Eduard 1/72nd scale Fokker DVII (OAW), Ltn. Franz Buchner, Jasta 13, 1918...

Finally, finally, finally...I have been waiting for this day for years, simply eons...I used to have more hair.  Alas...

spacer.png

Everything looks very nice.  I already have a couple of the Fokkers offered in the kit on the shelf so I will build Buchner's brightly painted 'werewolf'.  Here are the sprue, et al...

Plenty of parts, many of which I will consign to the spares.  However, if one were to have all the Datafile Fokker books, and some aftermarket decals, one could build either one of the OAW Fokkers offered here--if one were so inclined.  Buchner's had the straight vents on the engine cowling.  A second fuselage is included for the nippled vents. So...

spacer.png

This means that Eduard is really gearing up for a long and happy year or so of multiple Fokker releases, including some post-war MAG ships.  I imagine a Finnish Fokker on skis...Yes, I know there are aftermarket resin bits.  Crossed fingers folks!  I will build this one OOB, using Eduard's lozenge, etc...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I hope to start this evening.  I will try my best to document more than I usually do.  This means a lot of starts and stops for me, but I want to really show off the fit and moulding.

Happy days!

--John

• Like 8

And we're off!  I have started with the first page of the instructions which involves the cockpit and engine construction.  Some very small parts that require careful removal and handling!  The plastic is the same high quality grey-blue used with the Spitfire kits.  Very nice.  In this picture I have removed the pieces I will be using and pried them very carefully before assembly and/or painting or decal adhesion.

spacer.png

The seat and supports will get a bit of RLM02 after they are attached to the backboard, which has a decal that must dry fully first.  In fact there are a few small decals that

must dry fully before I continue any further.  

spacer.png

The engine is mostly assembled; the canvas "backboard" has it's lozenge fabric; the instrument panel and floorboard is almost ready. All of this will dry for a few hours and then parts will be assembled, RLM02 applied, etc...then on to page 2!  So far so good.  Having built some of the 1/48th scale DVII kits from Eduard, I will say this is not a scaled down version of that kit.  It is a whole new ball of wax.

spacer.png

--John

• Like 6

A bit more...

Scraped off the moulded throttle and fuel pump, added the lozenge inside and the the better PE throttle and scratch-built pump.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Finished the motor, attached the seat to the seat back, harness, attached the instrument panel to the ammunition feed box.

spacer.png

spacer.png

--John

• Like 8

That looks like a very nice kit, and great progress so far.

Unfortunately I already have a D.VII in my collection so won't be buying one.

Ian

4 hours ago, Andy Robbins said:

the kit is basically a one-stop shop

I agree.  Having the right references also helps so you get the radiators and cowling louvres right.  

4 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I already have a D.VII in my collection

Thanks Ian...One can never have too many Dee Sevens! 😁

5 hours ago, Andy Robbins said:

Blue Rider do a bewildering variety of decals

Don't I know it!  I have them too...Loads of post war...even some Wichita Fokkers.

And some more...I have installed all the cockpit components and closed up the fuselage--neat as a pin, I tell you.  Snap!  In terms of detail, for this scale, there is plenty of engine and cockpit detail--more than most model companies give you, far better quality and a superior, exact fit.  Bravo Eduard!  Note:  like the Spitfire, do not paint any of the edges of surfaces that will be glued together.  You will have fit issues if you do.  

spacer.png

Leaving that section of the model to dry. set-up, etc...I will turn my attention to the wings and the complex set of decals that must be adhered to their surfaces.  There are the primary wing decals, then rib tapes galore.  I think this will take a couple of days at least.

spacer.png

This lozenge looks factory fresh, so when it is all done, dry and varnished (just like the real thing, btw...) I will give it a little weathering to tone down the colours.  

--John

• Like 9

Nice to see this started John, I recently took delivery of this new kit from Hannants.  If you want to see someone dedicated to the DVII in 1/72 have a look at Peter Hochstrasser's many builds on Modellversium http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/23-flugzeuge-ww1/14227-fokker-dvii-roden.html best to open Modellversium in Google chrome and then it will translate

Regards

Andrew

• Like 1

I like  the look of the kit very much! Must seek out a couple.  But how many wheels does one really want in a single kit?? Looking at the sprue frames two have lots of wheels (6 pairs)and lots of radiator fronts (at least 6 different ) among other repeat parts ( exhausts and engines).Just how many version of wheel s are there for a single type!!!??? I appreciate there were versions with subtle difference however but really.

By the way Your build is looking very smart. Can't wait to get one. 

6 hours ago, Paul J said:

I appreciate there were versions with subtle difference however but really.

Ah, but you see, us DVII people can be very specific, and kind of loony.  Regarding the wheels, props, etc...what's missing from the box are the other three or four distinct cooling louver designs.  This all points to a release of a Royal Series and other special issues from Eduard.  

6 hours ago, Courageous said:

I'll find out soon enough.

The decals are processing well.  I'll have some pictures this morning.   

• Like 1

Ah!  Didn't realise the tiny differences between the DVII variants.... and those wheels... weird!!! To me a pair of ww1 wheels are all the same.  Live and learn I suppose.

Here is last night's work...The decals are very thin, so be careful.  Have a soft brush, a clean toothpick, etc...handy.  Be sure to wet your fingers if you use them to adjust anything or else the decals will stick.  Much like fish.  (Hmmm...I wonder who understands that reference?)

I only adhered the top lozenge and some of the edge tapes at this point.  Yes, I know, I should done the rib tapes first, then the edge tapes, as they would have been done at the factory, but I didn't.  I will take care of the rib tapes today, do the underside lozenge tonight, more rib tapes tomorrow, etc...then a bit of varnish, then the crosses, varnish those, and set it all aside to really cure before I try to touch them too much with my fingers.  So maybe Friday I'll get back to the fuselage and empannage.  

spacer.png

The ribs are not so pronounced as they look in the image.  It's a trick of the light.  

--John

• Like 9

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

(Hmmm...I wonder who understands that reference?

Before touching a fish (to release it from the hook) the fingers must be wet or the fish's skin will be damaged.

Richard

(Heard this some 50 years ago, so I do hope it's more or less correct.)

1 minute ago, Richard502 said:

Richard

You are exactly correct Richard.  This is especially true with any fish you plan on catching and releasing.  If your fingers are dry you will remove the 'slimy' waterproof  protective layer fro the fish's skin, thus rendering it open to the damaging effects of the water, parasites, etc...Basically you'll kill the fish.  

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Great job

Thank you Clive.  I'll get there.

4 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

perish the thought!  😁  

Let's not discuss PC-10...:deadhorse:

Goes to show WW1 aeroplanes are not my best subject... but like a lot of the types without going to depth about all their differences. Lovely subjects though.

Topside rib tapes, lozenge, etc...done!  I'll start in on the underside this evening.  The rib tapes went on easily and settled with little fuss.  One thing to note, the decals are not sized so the tapes fr the top wing are actually 1/3 longer than needed.  That is ok.  Waste not.  The bottom wing they are twice the length needed.  

spacer.png

--John

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Topside rib tapes, lozenge, etc...done!  I'll start in on the underside this evening.  The rib tapes went on easily and settled with little fuss.  One thing to note, the decals are not sized so the tapes fr the top wing are actually 1/3 longer than needed.  That is ok.  Waste not.  The bottom wing they are twice the length needed.  

spacer.png

--John

Hi John,

Impressive work. Did you use any Micro Set and/or Micro Sol... ...or only hot water? You didn't paint the wings before applying those decals?

Cheers / André