Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

Very nice work, Jamie. The Sikorsky looks great but I'm really interested to see the progress on the Herc. I dont have any other "large models" because of space but I'll make an exception for the Herc. As you will have seen, I'm focussed on an early MC-130E Combat Talon 1. Therefore the engines and the nose work are particularly interesting. As much as I like loads of stuff hanging off of wings, these earlier MC-s had no refuelling pods. I will therefore need the HC-130 nose, the engines and the MC-130 set for the extras. I'm still in gathering info mode right now so I can sit back and learn ;)

Martin

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

This one's had a bit of a break, but I made a start on the flaps for the HC-130 today. These are the only thing I'm going to use from the big Flightpath set but even still they're a chew.

First up, they're longer in span than the flaps cut out from the wing, and as such they're too long for the places they're to fit in to to the tune of approximately 2mm. I sanded them down from the outboard edge using a strip of masking tape as a guide.

resized_6f281326-048e-4b21-8c48-60a79505

resized_94269af5-7cb6-498a-843e-d2ad4ffc

I may have been spoiled with Korean photoetch but the fret attachments on this set are absolutely enormous which prevents parts falling off the frets as a positive but for the user it's only good if you're extremely retired, enjoy filing small bits of metal for hours on end and have run out of grass you don't own to mow or indeed any other way to fill up the emptiness between waking up and going to bed! They're a pain to cut free and a pain to clean up. Still, they fit well together after you've cursed your way through it...

resized_ebd57212-1897-4e59-b583-e4cadccf

The instructions take a bit of soak time but when the penny drops they do make sense. The best thing to do is ignore all the confusing part numbers which are difficult to attribute to the actual parts and just find the letters. I'll admit I was confused for quite a while as to how this was all supposed to work as none of the illustrations showed the complete final result - a photograph or two might have helped :)

resized_dea5fec6-a0c2-47a9-aa38-0e20d633

I assembled an inner section first which was more straight forward since all the ribs were the same. You do have to get the correct handing of the relief etch though but on my particular model it is unlikely to make any difference if you do get it wrong.

resized_45e3392c-de5d-4583-8d2a-72369b59

At this point I realised they were larger in chord too than the gaps cut out, and trying to tease them further in I buckled the first one, popped off the plastic flap from the brass and generally made a mess of it which I'm especially displeased with myself about.

resized_b3f5b1b6-d5ff-4980-9aad-3e3c7084

The brass parts have a fold-up bit at the extreme trailing edge. This is a bad fit with the plastic parts and needed a huge amount of filing down. After my mishap with the port inner flap, I decided that the brass parts would be superior with this trailing edge thing removed and discarded. I'd recommend anyone else using this set also removes them.

resized_adbc74b1-2d21-4cff-92be-7ea1bbfc

Once fitted, the outer is also broader in chord but it's consistent with the inner section.

resized_d3e41c50-d899-46e0-be34-e7423d17

I've started painting in Mr Surfacer to try to reduce the unsightly appearance of the mismatch in the trailing edge. The whole thing is on the flimsy side of serviceable so if I'm extremely careful I should hopefully be able to disguise this.

resized_cde1ea2d-0baa-47ac-8b8e-4312d05c

I don't really want to do the other side today... 😕

• Like 12

Looks like a lot of toil, but it should look pretty good when done.

Quite coincidendatlly I have just spent the last hour or so watching two C-130's flying low around and over my home, dropping various bits of marine kit and a few marines themselves, into the water off Studland beach in Dorset. I am one of those retired folk so such activities help fill my day! My wife actually commented that I should build one of those as she thought they looked and sounded very cool. So it looks like I should acquire one soon!

Come along Jamie, onto the other wing!

Terry

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Looks like a lot of toil, but it should look pretty good when done.

Quite coincidendatlly I have just spent the last hour or so watching two C-130's flying low around and over my home, dropping various bits of marine kit and a few marines themselves, into the water off Studland beach in Dorset. I am one of those retired folk so such activities help fill my day! My wife actually commented that I should build one of those as she thought they looked and sounded very cool. So it looks like I should acquire one soon!

