TA-4F Skyhawk Adversary #17

Last week I managed to finish this Hasegawa TA-4F Skyhawk in adversary markings. It is one of several adversary Skyhawks I have built, and I started it more than five years ago. It was a straight forward build but it just got sidetracked by lots of other models.

I sprayed it freehand with Xtracolor enamels and used Fightertown decals for the markings.

TA-4J_17_4229.jpg

TA-4J_17_4230.jpg

TA-4J_17_4247.jpg

TA-4J_17_4248.jpg

This is the company she will be joining:

TA-4_13-16_6475.jpg

Jens

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

A really nice Skyhawk Jens - and a fabulous adversary collection too - when you spray that camo pattern freehand how do you get it so neat - is it done at a very low pressure?

CJP

Thank you for all the comments. :)

9 hours ago, Shalako said:

Talking about an "Adversary aficionado"!!!

If I remember correctly Jens, you have also built some single-seat Adversary Scooters in the past.

Cheers

Bill

That is right, Bill. I have a few single-seat adversary Scooters too, and I have more underway. With so many cool schemes it is hard to choose which ones to make. :)

9 hours ago, CJP said:

A really nice Skyhawk Jens - and a fabulous adversary collection too - when you spray that camo pattern freehand how do you get it so neat - is it done at a very low pressure?

CJP

First of all I make sure the paint is thinned adequately - the ratio varies from paint to paint and from tin to tin, but I have developed a good 'feel' for it. Then I go real close and slowly build up the demarcation lines bit by bit while checking pictures to see where to paint (I always do my best to get the demarcation lines as correct as possible). The pressure is around 2 bar, but I use a double-action airbrush (Iwata HP-C Plus) so I am able to adjust the pressure while painting. It usually takes a couple of hours to paint one colour if the scheme is as complex as this one - and I often paint two or more colours in a row.

Jens 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Thank you for all the comments. :)

That is right, Bill. I have a few single-seat adversary Scooters too, and I have more underway. With so many cool schemes it is hard to choose which ones to make. :)

First of all I make sure the paint is thinned adequately - the ratio varies from paint to paint and from tin to tin, but I have developed a good 'feel' for it. Then I go real close and slowly build up the demarcation lines bit by bit while checking pictures to see where to paint (I always do my best to get the demarcation lines as correct as possible). The pressure is around 2 bar, but I use a double-action airbrush (Iwata HP-C Plus) so I am able to adjust the pressure while painting. It usually takes a couple of hours to paint one colour if the scheme is as complex as this one - and I often paint two or more colours in a row.

Jens 

Thanks for that information Jens

CJP

Excellent work!

May I ask, what scale?  I could not see it mentioned (my apologies if it was and I didn't notice).

Anyhow, a brilliant set of scooters!

:goodjob:

Never expecting a Navy Skyhawk to have an Iranian flag on its tail but of course as an adversary squadron,anything can happen.By the way your  Tf-4 is a thing of beauty.Always wondering which marketing strategy Hasegawa is using by not reintroducing their popular skyhawk variants into the market!

• Sad 1

That/those look great @Jens Being a camo junkie, I'd love to do some of these, but being also a 1/72 junkie, I don't like my chances. I'm guessing these are 1/48 & hoping Hobby Boss will bring out a TA-4F in its new 1/72 range. It seems the Hasegawa & better Fujimi TA-4s are just so last century now. :( 

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Since, I'm also a "camo junkie" and particularly a US Navy Adversary units "camos", the problem with the scale you're mentioning is that our only option is Microscale/Superscale decals which are hard to find. Not to mention the fact that the options they offer are quite limited to just a few (perhaps 5 or 6 only!!!) Adversary Scooters (both single and double-seat).

From the kits' perspective, we have Hasegawa and Fujimi with the latter one being the most expensive and hard to find!!!

There were a few companies that did produce decals for the Adversary Scooters about 5 - 10 years ago but, the sheets were only for the 1/48 scale! Pity though because they could had also made some money from the "gentleman" scale!

Personally, I have 3 Fujimi Scooters and another 3 from ESCI in 1/72.

• Like 1

Absolutely beautiful collection. Your airbrushing is incredible. Also, what thinner do you use with the Xtracolour enamels? On average, do you thin 50-50 or some other percentage? Thank you for sharing.