Eduard 1/72nd scale Fokker DVII (OAW), Ltn. Franz Buchner, Jasta 13, 1918...

A fair amount of what I call 'busy work'...struts, little bits, guns, wheels, etc...I am using the kit Spandau and not bothering with the PE.  IMHO, PE Spandau at 1/72nd are too bothersome and always end up 'not straight'...others might be able to do it, but not me.

spacer.png

Struts, exhaust...

spacer.png

...and the fuselage with the rudder attached, green nose...thenakfully, Eduard has supplied the white diagonal stripes as decals.  In fact, I will add the decals to the fuselage today, seal them well, attach the exhaust and weather and finish the fuselage.  Then I will attach the lower wing, upper wing also after some weathering.  I'll mask the wheels and paint the light grey rubber tyres.

There is fair amount of PE that has to go on the plane at this point, mostly control lines and such.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 8

The Spandaus are indeed fickle, but I find it helps greatly to do it in slow steps and let the glue really settle. You can also just use the cooling jacket and replace that section on the styrene version, keeping the first mm of plastic (sanded down to allow for the thickness of the PE) as a guide to get it straight and extra mating surface for the glue. Admitedly, I’m a sucker for PE cooling jackets as I find they add such an impression of realism that they are worth all that fiddling. 

—-

Is there any point in asking how the struts fit? Or can we assume they fit perfectly? :D 

17 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Finish the Roden!  I would love to see it!

I dislike unfinished business, so I’ll get there eventually. Will make a post somewhere but don’t expect too much :D I skipped - no, gave up on!  - the rib tapes as they disintegrated upon breathing in the same room. I should have listened to advice and replaced the lozenge but some people are obnoxiously stubborn and have to try themselves.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

The Spandaus are indeed fickle,

That's ok.  I prefer fun and ease to cursing and hair loss.  

That Roden lozenge is the pits--start to finish.  I hope you had better luck.

• Like 1

OK.  The decals are all on.  I have noticed that the kit does not ask for any specification markings on either the fuselage or the interplane struts which was usually the case with all the DVII aircraft.  Obviously these were painted over by Buchner's crew.  I will coat the fuselage with some varnish and then add some weathering...some oil stains around the nose, exhaust staining, some dust...same with the wings.  

spacer.png

Be forewarned, the werewolf decals are actually slightly different and sit at very subtly different areas on the fuselage.  Also be careful with the checkerboard band. It goes on easily enough but care is needed to place it perfectly.  And they are thin.  The white stripes on the nose were very easy to do.  They are in three pieces.  Piece of cake!

--John

• Like 8

Just some small assemblies.  Eduard seems to have a habit of this.  As soon as I thunk I can progress onto something bigger, I am reminded I need to take steps 5,8 9...first.

So the guns are in place.  I lost one of the ammo chutes to the gods of modelling.  The prop is done.  Someday I will laminate my props, but not today.  Wheels and undercarriage airfoil are done.  

Now can I weather it? 😁

spacer.png 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Torbjorn said:

How did you paint the radiator grille?

With a small hairy brush and using Vallejo Air Gunmetal.  I masked the grill area before I airbrushed the green.

Many thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Andwil said:

In 1/72 the laminated props can look a bit OTT I’m my opinion.

I agree.  I have done enough wood effects in 1/72nd to know that at this scale, woodgrain, especially fine woodgrain, will not be visible. What will be visible are subtle changes of tone (darker/lighter).  Many thanks!

• Like 2

Just caught up with this John - I have been away and am still trying to get back to normal. This kit is completely new to me but it looks to be a little gem - in your hands at least. I do like the distinctive markings: the lozenge on the wings is very good too. Will continue watching with great interest.

P

I attached the lower wing last night...

spacer.png

Goops...forgot to paint this bit!  Fixed it an hour ago...

spacer.png

And I have given the nose and fuselage some grime.  Just a very light wash.  These aircraft became very dirty, very quickly in the field.  Oil, exhaust, dirt, dust, smoke...

spacer.png

Landing gear assembled...

spacer.png

And...So I took stock.  Struts are ready.  Fuselage is ready.  I attached the PE control horns on the tail.  Landing gear is good to go.  Hmmm...I think I need to put this thing together!  So I did.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

About the struts:  They fit perfectly...however, I suggest you attach the interplane struts first and then the triple-cabane and then the final rear bracing strut.  I started with the cabane and found that it required some held breath, some light cursing and a fair amount of wiggling to get everything aligned.  I have decided that if I had come from the other direction, this would not have been an issue.  But, yes.  They struts all fit, are of the correct lengths and are not made of a plastic so brittle that they snap into three pieces when you remove them from the sprue.  This did not happen at all.  Thank you Eduard!  Nice little kit.

I'll get the undercarriage attached tonight, glue on the control horns for the upper wing, rig it--all four pieces of stretched sprue (thank you Anthony Fokker)--and call it finished and shelf worthy.

--John

• Like 6