Eduard 1/72nd scale Fokker DVII (OAW), Ltn. Franz Buchner, Jasta 13, 1918...

1 hour ago, Andre B said:

Impressive work. Did you use any Micro Set and/or Micro Sol... ...or only hot water? You didn't paint the wings before applying those decals?

The decals are incredibly thin.  I only dunked them in cool water (I have never used hot) for about 15 seconds before they were able to be slid off the paper backing.  

I used only Micro Sol and did not paint the wings.  Once everything is finished on the wings, I'll airbrush some weathering where it needs to be.  Remember, these wings had, at the very least, a satin shine to them.  If they didn't, they weren't waterproof.  If you see actual WW1 aircraft, this is apparent.  Below is an image from the Rhinebeck Aerodrome in New York of their Fokker DVII--a reconstruction but with an authentic Mercedes engine.  The photo below has the copyright info attached and is not one of mine...note the shiny undersides...

spacer.png

So my satin varnish will look good with a little 'smoke' and some staining to tone down the colours of the lozenge.

--John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I apologize for the quality of the photo...the underside lozenge is on!  I'll take care of the tapes this evening, the edge tapes and crosses tomorrow, varnish and set aside.

Note the section I have circled:  Eduard has seen fit to actually make cut-outs where the struts will go, thus removing the need to search for and punch holes in the already delicate decal fabric.  And these are open sections, not just clear decal.  It also helps with decal alignment on the wings. The topside of the lower wing had similar open areas.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 9

1 hour ago, clive_t said:

They've really gone to a lot of trouble

They have and it is appreciated.  Even the 1/48th scale kits didn't have this decal detail, nor thinness.  

I appear to be talking myself into getting hold of one of these kits. That'll cheer the other half up no end! :D

You've done a great selling job for them John!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

I apologize for the quality of the photo...the underside lozenge is on!  I'll take care of the tapes this evening, the edge tapes and crosses tomorrow, varnish and set aside.

Note the section I have circled:  Eduard has seen fit to actually make cut-outs where the struts will go, thus removing the need to search for and punch holes in the already delicate decal fabric.  And these are open sections, not just clear decal.  It also helps with decal alignment on the wings. The topside of the lower wing had similar open areas.

spacer.png

--John

Cut outs? Who ever gonna get an Roden Fokker after this? Fantastic work!

Cheers / André

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I could begin to do that lozenge stuff

Anyone can.  It's very easy.  It also helps that Eduard has cut the lozenge perfectly, the thinness aids adhersion and the stuff isn't brittle like the Roden kits.  

I tell you, this kit, like the Spitfire, kind of falls together.  Wait until you see the struts.  

• Like 2

Can’t wait to get my hands on some of these kits.  Then my stash of Roden DVIIs can go in the bin!

AW

7 hours ago, Andwil said:

Roden DVIIs can go in the bin!

I am thinking I might try to use some of the Roden personal markings for one of them...see how it goes.  But yes, sadly, bin-able...

Underside rib tapes all done!

spacer.png

Tonight I'll add the crosses.  In retrospect, Will be using the Aviatik decals from now on.  Having to do the rib tapes is a pain in the brain.  

• Like 6

OK...that's almost finished.  Today I will give it a varnish and seal in the decals so I can handle them a little more easily.  I will also weather them a bit.

spacer.png

Onto the rest of the kit!

--John

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I primed some pieces today and they are all ready for the paint shop.  Note that I am not using a lot of the PE pieces (guns, etc...). I am treating this as a Weekend Edition.  

spacer.png

I test fitted the lower wing and it is really tight, to the pst that I felt I would damage the decals if I forced it.  So 20 minutes of very gentle, very slow sanding rendered a better fit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Paints?  Colours?  Well, there's blue and green and then there's Jasta 13 Blue and Green...I think some Prussian Blue with a touch of Oxford night work.  Likewise Dark Green with some lightening as well...

spacer.png

--John

• Like 6

..thanks for showing us this John . Picked my kit up at the weekend (‘Models for Sale’ are doing them for ten quid a piece, not bad for a ProiPack I thought) I couldn’t quite believe the lozenge decals went on ‘wing-sized’ so to speak, but evidently they do...and no paint or primer either, answered some questions I had, thanks again

Interested to see what shade of blue you use.  Many profiles of Buchner’s DVII and a photo of it in flight show a lighter shade than other JG2 machines.  The photo could be due to the type of film used, but all other JG2 aircraft photos that I have seen the blue does look darker.

AW

On 5/31/2019 at 9:02 AM, Andre B said:

Cut outs? Who ever gonna get an Roden Fokker after this? Fantastic work!

Cheers / André

Wish I hadn’t stumbled upon this thread, my motivation to finish a half-finished Roden was replaced with an urge to buy one of these instead. 😫

Kidding of course (mostly) - thanks for the wip, following intently.

The wings are fabulous! 

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

Wish I hadn’t stumbled upon this thread, my motivation to finish a half-finished Roden was replaced with an urge to buy one of these instead. 😫

Kidding of course (mostly) - thanks for the wip, following intently.

The wings are fabulous! 

I've got one half-finished Roden to. Your not alone! 

Cheers!

7 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

Wish I hadn’t stumbled upon this thread

Finish the Roden!  I would love to see it!

6 hours ago, Andre B said:

I've got one half-finished Roden

Likewise...

I have added the Jasta 13 Blue...it is Prussian Blue with a little Oxford Blue to give a lighter, slightly grey-ish cast.  I like it!

spacer.png

It is so dry here that the paint is drying very quickly.

--John

• Like 3