Vietnam CSAR - Lockheed HC-130P "Combat King" and Sikorsky HH-3E "Jolly Green Giant" in 1/72

3 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

OMG, so you collected the numbers as well as me! I seem to recall a field day that year at Biggin as we also had a flight of 4 RF-4C's from Alconbury in Vietnam style camouflage, do a single flypast. Not low enough to get serials!

Terry

@Terry1954

Err.... Yes, Terry. Started in mid-60s and only really gave it up recently ;). After 1978 I only followed military stuff. 

It was 1970. The RF-4Cs were 64-1033, '60, '67 and '80. There was a F-100D too - 55-3665 :)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

It was 1970. The RF-4Cs were 64-1033, '60, '67 and '80. There was a F-100D too - 55-3665

I reckon it was. I recall the F-100 also. I seem to remember the RF-4C tail codes were maybe AT but I could be wrong as Alconbury codes changed from AR, AS and AT around that time to all AR? I also thought that was the one time I ever saw the large white numerals (usually 3 under the alphabetic code) as four? Probably mistaken there.

Happy days.

Apologies for the slight thread drift Jamie!

Terry

• Like 2

AT I think, Terry. 

I used to to love the Biggin Hill “At home” days. My profile photo shows me at my first with my dad :). 1962, I think. There was a KB-50 that year ;) I was, of course, too young to appreciate it but I have my dads negatives ;)

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 3

I liked your idea & something seemed familiar so I had a look through my old air show photos taken at Mildenhall when I was a youngster.  Old 110 camera was hopeless but I found this.

zZGS-wajfKxGDy_Ixcie54Vuc08UEm0f39v-6spO

So that is why it seemed familiar!

Been thinking about doing a 1/48 RAF Herc with motors & internal lighting too, so going to steal ideas.  I did a powered up main & tail rotor plus lights 1/48 Apache a while back too.  And I have a AR tailcoded 1/48 Alconbury RF-4C in wraparound SEA camo too.

Nice work so far - enjoying the updates 

• Like 3

On 07/06/2019 at 19:36, Serkan Sen said:

This DC-130A looks to me more eye catching than the modern monocolor derivatives.

Yes, The Director looks stunning! This painting scheme is absolutely superb. Thanks for sharing the picture with us, Serkan! :like:

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies - excellent progress here, Sir! Keep the mojo with this build - I'd like to see the Herc with a forks!

• Thanks 2

On 6/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, RidgeRunner said:

Same here, Terry - 64-14717 if I remember right. ;). I think its a great helicopter and far more characterful than the later Sikorskys. Of course, I love the Herc too - the legacy model rather than the modern hairdriers. This build looks great. I got around a couple of HC-130Ps - at Woodbridge and in the US - and so I'm looking forward to matching this up with my memories of it :).

Martin

Hi Martin,

I checked the decals in the Whirlybird kit, and it comes with tail numbers for:

63-9681

63-09676

66-13291

67-14712

67-14713

67-14715

67-14716

67-14717

The 67-aircraft are, so the instructions say, all from Woodbridge in the early 1970s

• Like 2

Jamie,

a great project, been watching this for a while already. Have you (will you) pinned or reinforced the main rotor blades? As they are long, thin resin I suspect they will start to droop from gravity after a while - not so pretty with your upturned cone for in-flight...

Cheers,

J

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 7:20 PM, Terry1954 said:

Brilliant movie clip of turning rotor Jamie.

So I was wondering how are you going to tackle the rotor blade pitch, and head tilt, and also the tail rotor pitch? Some form of gearing back to the collective, cyclic and rudder controls I assume?  😜

Terry

I was just thinking he’s lucky it’s not a 6-bladed tail rotor, so he doesn’t have to model the characteristic double tip path... 

[If you have no idea what I am talking about, the 6-bladed tail rotor of all Westland Seakings post Mk.1 is actually 2 x 3-bladed TRs interleaved; if you stand (well) behind a running cab you can clearly see two tip paths]

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Jamie,

a great project, been watching this for a while already. Have you (will you) pinned or reinforced the main rotor blades? As they are long, thin resin I suspect they will start to droop from gravity after a while - not so pretty with your upturned cone for in-flight...

