinking of trying this - the motors are cheap so buy a spare or two!

resized_d41cfcc9-df44-4939-8e58-72276149

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Of course, I love the Herc too - the legacy model rather than the modern hairdriers.

I agree with you Martin. Here is one of my favourite build, Hercules.

782.jpg

This DC-130A looks to me more eye catching than the modern monocolor derivatives.

Serkan

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

I agree with you Martin. Here is one of my favourite build, Hercules.

782.jpg

This DC-130A looks to me more eye catching than the modern monocolor derivatives.

Serkan

That's a pretty Herc Serkan :) A very early example indeed :)

I have figured out how I'm going to fit the main rotor motor in the fuselage and have decided to use the resin main rotor mast that comes with the kit, and let its length within the kit fuselage halves' locating hollows do the job of pointing the main rotor in the right direction. To aid that, I drilled the end of the motor's output shaft as well as the resin mast and superglued them together with a 0.5mm brass rod let down their centres.

resized_88206a95-d6c6-4939-a591-ac7f67f9

The kit mast is deliberately too tall and is to be trimmed to length to get the rotor head at the correct height. I haven't done that yet, so the following mock-up is too tall but it works. I think I will forego the potentiometers and just accept the RPMs these motors do - they look the part I think. To that end, I need to solder some cabling together and get the correct polarity on both motors. So far, I have been quite the modern-day politician about things and got it wrong every single time :lol:

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Brilliant movie clip of turning rotor Jamie.

So I was wondering how are you going to tackle the rotor blade pitch, and head tilt, and also the tail rotor pitch? Some form of gearing back to the collective, cyclic and rudder controls I assume?  😜

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Same here, Terry - 64-14717 if I remember right.

OMG, so you collected the numbers as well as me! I seem to recall a field day that year at Biggin as we also had a flight of 4 RF-4C's from Alconbury in Vietnam style camouflage, do a single flypast. Not low enough to get serials!

Terry

23 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Brilliant movie clip of turning rotor Jamie.

So I was wondering how are you going to tackle the rotor blade pitch, and head tilt, and also the tail rotor pitch? Some form of gearing back to the collective, cyclic and rudder controls I assume?  😜

Terry

I have fashioned a miniature swashplate :whistle:

The mainrotor is very wobbly just held on with Blutac, but you get the idea :) Once the actual swashplate and the pitchlinks are on it will be more secure in every respect.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1