Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

Thanks everyone - it's really not anything that impressive - I'm positive some posters could do better if they had a go :)

I masked up for some black:

resized_793d34f5-2e23-4b5d-b064-9c7bb698

Then decided I really didn't like the demarcation with the uppers and undersurface grey so I redid it.

resized_55f741f2-dd16-4497-9ddd-a74df985

I've assembled it just to get another impression of how it's looking. I think I'll shoot some gloss and get some markings on it, and then hopefully we can get this one wrapped up...

resized_7dd44520-cb44-4ce9-ae43-1179bceb

resized_ea5e9b9a-319a-4d6d-8ded-d5bb1655

resized_ac525cbf-f2aa-48e9-9b5d-6bc7a4fe

• Like 20

After a bit of a search through the (very) big stash of spare decals, plus more recounts than were demanded for most recent referenda, I accepted the fact that I simply didn't have spares to do this.

Hence I've drawn up simple masks in Adobe Illustrator, and I'm away to instruct my Cricut machine to make them.

61d93a00-5ef2-43b2-989a-df592c3916a3.png

• Like 4

I think my family have blunted the Cricut's fine blade using it to cut paper or something, so it made a bit of a hash of these. They'll do though:

resized_2d2097f1-9fa2-4cd0-8ec5-26bf6b5d

I'm going to weather the Hercules and wrap this up I think.

resized_d7de06e3-c87f-4688-864a-7cab164d

• Like 14

• 1 month later...

I've been putting this off using the excuse of it being too hard to pick up the soldering iron to repair a broken connection under the base, but in truth I just didn't expect it to still work and didn't want to deal with a possibility that it was just a dud with no future.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that it does in fact work.

resized_bc2be269-30cb-45ab-967d-68c346a7

And here's a short video:

Knowing that it works I feel a little less like it's a waste of time adding the undercarriage antennae to both and the exhausts and some weathering to the HC-130.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Incredible build and scenario, great to see, having spent 11 year working on Hercs (K's and J's).

I have to ask though (apologies if already mentioned), but you are going to fit the aircraft's external tanks I presume, Hercs before the J would virtually never be seen without them?

Cheers,

Kev.

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

It's come up now mate, that's looking brilliant, sorry I can't see it in person though B) Whenever we will get to do the Scottish Nationals or Telford that's going to look great on the stand :) 

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - we should have a wee bit more freedom without racks of other stuff in future too :)

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I can see it too - excellent!

A great model Jamie :) 

Thank you kindly Ced - it's much appreciated!

42 minutes ago, Kev Gregory said:

Incredible build and scenario, great to see, having spent 11 year working on Hercs (K's and J's).

I have to ask though (apologies if already mentioned), but you are going to fit the aircraft's external tanks I presume, Hercs before the J would virtually never be seen without them?

Cheers,

Kev.

Thanks Kev, which tanks are those? I'd only ever noticed the tanks on the pylons between the engines before.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Thanks Kev, which tanks are those? I'd only ever noticed the tanks on the pylons between the engines before.

Doh! Forget that, they are the ones, and checking back through the images I can see they are indeed fitted 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kev Gregory said:

Doh! Forget that, they are the ones, and checking back through the images I can see they are indeed fitted 🙂

They didn't go on til near the end - must have been the camouflage working too well :D

• Haha 2

Janie, fantastic build and result. I only found your article this morning, so ploughed through all ten pages. I like the way you solved the helo rotor issue, I'd had an idea similar eons ago but couldn't get passed a pair of pullies and an elastic band, which I knew would not last.

Nice input from Crisp re the rotor t/r speeds, always good to have quality input.

The result is superb, the map seals it and tells a story. Congratulations.

Colin