Cheers,

J

Hi Jeffrey, you're right they are a bit wobbly and don't have much conviction in staying put. Actually they'd probably look just fine long(er) term as a normal static model with droop, but I do want them coned in flight and you've made me think.

This afternoon I have used a 220grit sanding stick and rebated the leading edges, and I'm gluing brass rod along the length of the blade. The brass does have some memory but can be shaped somewhat. I may need to make the rotorhead removable and make a special cradle to hold the main rotor assembly in with all the blades jigged at the same angle and elevation. I chunk of ply and 5No.  1/4" balsa triangles arranged radially about a centre point with a dummy rotor mast (e.g. a nail) would serve well I think.

The brass is certainly making the blades stiffer...

resized_3982ef44-1f64-4882-8970-fb3e1188

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

If you have no idea what I am talking about, the 6-bladed tail rotor of all Westland Seakings post Mk.1 is actually 2 x 3-bladed TRs interleaved; if you stand (well) behind a running cab you can clearly see two tip paths

Well you learn something every day, and on here it's most usually from you Crisp!

Being fascinated to see what you described, I took the opportunity to check out both Sea Kings at the FAA Museum today and on the SAR cab (which has the other side painted in RAF yellow) you could see it on the two sets of three tail rotors as you described quite easily, when viewed directly from below the blades. My picture doesn't easily show all six blades but that bottom left one shows it ........... The green Junglie aircraft had the five bladed rotor which so clearly showed them all in line.

20190609_143214

Thanks for pointing that out!

Terry

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Jamie, would you be so kind as to identify for us exactly what motors / cell vibrator you are using? I may order a few for future use. 

Thanks!

bill

Hi Bill,

The tailrotor motors are these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC3V-3-7V-4-2V-Ultra-mini-Coreless-Motor-3-2mm-12-2mm-Vibration-Vibrating-Motor/283101330780?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=583506556671&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

On 10/06/2019 at 01:05, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Here is the jig I have made to help straighten the blades out and, hopefully, get them all tracking at roughly the same height!

Great work!!

J

• Thanks 1

Jamie so far, so brilliant

It looks amazing

Don't forget superglue will stiffen plastic if you spread it along and keep it smooth and tidy

Might be easier than the very drastic brass strip stiffening but as you've done now its more academic

😂

• Like 1

Just caught up with this one Jamie (flippin' puppy sitting) - WHAT a project!

Following with interest, although some frustration that the videos won't play for me on my Mac… I had to log onto FaceBook! I'm a TOFF* of course and don't visit very often but that trip did give me a chance to thank people who'd clicked the 'wish x a Happy Birthday' prompt. Huh :rolleyes:

Great progress so far Jamie - brave work, being rewarded :) 

* Too Old For Facebook. Or social media in general, actually.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi folks,

No progress on anything lately. I won't go in to why exactly, but my opinion of insurance companies being on the same level as politicians and other types of thieves has been somewhat reinforced recently.

This morning I have done about as much as I intend to on the cockpit of the HH-3, and next it needs painted. I see no point in seatbelts or further detailing as there will be pilots in there and if anyone tries to peer closely enough through the glazing they'll get a rotorblade in the eye.

resized_72423ee2-4f9e-4371-9c12-1beb32db

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

36 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

and if anyone tries to peer closely enough through the glazing they'll get a rotorblade in the eye.

A brass-reinforced rotor blade in the eye :lol: 

I think I can guess the insurance-related rage. Sorry to hear it mate,

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

...they'll get a rotorblade in the eye.

From the model, or are you keeping a spare one for the purpose?

Nice internals Jamie and sorry to hear of your insurance woes - I hope it gets sorted soon :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a maxim

One of hundreds, there's no list

If you have to buy anything the chances are that you are buying it off someone less honourable than thyself

Not generally I find that people selling me paint and modelling sundries *fall in that category, nudge nudge, but those who charge for invisible services definitely do

(Hear that British Gas?)

Re: *

Bullet dodged?

I love the cockpit Jamie, definite signs of super-ness

• Thanks 1