Come along Jamie, onto the other wing!

Terry

Hi Terry,

You should wait for the new Zvezda C-130 I should think! Still, it's a nice subject. This kit is a bit long in the tooth now and I'm really not helping myself here by adding electronics, conversion parts and extended flaps! Your peer pressure has resulted in the starboard inner flap being assembled though, and the ribs for the starboard outer are all cut out and filed down. Time for some food though...

resized_4259b83d-4cd0-4fe4-9018-c304d04a

• Like 11

Amazing Jamie,....... yet again you are building a masterpiece! I have a HC-130 on the go myself,..... and I`ll be following yours very closely indeed,...... this is going to look superb!

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You should wait for the new Zvezda C-130 I should think!

Yes, that prospect seems to hold a bit of promise.

That follow on work on the starboard inner looks equally as impressive as that on the port side.

Terry

• Like 1

The C-130 has had its undersides sprayed with light gray.

Like the helicopter, this one is going to be rough round the edges. There's a seam on the belly that's giving me grief in particular, but it would be very difficult to get rid of without plugging the electrically conductive holes on the belly with non-conductive debris or indeed a lot of water for sanding it off which is far from ideal for a model with electric motors in it - so it'll have to remain and any berk trying to peer up from underneath it can have his nosy eyes gouged out by spinning rotor blades :D

resized_7d643c9b-8e24-4ecb-b257-cda2f95e

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

The basic camouflage paints have been applied. I didn't use the proper FS30219 Tan but rather pure German Army Afrika Korps sand, then blended the lighter green with what wasn't used of that then blended what wasn't used of the lighter green mixture with the darker green. I could have gone much further I think and in retrospec wish I had...

resized_2d80a931-5635-433b-8668-560f753d

resized_f81c7e8c-5619-43de-9719-9a5d5195

• Like 15

On 10/17/2020 at 10:35 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

There's a seam on the belly that's giving me grief in particular

When I have seams like that I’ll cover them over with 10 thou card and then feather in the edges of the card, use a little filler if necessary. 

• Like 2

Looks great Jamie!   👍

My oldest brother flew in Jolly Greens out of Danang. If you ever want to know how much hydraulic fluid could leak, and where it was allowed to leak from, he can tell you. That could help with any weathering you might want to do. Maybe you can simulate an airborne trail of red droplets emanating from the chopper?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, 06/24 said:

I am slightly amused by a paint manufacturer choosing to use the “wrong” paint (tongue firmly in cheek, It looks fabulous!) 

Yes I thought someone might pick me up on that :D Whilst ACUS18 is a dot-on match for FS30219, my personal interpretation of lots of photos is that FS30219 paint didn't stay its original colour very long at all in theatre, and I wanted a used aeroplane, not a brand-new looking one :D

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Looks great Jamie!   👍

My oldest brother flew in Jolly Greens out of Danang. If you ever want to know how much hydraulic fluid could leak, and where it was allowed to leak from, he can tell you. That could help with any weathering you might want to do. Maybe you can simulate an airborne trail of red droplets emanating from the chopper?    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Perhaps a nozzle and some sort of fan could provide the appropriate mist of hydraulic oil? It may also help deter people getting too close for an inspection :D

5 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That looks great mate B) Did you freehand that camo?

Cheers,

Stew

Thanks Stew - I did indeed. I blu-tac masked the light grey underneath then just hand-balled the rest yesterday morning. You have a fairly good idea how lazy I am :lol:

• Like 3

Impressive paint jobs on the Jolly Green and the C-130, and I love the way you have used different shades from the "standard" specs. The first time I saw a Jolly Green at Biggin Hill was memorable. The low flypast of RF-4's later that day convinced me the tan shades were most certainly different from the Jolly Green, and indeed differences were quite apparent between the four RF-4's, to my eye at least. It also prompted a memory of my first Humbrol Vietnam colour set, where for some strange reason the tan smelt way way different from the two greens and the off white!

Terry

• Like 2