Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

On 3/30/2020 at 2:31 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

...I wanted it to be fairly obvious which area of the world they were over without someone trying to peer closer to read the map at a model show and getting a rotor blade in the eye :D

Spoilsport! :lol: 

• Haha 3

Jamie! :blink2:

That's superb, my mate. Completely lost for words. I'd really like to do the same for my Falkland War project; the KC-130s who provided IFR for the Scooters and SuEs during their sorties. That'd be my dream come true. Yers was such an outstanding idea for which I congratulate ye.

Incidentally; some time ago I was trying to point @bar side in the right direction as to how you had solved the lack of chines in the Italeri kit for his build, as I was sure someone had corrected it, but I searched for this thread all over the forum to no avail.

Now he should visit this thread and see whether he's still in time for that mod.

Cheers,

Unc2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Jamie - impressive!

Sorry to hear 'the other half' isn't so keen, although I'm not surprised, sadly. 'Men are from Mars…' and all that.

I suppose having it in the dining room as a talking point during dinner parties is going to be out of the question too? :wicked:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I suppose having it in the dining room as a talking point during dinner parties is going to be out of the question too? :wicked:

Depends who he invites over for dinner I guess :shrug:

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...

The HH-3E has had its first coat of primer which revealed a few areas of poor workmanship. These have had their first post-primer sand, and some Mr Surfacer painted on in places where needed. This needs to harden before another sand then a reprime. Hopefully that's that!

resized_52a85d95-983a-4814-a870-c6f58d62

resized_6f4b01ea-41a0-484e-ad42-3040480d

resized_24c5b676-d4ce-48f3-9006-072ccb48

I've also got over my commitment issues with the HC-130P and built it up. This now needs all the same surfacing work.

resized_99d925bd-e0eb-46fd-8930-3bf7410b

As you can see, the nose will need a fair bit of blending in. I'll fit the big dorsal dome once the top of the fuselage is sorted out. I adding it now just seems like giving me another shape to work around...

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

resized_52a85d95-983a-4814-a870-c6f58d62

resized_24c5b676-d4ce-48f3-9006-072ccb48

Jamie, if I might suggest that the external tanks appear positioned too far outboard? They should be fully under their carriers, and close to the sponson sides, as seen here:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I've also got over my commitment issues with the HC-130P and built it up. This now needs all the same surfacing work.

Nice work all round Jamie :) 

That said, I'm sure I heard the crew (seen through the missing windscreen) talking about dust hazards during sanding… might be worth fitting the windows and blending at the same time?

(Fully prepared for a "I was going to do that" reply, but just in case…)

• Like 1

Some paint has been committed

resized_73ff9eb8-2ed4-48e1-af5e-7ee62007

I do not know what's wrong with me but I am performing like a 10 year old this past two weeks. Some of that Mr Surfacer with IPP lacquer thinner primer lifted away under paint and Tamiya masking tape which is always a risk with resin models - that's a touch-up I can live with. I'm more angry at myself that I got a bloody green fingerprint somehow on the tan on the other side! I also managed to break off 4 pieces when unmasking. That's unforgivable. Time to just put things down and have a break!

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

When paint lifting occurs like that it causes me a momentary and out of all proportion mix of emotions. Guilt, frustration, and annoyance all rolled into one! Easily rectified with patience though, but always a lurking dread of the very rare occasions it happens.

The Vietnam era camo makes this aircraft IMHO. I recall as a 14 year old, on one of my regular trips to the Biggin Hill Airshow, which was a long bus ride and an equally long country walk involving a final climb up Saltbox hill, we heard a sound then unfamiliar to us lads, but couldn't yet see it. A quick shoulder lift to get me above hedge height, and there it was flying above the field next to us. My first glimpse of the infamous Jolly Green! We got to see it close up at the show and it made such an impression on me that in the following months, my pocket money was spent on acquiring and building the Revell HH-3.

I must get myself another of these beauties, probably the Whirlybird offering.

Terry

PS. And of course as others have said, she looks splendid Jamie!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Chap's,

I haven't done much today but I did the touchups and picked out a few detail bits and will let this dry properly before I apply a gloss clear coat.

resized_0e1034b5-b31f-4cd4-81c4-ea3c1270

After consultation with photographs I decided to fade the tan a bit. To do this I airbrushed a thinned coat of ARG03 Afrika Korps tan yellow over the fresh over the fresh FS30219 Tan prior to painting the greens. The greens were faded a little either by being lazy or a touch of brilliance. I used the same pipette for each paint thus slightly contaminating each paint with the last of the one before it. This has slightly reduced the contrast between each, and bias their tone lighter but without being able to go too far. Genius. I think...

• Like 13

I think we're now at the point where I admit I've made a stupid mistake - there is no way on earth that either Krystal Klear or Clearfix can do a remotely acceptable job of windows - IF they can even form a film over such large windows. I need now to make 8 square windows to fit at a precarious stage.

To be honest I've always known that both the above products were extremely limited and did a very poor job of even tiny windows so I should have just dealt with this back at the beginning.

Anyway - here's now the chopper looks as of tonight.

resized_1f9b4104-86e1-4b75-94cf-3d07ad1c

resized_780c12ea-6b2e-46bf-962b-78689562

resized_7596071a-dd37-416e-a335-76a3f045

And if anyone like me to is happy to accept that these are silly plastic toys we play with, here's how it looks running. It's on too powerful a supply here but you get the idea...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10158303084556489&id=518181488

• Like 16

On 5/17/2020 at 9:27 AM, Terry1954 said:

The Vietnam era camo makes this aircraft IMHO. I recall as a 14 year old, on one of my regular trips to the Biggin Hill Airshow, which was a long bus ride and an equally long country walk involving a final climb up Saltbox hill, we heard a sound then unfamiliar to us lads, but couldn't yet see it. A quick shoulder lift to get me above hedge height, and there it was flying above the field next to us. My first glimpse of the infamous Jolly Green! We got to see it close up at the show and it made such an impression on me that in the following months, my pocket money was spent on acquiring and building the Revell HH-3.

When I was at school in the mid-seventies we occasionally saw the US Air Force's Super Jolly Green Giants flying overhead - for similar reasons I acquired the Airfix version as soon as I could.

Excellent work so far Jamie.  

• Like 1

Hi Jamie, those camo colors look great 👌

Regarding the window glue products my choice nowadays is the Revell Contacta clear it behaves far more better then the mentioned products which I have used as well.

One benefit is that that it isn’t reacting to water but only alcohol/ipa.

Love this project and seeing it grow!

cheers, Jan

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I think we're now at the point where I admit I've made a stupid mistake - there is no way on earth that either Krystal Klear or Clearfix can do a remotely acceptable job of windows - IF they can even form a film over such large windows. I need now to make 8 square windows to fit at a precarious stage.

If you can make the windows the same thickness as their apertures, then installing them needn't prove quite as difficult as it may appear now....

....working from the opposite sides, superglue small tabs across at least two inside corners of each aperture to prevent pushing the windows through during fitting...

'Like' for the model but sad about the windows…

How about trying some Sellotape Diamond 'Super Clear' tape?

I've used it before for landing lights, quite big ones and, as long as you keep your fingers off the back, it's great.

You should be able to cut it roughly to (over) size, trim the corners and paint 'frames' at the edges? It's quite thin, obviously.

HTH :) 

• 1 month later...

Today I gave up on surfacing the top of the fuselage and instead and going for a flattest of flat matt strategy to reduce the ability to see my iffy work. I cut out the vacuum formed dome for the top of the fuselage and profiled it to fit nicely. The actual vacuum forming was very good and the master very accurate. All it really needed was profiled clean-up, really.

resized_14039d71-c975-41ae-be5c-f642862c

I drew round it to make sure I didn't accidently move it when gluing:

resized_953f29c3-1b89-438f-bd0a-0518e2da

It was then cemented in place using Tamiya Extra Thin. At this point, I also decided that I wasn't going to sand smooth and rescribe a whole C-130 - I don't care quite enough for that, so instead I started reinstating sanded-off panel lines using heat stretched sprue. This will take some time, but less than the alternative.

resized_ffe20b09-21a0-4316-8aeb-9de66fba

The new ones look very heavy, mostly because they're highly glossy under the Tamiya cement. They should look similar to the kit ones once it's had a gentle go over with a fairly fine Infini sanding sponge and a prime.

resized_9ac435ed-0cb7-4f67-9df3-3ade19ba

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The new ones look very heavy, mostly because they're highly glossy under the Tamiya cement. They should look similar to the kit ones once it's had a gentle go over with a fairly fine Infini sanding sponge and a prime.

Yes, the sanding sponge (I use a 1000 grit for this purpose) will do that trick - it will remove all that shine and make the surface uniform after glue application.

4 hours ago, perdu said:

Love the 'rebuilt panel lines' look Jamie, all looking great.

I agree with you, looks excellent! 👍

I’m really glad to see your progress here, Jamie! Looking forward for the future updates on a Herc. Happy modelling! 😉

• Thanks 1